Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade my graphics card nvidia Gt220

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2012 7:49:44 PM

Hello,
I have a dell 8000 studio xps with a nvidia gt-220 graphics card. I recently bought cyberlink power director 10 and ever since my graphics card has been overheating and my fan is maxed out. Gpu clock is at 84ºC and fan at 100%.. the computer has shut down a few times when producing hd videos. (a real pain)
details of system
Dell studio xps 8000
Ram 12gb
Intel I7- 860 2.80ghz
Windows 7 64bit.
Power supply- max output 350w
I don´t mind if I need to upgrade the power supply. My budget for the is 300-500 euro.
Another thing, I live in Spain and my computer always run a little hot during the summer. I would also appreciate any advice on how I can improve the cooling or ventilation of my computer. The fan is always flat out. I clean the fans inside regularly but it doesn´t make much difference.

Would greatly appreciate any help.
New to all this, but a quick study.
Thanks Brian
a b Î Nvidia
a c 236 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 8:10:26 PM

since all you are doing is video editing, you don't need a monster gaming video card so no need to upgrade the PSU. you just want an card with a good cooler. in fact installing 1-2 case fans may do the job for you by cooling your hardware since DELL rarely puts more then one fan in their case, if any, and often it's of poor quality.

i would install an after market fan (or two) first and see if that solves your problem.

if you do want to upgrade then check out some of the AMD offerings. they often run more efficient then Nvidia in entry card levels. Also, a card with a bigger cooler will often help keeps temps down then smaller cards with small fans.
some cards to check out

ATI 5570
AMD 6570

AMD 6570 with small fan

AMD 6570 with larger fan
a b Î Nvidia
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 20, 2012 5:23:54 AM

I think 6670 will be fine for you, but since you have a large budget, you can of course get higher cards.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 176 U Graphics card
May 20, 2012 5:35:42 AM

You can also try blowing out the heatsinks of any dust that has been trapped in there. Should drop the temps if thats the issue.
May 20, 2012 7:50:39 AM

refillable said:
I think 6670 will be fine for you, but since you have a large budget, you can of course get higher cards.

Will I have any problem fiiting these cards into my mother board? I would like a card that is a good bit better than the one I have.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 20, 2012 7:57:04 AM

As long as you have one vacant PCI-E x16 you should be good to go. 6670 is definitely better than 220.
May 20, 2012 8:13:01 AM

refillable said:
As long as you have one vacant PCI-E x16 you should be good to go. 6670 is definitely better than 220.

I ws just going to remove thegt-220 and replace it with the new graphic card. That will be ok, No?
Sorry for all the questions. New to this but have electrical background. thanks for your help
a b Î Nvidia
a c 176 U Graphics card
May 20, 2012 11:50:21 AM

There is a slight chance you could get a driver issue. I would remove your Nvidia drivers, shut down and pull the card, and put in the new one. Then power back up and install the newest drivers off the web. (might help to download those first so you still have normal sized windows.) If after doing it this way you get crazy stuff happening, then try a driver sweeper program.
!