Sign in with
Your question

Loss of signal from video card on boot-up

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2012 11:29:37 PM

I have just built my new computer, running 64-bit Windows 7, the parts included are:

ASUS M5A97 motherboard
VisonTek AMD Radeon HD 7850 video card
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU
750W PSU
ViewSonic 1080p 24" LED Monitor

The issue I am having is when I boot up, I get to the Starting Windows screen, and as soon as it finishes, my graphics card seems to stop working, and I get no input on my monitor.

I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my video card. I also run into the same problem when trying to boot in low-resolution mode. The only way I can make it onto my desktop is through safe mode. I assume it has something to do with my video card, but I can't say for sure.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 11:41:30 PM

go into the device manager in safe mode (of course) and see if windows recognizes the video card.

the difference between "normal" booting and safe mode is no drivers for the card is used in safe mode, so that tells me that is where the problem is.
July 12, 2012 11:46:26 PM

It does recognize the card, and since I have no on board video, thats the only one that shows up. I've thought of getting older drivers for it, but the website doesn't offer them, nor can I find an older driver online when I search.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 12:29:41 AM

try using driver sweeper
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
in safe mode then reboot into the desktop. windows should use its default driver until you reinstall the ATI driver.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 187 U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 12:36:18 AM

are you using a blue vga cable from the monitor to the video card then an adaptore or are you usign a straight white cable from the video card to the monitor. if it a white dvi cable go into your monitor settings and see what the monitor is set for..digital or vga (analog). also on another computer google the monitor info..see what the spec are fore it video settings.. on older tube monitors your error is when someone sets the video output of the video card higher then the monitor can handle. most new monitors will say out of range if the video card is set higher then the monitor. (a work around if it is a out of range issue right now is boot into safe mode and under the video driver set the monitor to 640 by 480 or 600 by 800.
most time now it people using a video card that has the white ports and they use an adaptor and the blue vga cable. sometime the adaptor works some times it blocks the vga signal to the monitor.
!