Computer randomly not booting up after Win logo

burnout78

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

My computer is experiencing the following issue: sometimes it will beep on startup, go past the BIOS welcome screen, show the Windows 7 loading logo, and then...nothing. Scren will show 'NO INPUT SIGNAL' and then screen will go into 'GO TO SLEEP MODE'.

Other times the computer will boot up with absolutely no problems and it will run games and everything OK, so this problem is very confusing.

Went into device manager and noticed that this has a yellow sign: LPC Intel(R) ICH9R - 2916. Not sure if that can be the problem because if that was the problem it wouldnt be intermitent.

The problem is totally random, when it gets into sleep mode I will push caps lock and the led on the keyboard wont change, meaning its not just a video input problem. I must hard reset when this happens, and sometimes it takes up to 3 or 4 attempts to get it working. I am afraid I will screw up the PC if it keeps doing it but I dont know how to fix it.

I opened the case and made sure all wires are properly connected. It seemed to fix the problem for a while but now its happening again. The computer is in a place where it doesnt move at all.

If it was some hardware related problem it would give some beeping code, right? Internal speaker is on because it beeps when it starts to boot.

Some info:

The PC is 3 years old:
Windows 7 ultimate 64bits, 4GB of RAM
Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
nVIDIA GeForce GTX260

Any ideas on what could be possibly going on?

Im am not sure, but i belive it is either a HDD issue (id bet on this if i had to), and it seems your HDD is close to death. I suggest you make a backup of your data ASAP.

As i said, its waht id bet on, but there is a chance its somethin else like a virus.

It seems to be quite serious. I thought it was your display dying, but I believe now it is your motherboard. Unfortunately, the beeping code are not an ideal monitoring tool.

Your keyboard freezing point to that. I don't think that hard rebooting your system will damage it. It can corrupt some files, but it doesn't usually impact the hardware. I was having a weak power supply and a really power hungry video card and it was about the only time where I understood it could be dangerous for the hardware.

You should check if your mobo is still under warantee and try to have an RMA. This is what I would personally do.

That's another plausible cause. More I think about it, I believe Mr cat is right and your hard drive is dying. I had a similar login situation failing before. What bother me is your caps lock...

burnout78

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Been reading about symptomps of a failing drive and I hear no noises, never get BSODs, it doesnt freeze and windows check didnt find anything...

Will backup data just in case but Im still puzzled, right now it booted at the first try...

burnout78

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi again...just so anyone runs into the same problem. I deleted the driver with the yellow sign (LPC Intel(R) ICH9R - 2916) and since then it has been booting up fine each and every time.

Weird! but fixed :)