Sign in with
Your question

Switching from AMD to nVidia, drivers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 20, 2012 1:24:59 AM

After i instal my nVidia card, when my system boots do i need to uninstall my old AMD Drivers and download the nvidia ones or use disk? And are the nvidia driver gui similar to AMD?
May 20, 2012 1:34:07 AM

You don't HAVE to uninstall the AMD drivers before you install the NVidia Card in your socket, but it is a good idea to avoid errors occuring if the AMD drivers try to do anything with the NVidia card!

I suggest that you download the latest NVidia drivers from their website (search for your specific card on the driver download section), leave these in your downloads folder ... DO NOT install them yet. Then uninstall the AMD drivers (the computer will run in 800x600 framebuffer mode after this). Then swap the cards to the NVidia one, reboot and install the NVidia drivers you downloaded.

Its generally a good idea to always get the latest drivers for all hardware from the manufacturer's website!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2012 1:34:36 AM

Download driver sweeper and new drivers fron Nvidia.
Uninstall ATI drivers.
Reboot into safe mode run driver sweeper.
Shut down.
Swap cards. boot into windows and install driver fron Nvidia.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2012 1:36:46 AM

btw how do i setup dual montiors in nvidia? Is it the same? because i boot with dual monitors and the main monitor is plugged in the bottom and side is left side. I'll probaby figure it out...
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2012 1:38:36 AM

right click on your wall paper / screen resolution / extend these displays.
m
l
May 20, 2012 1:51:36 AM

btw when i overclock the nvidia card, does the boost clock automatically set itself?
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
May 20, 2012 2:16:04 AM

mogen1000 said:
btw when i overclock the nvidia card, does the boost clock automatically set itself?

Yes, it will boost for those games that still have headroom above your base clock.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2012 2:28:04 AM

To be more clear:
Let's say for simplicity that:
The base clock is 1000MHz and the boost clock is 1050MHz.

If you overclock by 100MHz, you get:
The base clock is 1100MHz and the boost clock is 1150MHz.

And again, as mentioned if the GPU isn't bottlenecked which it often isn't if you have VSYNC enabled so are capped at 60FPS, then you'll stay at the base clock.
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
May 20, 2012 2:33:50 AM

The boost clock isn't necessarily always going to be the same, like in your example +50 mhz. It will be higher or lower depending on the amount of power headroom available to the card. It really depends on the game being played and the temperature levels of the GPU.

Techpowerup covered it pretty well.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...
m
l
!