"Popping" sound inside my PC every now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hello. I've recently built the pc in my sig and I'm having what could be an issue? Not sure. I'm hearing a popping sound not too frequently in side my computer. Maybe 1-2 times per day. I read up on this problem online and so far I've seen it can be motherboard conductor capacitors thingies being burnt, those small cylinder-shaped metal pieces on the mobo, and they AREN'T burnt or anything since I opened the case and checked.

I also read it could be about HDD failure but my 2 HDDs are running flawlessly. My SSD is fine as well if it matters.

edit: I also want to add that my case on the back (NZXT Phantom Black Case) has many cables. A 24 pin, 8 pin, etc.. I was cable managing and just stuffed the cables on the back of the case. I closed it and of course the case didn't close easy but it did close completely. The upper left corner of the case just comes off slightly. Some of these cables are against a grill for air flow on the back side of the case so maybe these cables being constricted down may cause the sound? I'm just thinking of anything at this point. Here's a picture of the cables and the fan grill.

http://i.imgur.com/IyMDB.jpg (See the thicker cables on the right side against the grill?) These cables are thick because they are sleeved with tiny holes on the sleeves. I have a Corsair HX750 watt modular power supply.

My CPU cooler is a CoolerMaster V6 GT.

Thanks in advance.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Update: Happened a good 2-3 times today, it's getting more frequent, not too much though but it worries me it might be something far more serious.

Like I said before there is load on the back of the case with the cables, see how the fat 24 pin PSU -> Motherboard connector is in a twist, could that be causing the pop noise if it's pushing the back of the case? Here's a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/e1GP0.jpg

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Now it popped in one place and seemed to quickly pop in another place near the top of my fan, sounded weird. Then I'm using really big headsets that have noise cancel so the sounds may be difficult to locate where in the case they came from.

Is it more of a popping "whoomp" like you just turned a speaker on/off, or more of a pop/click sound? If you hear the second one, and it happens repeatedly, as often as not it's just something loose inside the case that's dangling down near a fan and gets hit by it every so often, or bangs against something else. You may want to check that there are no loose ends, no pun intended.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for a reply!

Sounds more like a pop.

I do have to add though that my cpu cooler (Coolermaster v6 gt) has a 4 pin cable going DOWN the case so that an LED on it powers up and it meets a power supply 4 pin connecter. It rests at the end of my graphics card's PCB. Maybe it could be that? So many possibilities that the sound can be coming from.

What sounds would give signs that it would be a more serious issue like HDD failure etc..?

fenderspeed

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
I have the same case, power supply and gpu as you do and I am experiencing similar sounds. Every so often (mainly when playing games) the pc makes what can best be described as a "popping" or settling sound. It does sound like it may be coming from the case itself an not any of the componets maybe... Have you ever figured out what was making the noise? Does anybody else out there own a phantom and have similar issues? I am just betting its the weak metal in the side doors flexing with changes in temperature or fan vibrations...Anyone?

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I have never seen this in a computer case, but I have seen sheet metal "pop" when temperature changes, when the sun comes out for example, its very common. I suppose could happen in a computer case as the system heats and cools.

ArcticArios

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
i have this same problem with my NZXT phantom 410 case sounds like its coming from the top like the case is popping when the temp outside vs inside are different temps the plastic pops

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I'm truly sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I believe I know the problem. When playing games the case temp changes and cause the plastics in the case to expand and when cooled off it contracts leading to the creeks and pops. I get the same thing on my corsair air540.

Lazarillo

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015

This sounds like it might be what is happening to my PC as well. Is it dangerous to the life of the machine?

Drew__

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Shouldn't be.... in a way its kind of like when you turn a car off and for a few minutes you can here banging and clinging from the engine because the metallic parts are cooling down. Sources: i have a car and the same issue with my tower

XlordB

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
My nzxt does something similar but it sounds more like somone inside the pc flicking a small ball bearing off the side of the pc. mines is the phantom 820. it does it at all different times but it is frequent enough to make me wonder what it is.

aliadam80

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
I got the same issue with my pc. What lead to the popping sounds in my set up was actually me overloading the wall power socket with too many gadgets. I switched the pc supply to another socket and so far so good. I guess the popping sounds can be caused by numerous factors. Just make sure its not socket overloading cause that can surely lead to damage if your hardware does not have safety measures in place. Cheers!!

ArchangelPT

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
For me the problem was simply a cheap case. Too much plastic parts, the heat was causing to to contract and expand when cooling and heating up respectively.

Lesson being, don't buy cheap cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS