Custom Build Advice - Linux Compatibility

drmrgd

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I'm doing some legwork right now in preparation for possibly putting together a new build. My old computer's done a great job, but it's time to retire that one and get something that's going to fit my needs a bit more. Rather than going the tired old Dell route, I'm thinking of building this one - something I haven't done since it was a big deal to put a Pentium processor in your box!

I want to build something pretty hefty that's going to accommodate high end gaming, as well as high end computational work (massive number crunching with massive data sets). I will plan to dual boot Kubuntu (my main OS) and Windows 7 (sadly only for gaming...can't wait until Linux catches up in this field!).

This is my wishlist for now, and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me determine whether or not this hardware will be compatible with Kubuntu, and whether or not I'm setting myself up for a headache trying to get this to work. Right now I'm looking at:

EVGA nVIDA GeForce GTX 680 FTW
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz 6-core CPU
Sabertooth X79 LGA2011-X79 Motherboard
Corsair (750TXV2) 750 Watt Power Supply (not sure if this enough or too much...advice?)
Corsair 16GB DDR3 Quad Channel Memory Kit @ 1866MHz (will start here and upgrade to 32GB later if needed)
Case (thinking either Corsair Carbide 500R or Cooler Master 690 II Advanced although the jury's still out on that.)
Dell U2412M 24" UltraSharp Monitor

I haven't decided how I'm going to go in terms of hard drives yet. I like the idea of putting my OSes on an SSD drive. But, it's a bit expensive and I'm not yet convinced the technology is worth the extra cost yet. I'll see where I'm at financially after all's said and done and decide what I want to do from there.

Just looking around on Google, it looks like I found someone who was trying to set up a Linux Mint system with almost the same exact specs as I'm proposing, and had a hard time getting things to work well. But, that might have been a Kernel or two ago, and things might be OK now as it might have been bad memory or bad BIOS settings. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this build and whether or not everything looks OK.

drmrgd

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Thanks for the tips. I didn't realize how good the GTX670 is, and given the price, it's definitely a better deal!

Looks like this system should work out OK from what I can tell. Time to start shopping...