Storing camera in the trunk of the car

The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.

Thanks,

Ben
16 answers Last reply
More about storing camera trunk

    <kombi45@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    > out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    > my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    > roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    > shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.

    Several years ago I placed an accurate thermometer on the RF passenger floor
    in a shaded spot below the glovebox of a dark blue car. In direct S. Florida
    sun with an outside air temp of about 90º, the thermometer registered 145º.
    In a trunk I would guess it would be about the same, but a lighter colored
    paint would likely make for lower temps. Try it yourself with the
    thermometer where the gear will be, and then in a good sized ice chest. Give
    it enough time to stabilize the readings and you will know where you stand.

    kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:
    > The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    > out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    > my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    > roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    > shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ben

    Whatever you do, NEVER allow anyone to see you stashing your gear in the
    trunk and walking away. Out of sight is NOT necessarily out of someone
    else's mind.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:

    > The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    > out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    > my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    > roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    > shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ben

    I should think an ice chest with several/lots of those blue ice packs would
    help keep a camera cool, with camera in plastic bag. would be interesting
    to know how long that set up would keep equipment cool.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:58:31 -0500, "PanHandler"
    <panhandler@emptyhat.net> wrote:

    ><kombi45@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    >> out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    >> my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    >> roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    >> shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    >Several years ago I placed an accurate thermometer on the RF passenger floor
    >in a shaded spot below the glovebox of a dark blue car. In direct S. Florida
    >sun with an outside air temp of about 90º, the thermometer registered 145º.
    >In a trunk I would guess it would be about the same, but a lighter colored
    >paint would likely make for lower temps. Try it yourself with the
    >thermometer where the gear will be, and then in a good sized ice chest. Give
    >it enough time to stabilize the readings and you will know where you stand.

    Stuff in the trunk of my car stays cooler than that in the cabin.
    Never recorded by how much, though.

    kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:
    > The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    > out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    > my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    > roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    > shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ben

    My suggestion is to never store your valuable camera or computer
    equipment anywhere you would not want to be stored.

    The problems are mostly the batteries, some of which have problems with
    high temperatures and the mechanical stuff that is lubricated with grease
    and oils that tend to thin out so much when hot that they drip to where they
    should not be.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:
    > The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    > out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    > my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    > roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    > shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ben

    Do Not Do It. You'll Cook Your Camera.

    Mort

    On 13 Aug 2005 10:49:42 -0700, kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:

    >The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    >out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    >my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    >roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    >shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Ben

    The following was semi-scientifically tested by me in the nice hot
    Metro DC area summer. I would quote you the exact numbers but I can't
    seem to find the document where I wrote up my results so you'll have
    to put up with my general memory of the temperatures... If you don't
    want to wade through the whole thing skip to "Conclusions" at the
    bottom.

    The vehicle was a white 1999 Honda with slightly tinted windows.

    The camera bag was a Tamrac System 6 (well padded/black cordura
    exterior)

    The blanket was a heavy "Chief Joseph" wool camping blanket.

    The Cooler was a cheap soft sided dollar store model large enough to
    hold 12 cans of soda (two sets of six, stacked on top of each other).
    The exterior of the cooler was light blue and yellow.

    The thermometer was an inexpensive Radio-Shack indoor/outdoor model
    that records the high/low temperatures.

    Thermometer anywhere in the main cabin of the vehicle maxed out at
    138.8 degrees (all reading in Fahrenheit). I would guess the total
    temp was possibly as high as 150 degrees.

    Main cabin with thermometer inside Tamrac bag was significantly cooler
    IF THE BAG WAS IN SHADE. (somewhere around 95-100 degrees).

    Main cabin with thermometer inside soft-sided cooler (no ice or
    blueice, didn't want condensation issues). Significantly cooler in
    both shade and sun (around 95 degrees max)

    Main cabin with thermometer in cooler and in Tamrac bag while under
    Chief Joseph blanket were both around 90 degrees.

    Trunk
    Trunk stayed significantly cooler at about 92-98 degrees.

    Trunk with thermometer inside Tamrac bag was significantly cooler,
    somewhere in the 88-90's.

    Trunk with thermometer inside soft-sided cooler (no ice or blueice,
    didn't want condensation issues). Significantly cooler (around 80-85
    degrees max)

    Trunk with thermometer in cooler and in Tamrac bag while under Chief
    Joseph blanket were both around 80-85 degrees.

    CONCLUSION(s)-
    1) The trunk was always better than the main cabin.

    2) The cheap soft-sided cooler helped a lot.

    3) The thick wool blanket helped a lot if the equipment was in the
    main cabin, especially if it was in the sun, but made little
    difference in the trunk.

    Since trying this experiment I usually keep my gear in it's carry bag
    (the Tamrac bag) which then rests inside a big soft-sided cooler in
    the trunk. I do NOT use ice or blueice as I would worry too much
    about moisture issues.

    Of course YMMV.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    DON'T put any digicam in your trunk! Leaks into car trunks - that turn
    them into saunas - aren't too unusual.
    Instead, keep the digicam in its case in the passenger compartment -
    covered with some cloth or paper to both shield it from direct sunlight
    and to keep it out of sight.

    Browse this gun show for FREE! Shop the
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote:
    >kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:

    >> The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    >> out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    >> my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    >> roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    >> shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ben

    >I should think an ice chest with several/lots of those blue ice packs would
    >help keep a camera cool, with camera in plastic bag. would be interesting
    >to know how long that set up would keep equipment cool.

    I don't know about Florida, but it ought to be good for about six
    hours or more in human-livable summer conditions. :-)

    But beware of condensation. Squeeze all the excess air out of
    the bag the camera (and lenses) are in. No extra air, no
    atmospheric moisture...

    --- Paul J. Gans

    kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:
    > The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    > out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    > my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    > roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    > shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ben

    First, most people would think that it is cooler in the passenger
    compartment of the car, and warmer in the trunk, which is NOT true.
    Since the trunk has no windows, the only sun heating it gets is via
    conduction through the top surface of the trunk lid, which the passenger
    compartment gets heat through the windows directly onto many of the
    interior surfaces. Since it is not stated where you live, and the sun
    angle, and ambient temp, your question can't be answered directly. Try
    parking your car with a thermometer in the passenger compartment, and
    the trunk, and read the temps after 30 minutes. I am sure the readings
    will be informative.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote:

    : I should think an ice chest with several/lots of those blue ice packs
    : would help keep a camera cool, with camera in plastic bag. would be
    : interesting to know how long that set up would keep equipment cool.

    The blue ice packs wouldn't be a good idea. First, even if the camera is
    sealed in a bag, the moisture in the empty spaces inside the camera could
    cool enough to get condensation. Also if you have ever taken a camera from
    a very AC'd room to a hot moist outdoors you will know that all surfaces
    (including lenses, mirrors, and sensors) will fog up and may take several
    min to unfog to a useable level (and may result in water spots). So I
    would suggest that placing a camera in a cooler which will tend to keep
    the camera at the temp you had the car while driving) will be best. It is
    true that if you place the cooler in the trunk to protect it from solar
    heating will be good, as long as the car is not a dark color.

    In general you do not need to cool the camera below the temp comfortable
    to your body. And come winter, keeping the camera in "body comfort" temps
    is probably best. In either case, when storing it in a parked car, keeping
    it in a cooler that traps the temp of the air while you are in the car,
    and holds this temp for a period of time would be a good idea. Placing the
    cooler in the passenger seat foot well to keep it out of the sun, and/or
    covering it with a light colored blanket/carpet/etc would increase the
    time the cooler will hold its cool. And as a side benefit, a camera in a
    cooler is much less attractive to passersby.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champpaign, IL

    In article <1123955382.591850.213920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:

    > The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    > out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    > my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    > roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    > shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.

    I wouldn't do it. Just keep your camera gear in a comfortable bag and
    carry it with you. That's what I do. When I want to go out without
    carrying my gear, I leave it at home or somewhere else that's safe.

    Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >I should think an ice chest with several/lots of those blue ice packs would
    >help keep a camera cool, with camera in plastic bag. would be interesting
    >to know how long that set up would keep equipment cool.

    But if you take camera out of the bag before camera is back up to
    ambient temp, you are going have serious fogging. DAMHIKT.

    Wes

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > In article <1123955382.591850.213920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    >> out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    >> my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    >> roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    >> shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    > I wouldn't do it. Just keep your camera gear in a comfortable bag and
    > carry it with you. That's what I do. When I want to go out without
    > carrying my gear, I leave it at home or somewhere else that's safe.

    When traveling, that is sometimes a bit difficult. I think a nice
    cooler and the trunk would do in almost any climate for a few hours. My
    camera has sat in the car in Texas heat for a couple of days (out of
    direct sun), without harm.

    --

    King Sardon wrote:
    >Put the camera directly on the floor of the trunk (but not where the
    >muffler is) and cover with insulating material.

    If you do that, sooner or later the trunk gasket will leak water in
    - usually from leaves or dirt building up as you drive, allowing rain
    or dew to enter. First time that happens - and the trunk spare-tire
    area will hold a surprising amount of water before you notice - the
    trunk becomes a sauna. Been there - but been lucky enough to not have
    anything too water-sensitive to be ruined in the trunk.

    No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    On 13 Aug 2005 10:49:42 -0700, kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:

    >The operating temperature of the D70s ranges from 32*-104*F. If I am
    >out shooting and I wanted to stash my rig, two lenses and the D70s, in
    >my trunk, how long can I comfortably leave the stuff in there if it is
    >roughly 80*-85*F outside? With luck I'll have a parking spot in the
    >shade, but it might be necessary to park in an open space.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Ben

    Put the camera directly on the floor of the trunk (but not where the
    muffler is) and cover with insulating material. On long trips I have a
    sleeping bag and pillow with me and use these. Or use a blanket (as
    already suggested by Drifter). The floor of the trunk will be at about
    the same temp as the outside, and the blanket that you use will
    insulate it from the heat trying to come in from above.

    Ideally you should carry the camera with you, but me, speaking from
    experience, find it a tremendous relief to be rid of it for a while.
    (Helps alleviate that groove that the strap digs into your
    shoulder...)

    K.S.

Photo Cameras Temperature