Need help on buying a gaming pc.

Approximate Purchase Date: Mid August
Budget Range:$1,200
System Usage from Most to Least Important:Gaming, Web Browsing.
Parts Not Required:?
Preferred Website(s) for Parts:Don't have any I'm new to this.
Parts Preferences:Good video card to run games on maxed graphics.
Overclocking:?
SLI or Crossfire:?
Monitor Resolution:Buying a new one w/ the pc. so I'm not sure.
Additional Comments:I'm not very knowledgeable over computer parts. I'm looking for one that could help me play Runescape, WoW, and Shooters like BF3, COD, on high graphic settings. I've had this HP I got at an office depot for 5 years now. It can't handle most games on high graphics w/o lag. Any help is greatly appreciated.
12 answers Last reply
More about need buying gaming
  1. CASE: Corsair 400R
    CPU: i5 3570K(should overclock to get the most out of it)
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870 (this is the sweet spot for price/performance at the moment)
    RAM: G.skill Ripjaws-X 8GB DDR3-1333(2x4GB)
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
    PSU: CX-600 (now if you have space in your budget I would get a slightly better psu such as the corsair Tx-650 or 750)

Hope I helped :D

EDIT: should probably get the monitor 1920x1080. also ASUS monitors are the cheapest but some have more than a few problems. make sure if you get an ASUS monitor you search up any problems it might have.
  2. tuganu said:
    CASE: Corsair 400R
    CPU: i5 3570K(should overclock to get the most out of it)
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870 (this is the sweet spot for price/performance at the moment)
    RAM: G.skill Ripjaws-X 8GB DDR3-1333(2x4GB)
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
    PSU: CX-600 (now if you have space in your budget I would get a slightly better psu such as the corsair Tx-650 or 750)

Hope I helped :D

Could you maybe link me a pc w/ this in it ? Or is there a good website I could use to custom build one w/ these parts ? I don't plan on building it myself I would have no idea where to start. Btw thank you for your help.
  3. It seems that you don't know what overclocking(OC'ing) and SLI/Croosfire are. I'll define them.

OC'ing-A CPU runs at x speed. It can run at 3GHz, 2.5GHz, 3.1GHz, etc. Overclocking makes your CPU run faster. For example, an you can take a 3.4GHz CPU to 4.4GHz, and get better performance, more FPS, etc. However, you need a specific CPU, specific mob, and some cooling. You don't need some insane liquid-cooling setup. For Intel, any CPU that ends with K(i5-2500K, i5-3570K,e tc.) can be overclocked. Also, you need a specific motherboard chipset. Z68, P67, Z77, Z75 motherboard chipsets all support overclocking. You must both, and some cooling. The CPU comes with a fan, but it's not that great for overclocking. You can get a $20-$30 fan which will easily suffice, like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212.

SLI/Crossfire-You can have 1 GPU/video card to run games, but if you want to run games at very high-resolution, and you really need the performance, you can buy 2,3, or even 4 cards and they will work together to get higher FPS. It's generally not recommended if you have a single-screen setup, and you play on 1080p or the like.

I would get 8GB of 1600MHz RAM, an i5-3570K, and a GTX 670 which will play any game you want.
  4. Intensetaco said:
    Could you maybe link me a pc w/ this in it ? Or is there a good website I could use to custom build one w/ these parts ? I don't plan on building it myself I would have no idea where to start. Btw thank you for your help.

Well if you are sure you do not want to build it yourself that is fine but I think you should find a website that custom assembles according to your specs. pre-built are never really good if your goal is gaming. now unless you live in australia I cant really help you with sites that assemble it for you but I really have to stress A large benefit of building your own.
    -choose any parts you want with the ability to upgrade later
    -get exprience
    -learn something new (the human brain benefits from new lots of of information)
    -save about a hundred bucks
  5. I try to generally tell people not to buy custom-built PC's because you can literally get a computer for 1200 that's 2x as powerful as a custom-built one for $1500. Plus, those companies put no-name parts in to those computers. Newegg has a 3 video tutorial on building computers. Each is very thorough, very detailed, and about 40-50min in length.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok
  6. obsama1 said:
    I try to generally tell people not to buy custom-built PC's because you can literally get a computer for 1200 that's 2x as powerful as a custom-built one for $1500. Plus, those companies put no-name parts in to those computers. Newegg has a 3 video tutorial on building computers. Each is very thorough, very detailed, and about 40-50min in length.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

You think after watching these I will be able to assemble my own pc ? It seems like a lot of work. I really don't know a lot about comps. I just know that I wan't a good one for gaming.
  7. Yes. However, I suggest you skim them over a bit. There are a TON of tutorials, and if you ever need help whilst building it, th e community will help. :) If you just don't want to build it, I think your local PC shop will assemble it for cheaper than buying a prebuilt one.
  8. obsama1 said:
    Yes. However, I suggest you skim them over a bit. There are a TON of tutorials, and if you ever need help whilst building it, th e community will help. :) If you just don't want to build it, I think your local PC shop will assemble it for cheaper than buying a prebuilt one.

I just really don't know where to start, I'm completely lost lol. I wouldn't really know everything I need to buy. Like I know theres more than just graphic cards in a pc. But I don't know what it is exactly lol. Really wish someone could recommend a website to get prebuilt ones.
  9. Intensetaco said:
    I just really don't know where to start, I'm completely lost lol. I wouldn't really know everything I need to buy. Like I know theres more than just graphic cards in a pc. But I don't know what it is exactly lol. Really wish someone could recommend a website to get prebuilt ones.

listen mate, a month ago I was the same. I was going to spend 1500 dollars on a Pc. I didnt know squat about graphics cards and cpus. in just a month Im releatively okay with the subject. and like the other guy said those newegg 3-part tutorials really make it simple for you. if you have any confusion feel free to ask but I dont think you should buy pre-buillt without even considering how you might build one or such. let me give you basic steps
    -open motherboard
    -take of plastic and insert cpu and install cooler on top
    -install ram(by far the easiest)
    -put the risors in the case and screw motherboard in.
    -install hard drives and dvd burners.
    -install graphics card
    -wire up power supply and other cables.

And Done(I probably missed a step somewhere)
    I like to think of it as an easy jigsaw puzzle with really expensive pieces :)
  10. All you need is a screwdriver, and common sense, and you can do it. It's really just put Part A in Slot B, and it's easy as that. The hardest part is managing the cables, but that doesn't need a lot of computer know-how, haha.
  11. Intensetaco said:

but if you are getting annoyed with us trying to convince you then I think newegg.com has some pre-built gaming pcs. :D
  12. I'd find a local PC shop, and ask if they can assemble the PC for you. If they can, buy the parts, and give them to the PC shop, and have them assemble it for you. 10x better than buying a prebuilt.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems