Sign in with
Your question

Suggestion for alternate PSU. EDIT! :It's my VGA card :(

Last response: in Components
November 23, 2012 11:55:32 AM

Hi guys.

So, I think my PSU is borked. It's been raining like crazy the past few weeks with thunder and all that so I guess that's why.
The PSU I'm currently using is a Seasonic X650 Gold Modular 650w.
Since today, everytime I try to startup my PC, it flickers for half a second and then dies again. The light turns on, the CPU fan moved but that's it, just half a second.

So yeah, my main guess is the PSU. I've yet to try out with another PSU because I don't have a spare one to test with.

My specs :
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz
ASRock P67 Extreme6 (CPUSocket)
1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (MSI)
2 HDD's
1 DVD ROM

I am ready to buy a new one because I couldn't find the receipt nor the guarantee thingy for the PSU :( 
Problem is, I'm kinda short on cash. And last time I checked, the PSU I'm using is still around (when dollarized) $160, which is too steep for me.
This rig is my first high-end PC so I've never tried any other kinds of PSU. My friend recommended Corsair, Thermaltake, or Cooler Master.

My questions are :
1. Is it the PSU? (it's most likely tbh)
2. Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening again? I do use a stabilizer, but alas..
3. Any recommendations for a new one? A cheaper alternative please :( 
4. Is 650w too big for my current spec?

Big THANK YOU in advance.

EDITED for the 4th question

ADDED EDIT : Turns out it was my VGA card that was borked. So I've no choice but to buy a new one. The only one I can afford right now is
Gigabyte Geforce GTX660 2048MB DDR5 - GV-N66OC-2GD
And I'm going to buy a UPS to prevent this tragedy again.

Questions :
1. Alternative VGA? That is not far (performance wise) from my old one "1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (MSI)"
2. What wattage capacity UPS should I get? and a recommended brand would be nice. The store guy told me to buy a ICA CP1400 VA + AVR

I will be scouring the net to find a good alternative, but any inpputs from you guys would be very2 helpful too.

Thank you in advance.
a c 712 ) Power supply
November 23, 2012 11:59:25 AM

Corsair, Antec, XFX or OCZ. The Corsair CX600 is often on deals but pointless to bring up unless we know where you are shopping.
m
l
November 23, 2012 12:03:43 PM

Thank you for the reply.

I forgot to ask one more thing.
Is 650w too big for my specs? because if it is, i can cut prices by buying a 'weaker' one.

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. We rarely have sales :( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 712 ) Power supply
November 23, 2012 12:11:13 PM

Your system will run fine on 550watts with 38amps total on +12 volt rails.
m
l
November 23, 2012 12:18:17 PM

Phew, my and I wallet says thanks.
And, 'fine' as in just sufficient, or 'I don't have to worry'? Sorry for being nitpicky, just wanted to make sure.

I see the CX600 has a nice price.
It's not modular though. I've read that modular and not doesn't have any difference besides cable management. And a 'myth' that Modular PSU's are inconsistent.

Should I be worried about that?
m
l
a c 712 ) Power supply
November 23, 2012 12:23:06 PM

I posted Manufacturers recommended PSU size based on generic units Quality units you probably can drop down to 500watts if the amps requirement is met.
Modular is fine nothing to worry about.
m
l
November 30, 2012 1:40:07 PM

Turns out it was my VGA card that was borked. So I've no choice but to buy a new one. The only one I can afford right now is
Gigabyte Geforce GTX660 2048MB DDR5 - GV-N66OC-2GD
And I'm going to buy a UPS to prevent this tragedy again.

Questions :
1. Alternative VGA? That is not far (performance wise) from my old one "1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (MSI)"
2. What wattage capacity UPS should I get? and a recommended brand would be nice. The store guy told me to buy a ICA CP1400 VA + AVR

I will be scouring the net to find a good alternative, but any inpputs from you guys would be very2 helpful too.

Thank you in advance.
m
l
!