Active Desktop wallpaper messing up icons

March 23, 2005 2:23:03 PM

I'm deploying a company wallpaper using a GPO. The wallpaper is on a network
share (although I've tried it locally as well, with the same effect), and is
assigned as an Active Desktop wallpaper. The user's ability to change the
desktop wallpaper, or any Active Desktop properties, has been disabled.

Now the policy in and of itself works fine, but I'm having an odd issue with
the icons. When the user first logs in, the icons appear just fine. When the
wallpaper applies and the desktop refreshes, some of the icons (the Internet
Explorer icon, the recycle bin, and a few others) all have an border
"outline" around them the same color as the desktop color. This happens to
some icons (mainly Windows system icons), but not others.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:18:29 AM

I dont think active desktop likes the icons alpha blending (transparency)

--
Kenny
"William Albert" <WilliamAlbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm deploying a company wallpaper using a GPO. The wallpaper is on a
> network
> share (although I've tried it locally as well, with the same effect), and
> is
> assigned as an Active Desktop wallpaper. The user's ability to change the
> desktop wallpaper, or any Active Desktop properties, has been disabled.
>
> Now the policy in and of itself works fine, but I'm having an odd issue
> with
> the icons. When the user first logs in, the icons appear just fine. When
> the
> wallpaper applies and the desktop refreshes, some of the icons (the
> Internet
> Explorer icon, the recycle bin, and a few others) all have an border
> "outline" around them the same color as the desktop color. This happens to
> some icons (mainly Windows system icons), but not others.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this, and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:18:30 AM

Anything I can do to work around that? Can I assign a wallpaper to a user
without using Active Desktop, and without visiting their machine?

"Kenny S" wrote:

> I dont think active desktop likes the icons alpha blending (transparency)
>

> --
> Kenny
> "William Albert" <WilliamAlbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm deploying a company wallpaper using a GPO. The wallpaper is on a
> > network
> > share (although I've tried it locally as well, with the same effect), and
> > is
> > assigned as an Active Desktop wallpaper. The user's ability to change the
> > desktop wallpaper, or any Active Desktop properties, has been disabled.
> >
> > Now the policy in and of itself works fine, but I'm having an odd issue
> > with
> > the icons. When the user first logs in, the icons appear just fine. When
> > the
> > wallpaper applies and the desktop refreshes, some of the icons (the
> > Internet
> > Explorer icon, the recycle bin, and a few others) all have an border
> > "outline" around them the same color as the desktop color. This happens to
> > some icons (mainly Windows system icons), but not others.
> >
> > Any ideas on what could be causing this, and how to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks.

March 24, 2005 7:05:02 PM

"William Albert" wrote:

> Anything I can do to work around that? Can I assign a wallpaper to a user
> without using Active Desktop, and without visiting their machine?
>
> "Kenny S" wrote:
>
> > I dont think active desktop likes the icons alpha blending (transparency)
> >

> > --
> > Kenny
> > "William Albert" <WilliamAlbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm deploying a company wallpaper using a GPO. The wallpaper is on a
> > > network
> > > share (although I've tried it locally as well, with the same effect), and
> > > is
> > > assigned as an Active Desktop wallpaper. The user's ability to change the
> > > desktop wallpaper, or any Active Desktop properties, has been disabled.
> > >
> > > Now the policy in and of itself works fine, but I'm having an odd issue
> > > with
> > > the icons. When the user first logs in, the icons appear just fine. When
> > > the
> > > wallpaper applies and the desktop refreshes, some of the icons (the
> > > Internet
> > > Explorer icon, the recycle bin, and a few others) all have an border
> > > "outline" around them the same color as the desktop color. This happens to
> > > some icons (mainly Windows system icons), but not others.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on what could be causing this, and how to fix it?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

I did some searching, and came across Knowledge Base article Q305117. This
is a known issue, and Microsoft recommends not enabling Active Desktop
content.

Is there any way to deploy a wallpaper to all machines using group policy,
prevent them from changing it from a web browser's "Set As Wallpaper"
feature, without using Active Desktop?
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:13:46 PM

there must be a way.... but I do not know it.

Try posting again on the .gerenal newsgroup perhaps an MVP will help you
with that.

--

> "William Albert" wrote:
>
>> Anything I can do to work around that? Can I assign a wallpaper to a user
>> without using Active Desktop, and without visiting their machine?
>>
>> "Kenny S" wrote:
>>
>> > I dont think active desktop likes the icons alpha blending
>> > (transparency)
>> >

>> > --
>> > Kenny
>> > "William Albert" <WilliamAlbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

> I did some searching, and came across Knowledge Base article Q305117. This
> is a known issue, and Microsoft recommends not enabling Active Desktop
> content.
>
> Is there any way to deploy a wallpaper to all machines using group policy,
> prevent them from changing it from a web browser's "Set As Wallpaper"
> feature, without using Active Desktop?
April 10, 2005 4:03:02 AM

I have deployed the same.. company wall paper it is working for some clients
and not for some of them .. but the users are still able to change the
wallpaper.any comments.

Aman

"William Albert" wrote:

> I'm deploying a company wallpaper using a GPO. The wallpaper is on a network
> share (although I've tried it locally as well, with the same effect), and is
> assigned as an Active Desktop wallpaper. The user's ability to change the
> desktop wallpaper, or any Active Desktop properties, has been disabled.
>
> Now the policy in and of itself works fine, but I'm having an odd issue with
> the icons. When the user first logs in, the icons appear just fine. When the
> wallpaper applies and the desktop refreshes, some of the icons (the Internet
> Explorer icon, the recycle bin, and a few others) all have an border
> "outline" around them the same color as the desktop color. This happens to
> some icons (mainly Windows system icons), but not others.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this, and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
April 10, 2005 6:17:24 AM

Aman,

Check this edit: 142: Right hand side:

Wilbert,

Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

Also:

Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the bottom of
that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)