I3,i5,i7 generations

jerryshardware

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Hello,

What is the difference between i3/i5/i7 2nd generation and the i3/i5/i7 3rd generation intel processors?

Please reply,thank you.
----------------------------------
jerryshardware

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The first and second have different sockets, the second and third have the same sockets, the first is 45nm and second gen are 32nm, the third gen is 22nm.

Not sure what else you meant by difference.

Basically the difference between the 2nd gen (Sandy Bridge) & 3rd gen (Ivy Bridge) is the the following:

1. Slightly lower power consumption.
2. 6% average increase in performance (assuming same clock speed).
3. Improved integrated graphics. Ivy Bridge has either the HD 4000 or HD 2500 depending on the CPU model. Sandy Bridge has either the HD 3000 or HD 2000 depending on the CPU model.
4. Core i5 and Core i7 Ivy Bridge CPUs includes circuitry which supports PCI-e 3.0 slots. The Core i3 Ivy Bridge CPUs only supports PCI-e 2.0 slots. This means if an Ivy Bridge Core i3 CPU is placed in a motherboard with a PCI-e 3.0 slot, it will act as a PCI-e 2.0 slot.

jerryshardware

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

Thank you. What does nm mean?

jay_nar2012

Distinguished

That is inaccurate, the 1st gen isn't ancient, the 1st gen i series came out in 2010.

NM stands for Nanometers, this unit is used to measure the CPU die as it is very small.

1 nanometer is a billionth of a meter.

Smaller dies can accept the same amount and more transistors than bigger dies and they can reduce power consumption, heat output (depending on architecture), production cost (more CPU dies are made from a single silicon wafer).

TRENDING THREADS