FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, Maxtor announced their ATA/133 drives, accoring to a story in the <A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/20741.html" target="_new">Register</A>.

However, look at this:
Ultra ATA/133 is backward compatible with the existing ATA standard. PC users who want to upgrade from Ultra ATA/100 to Ultra ATA/133 will need to purchase a compliant adapter card or system motherboard along with the new hard drives.

What kind of doublt-talking BS is that? It's backward compatible as long as you buy new stuff for it?

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Probably meant if one wants to take advantage of the increase in the transfer rate. Should have rephrase it.

It don't come easy.......not always.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Your original interpretation is incorrect. If you read it again you will see that it clearly says it's backward compatible, BUT if you want ATA133 you need a compliant adapter card or MB.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

G

Fatburger, it is really quite simple. It says it is fully backward compatible, which means it'll work in systems that do not have ATA133 capabilities, which means it'll run at ATA100 or 66, or 33(please, nobody volunteer that you have ATA33). Then there is a period, end of that sentence. If you want to utilize the full capability of the new drive, and run it at ATA133, get a new card or mobo that supports it, although I don't think there are any mobos yet, they just announced it!
Hope these most likely PCI cards don't cost too much, kinda interested in one later.
deez

FatBurger

Illustrious
I understood it when I read the article. I was just pointing out the new technology and the badly written article, not my own ignorance :)

And they're still in bargaining talks with different companies. Promise and Via have agreed to use the new technology, HighPoint hasn't yet (but surely will). Don't know about the rest.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i saw that a few days ago.
ATA 133

hmmms

personally i really dont think we will see any performance improvement to be honest.
how much increase was there from ata66 to 100?
the only thing that increases is the burst transfer speed.
after that, your drive settles down to its usual sustained transfer rate of 20-40mb/sec

if they really want to improve performance they should upp the IDE speed to 10k rpm (which is quite possible & i believe a few eperimental drive exist) or even have two (2) independent head assemblies, on opposite sides of the disk.
i imagine that would have some considerable technical issues to overcome, but it WOULD very cool... somewhat similar to to an internal raid array :)

is this a neat idea or am i just as loopy as my hamster?

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.