Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

File association / editor

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • File Association
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 5:21:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Today I unintentionally brought up some Office Apps (some ctrl+alt key combination;
I'm not sure which now (p => powerpoint; e => excel; d => word; o => calendar,
c => calculator)) and now I find that if I name a file to anything.htm it gets a different
icon and when I try to edit it, up comes Microsoft FrontPage (Win XP Pro, SP2,
MS Office Pro 2003)

I do not want this. In the registry I had already manually made the appropriate
setting change so that the text says "Edit (via Emacs)" and that's what it was doing,
but no more. Now I find that some app, without asking, has changed it. That's just rude.

So my questions are:
1) How do I change the file association so that .htm files have the same icons that
they used to have (the default IE type icon).

2) How do I examine and change my key bindings. I am also interested in this
because I sometimes switch to a European keyboard layout and the swapping
of the y and z drives me nuts.

3) Does this file type usurption sound indicative of FrontPage, and can I ensure
that it does not do nasty stuff like this in the future?

Thanks for helping me set my system right.
Csaba Gabor from Vienna

More about : file association editor

March 24, 2005 5:21:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In news:%23W4WcABMFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Csaba2000 <csaba@z6.com> had this to say:

> 1) How do I change the file association so that .htm files have the
> same icons that
> they used to have (the default IE type icon).

Open My Computer > Click Tools > Click Options > Click File Types > Click
the type of file you want to change > Click Advanced > Click Change Icon


> 2) How do I examine and change my key bindings. I am also
> interested in this
> because I sometimes switch to a European keyboard layout and the
> swapping
> of the y and z drives me nuts.

Try a search for key mapping or remapkey specifically. That MIGHT do what
you want but I'm here to answer only two of these ;) 

> 3) Does this file type usurption sound indicative of FrontPage, and
> can I ensure
> that it does not do nasty stuff like this in the future?

Yes. Don't allow it to be the default opening client for saved HTML files on
your drive. Perhaps, open IE and under it's options select notepad as your
HTML editor? That'd be my guess but there's probably someone here who uses
FrontPage. HTML is meant to be writen in a text editor ;) 

Galen
--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:06:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:o s3IWmCMFHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23W4WcABMFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Csaba2000 <csaba@z6.com> had this to say:
>
> > 1) How do I change the file association so that .htm files have the same icons that
>> they used to have (the default IE type icon).
>
> Open My Computer > Click Tools > Click Options > Click File Types > Click
> the type of file you want to change > Click Advanced > Click Change Icon

Galen, this didn't work for me first time through (not sure why), but it gave me
the hints I needed, so Thanks!

Here's what I did:
To fix the editor association, I used the registry editor and went to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit\(Default) => &Edit (via emacs)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit\command\(Default) =>
"C:\Program Files\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe" -geometry 155x59 "%1"

That allowed to to edit the files as before, but the nasty icon thing was harder.
Here's what I did:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\DefaultIcon\(Default) =>
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,1

Removed HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler\
This had (Default) => {42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}
which is evidently the nasty MS Ofiice HTML Icon Handler.
Rude, nasty creature
Since that was the only entry under ShellEx I also removed
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ShellEx\

Seems like things are back to normal, so now I'll look into that keyboard remapping.

Thanks again,
Csaba Gabor from Vienna
March 24, 2005 3:06:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In news:%23xWdhHGMFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Csaba2000 <csaba@z6.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o s3IWmCMFHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> In news:%23W4WcABMFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Csaba2000 <csaba@z6.com> had this to say:
>>
>>> 1) How do I change the file association so that .htm files have
>>> the same icons that they used to have (the default IE type icon).
>>
>> Open My Computer > Click Tools > Click Options > Click File Types >
>> Click the type of file you want to change > Click Advanced > Click
>> Change Icon
>
> Galen, this didn't work for me first time through (not sure why), but
> it gave me
> the hints I needed, so Thanks!
>
> Here's what I did:
> To fix the editor association, I used the registry editor and went to:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit\(Default) => &Edit (via emacs)
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit\command\(Default) =>
> "C:\Program Files\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe" -geometry 155x59 "%1"
>
> That allowed to to edit the files as before, but the nasty icon thing
> was harder.
> Here's what I did:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\DefaultIcon\(Default) =>
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,1
>
> Removed HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler\
> This had (Default) => {42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}
> which is evidently the nasty MS Ofiice HTML Icon Handler.
> Rude, nasty creature
> Since that was the only entry under ShellEx I also removed
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ShellEx\
>
> Seems like things are back to normal, so now I'll look into that
> keyboard remapping.
>
> Thanks again,
> Csaba Gabor from Vienna

Congratulations though I'm not sure why you had to do it the hard way. So
long as it's where you need to be that's what matters in my opinion.

Galen
--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
!