Closed Solved

What power supply to get to support an EVGA gtx 670 FTW

Hello, I was wondering what would be the right amount of wattage power supply, and the cheapest power supply, that would be best to get to support an EVGA GTX 670 FTW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787. Thanks in advance for your time. Some of my specs are below.

Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHZ
RAM: 12 GB
Monitor: A 1400 x 900 View Sonic monitor
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what power supply support evga
  1. Best answer
    1Dan1 said:
    Hello, I was wondering what would be the right amount of wattage power supply, and the cheapest power supply, that would be best to get to support an EVGA GTX 670 FTW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787. Thanks in advance for your time. Some of my specs are below.

    Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHZ
    RAM: 12 GB
    Monitor: A 1400 x 900 View Sonic monitor


    The mfg recommends 500w minimum, and you prob should get a quality unit in that range,
    especially if the card fails during warranty and you need to RMA.

    What is your budget?
    There are some good deals in the 500-550w range.

    altho the best price/value deal I see on Newegg right now is a 650w unit:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 Nets to $50 after mir - Seasonic built

    Quality brands are Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX. There are others, but a good unit/deal
    can be found from this lsit.

    Tom
  2. An overclocked GTX requires more than 500w imo. Get a 600w+ unit from a good brand like toyftw mentioned and play it safely :)
  3. technoholic said:
    An overclocked GTX requires more than 500w imo. Get a 600w+ unit from a good brand like toyftw mentioned and play it safely :)


    No. It does not. In fact a system with a GTX 660 needs a recomended 430w power supply.

    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

    Anything in the 450-500 watt range from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ or Antec will ensure a good quality unit.
  4. Any of these will do quite well. The Seasonic X460 is likely out of your price range but is the best in quality by a mile and fanless so is essentially silent. The Seasonic made PC Power and Cooling MK III is second best and would be my choice. It's modualr as well.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014020&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=58%7C17%2D703%2D035%5Eicn%5Fironegg%5Foverlay%5F125x94%23%2C17%2D371%2D004%5E17%2D371%2D004%2D02%23%2C17%2D139%2D027%5E17%2D139%2D027%2DTS%2C17%2D151%2D099%5E17%2D151%2D099%2DTS%2C17%2D256%2D065%5E17%2D256%2D065%2DTS

    Edit: Try this if that link failed.

    http://tinyurl.com/a4skvbl
  5. anort3 said:
    No. It does not. In fact a system with a GTX 660 needs a recomended 430w power supply.

    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

    Anything in the 450-500 watt range from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ or Antec will ensure a good quality unit.


    Actually - the Mfg of the 670ftw recommends 500w minimum. I'm aware he can get by with less,
    but if he has to RMA the card, you don't want the mfg to "have a way out" of the warranty
    by having less than 500w.

    Tom
    Learn more about the EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR


    Model
    Brand
    EVGA
    Model
    02G-P4-2678-KR

    Interface
    Interface
    PCI Express 3.0 x16

    Chipset
    Chipset Manufacturer
    NVIDIA
    GPU
    GeForce GTX 670
    Core Clock
    1006MHz
    Boost Clock
    1084MHz
    CUDA Cores
    1344

    Memory
    Effective Memory Clock
    6208MHz
    Memory Size
    2GB
    Memory Interface
    256-bit
    Memory Type
    GDDR5

    3D API
    DirectX
    DirectX 11
    OpenGL
    OpenGL 4.2

    Ports
    HDMI
    1 x HDMI
    DisplayPort
    1 x DisplayPort
    DVI
    2 x DVI

    General
    RAMDAC
    400 MHz
    Max Resolution
    2560 x 1600 (DL-DVI)
    3D VISION Game Ready
    Yes
    SLI Support
    SLI Ready
    Cooler
    With Fan
    System Requirements
    Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps.)
    Power Connector
    2 x 6 Pin
    Dual-Link DVI Supported
    Yes
    HDCP Ready
    Yes
    Card Dimensions
    10" x 4.38"
  6. It's a 660 not a 670 and I completely trust Realhardtechx. Even their 430w number assumes a generic power supply.

    Anandtech got their GTX 660 system to pull 287 watts at load. Of course that's with an overclocked 6 core i7 3960X.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family/16

    Techspot got 292 watts. Also with a 6 core i7 3960X.

    http://www.techspot.com/review/572-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660/page11.html

    With a quality power supply 350 watts is more than enough. The PC Power and Cooling I recommended is a 500w model.

    By the way your link above to the Corsair 650TX says it's made by Seasonic. Corsair dropped the TX V2. The TX V3 is what's sold now. The 550TX, 550TXM, 650TX and 650TXM are now made by CWT. The 750TX, 750TXM, 850TX and 850TXM are mde by Chicony Power Technology ( HiPro ) and no reviews have been released yet. I am holding off on recommending the TX line until someone puts them on a load tester.
  7. And ignore everything I posted because somehow I thought he was asking about a GTX 660 non Ti. That's what I get for having multiple tabs open. :whistle:
  8. anort3 said:
    It's a 660 not a 670 and I completely trust Realhardtechx. Even their 430w number assumes a generic power supply.

    Anandtech got their GTX 660 system to pull 287 watts at load. Of course that's with an overclocked 6 core i7 3960X.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family/16

    Techspot got 292 watts. Also with a 6 core i7 3960X.

    http://www.techspot.com/review/572-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660/page11.html

    With a quality power supply 350 watts is more than enough. The PC Power and Cooling I recommended is a 500w model.

    By the way your link above to the Corsair 650TX says it's made by Seasonic. Corsair dropped the TX V2. The TX V3 is what's sold now. The 550TX, 550TXM, 650TX and 650TXM are now made by CWT. The 750TX, 750TXM, 850TX and 850TXM are mde by Chicony Power Technology ( HiPro ) and no reviews have been released yet. I am holding off on recommending the TX line until someone puts them on a load tester.


    1Dan1's post is for an EVGA 670FTW, not a 660, and that's the info I replied to.

    The Corsair TX 650 v2 (Seasonic built )is still avail @ Newegg, I'm aware Corsair has dropped it,
    but there's still goods in the marketplace, hence the ads.

    Tom
  9. anort3 said:
    And ignore everything I posted because somehow I thought he was asking about a GTX 660 non Ti. That's what I get for having multiple tabs open. :whistle:



    LOL - sorry - didn't see this til after I posted.

    cheers
  10. Or here is another one, very good bang for the bucks and a best-seller:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

    *** Edit ***: I just saw that Toyftw already recommended it, you read my mind bro!
  11. Best answer selected by 1Dan1.
  12. toyftw said:
    The mfg recommends 500w minimum, and you prob should get a quality unit in that range,
    especially if the card fails during warranty and you need to RMA.

    What is your budget?
    There are some good deals in the 500-550w range.

    altho the best price/value deal I see on Newegg right now is a 650w unit:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 Nets to $50 after mir - Seasonic built

    Quality brands are Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX. There are others, but a good unit/deal
    can be found from this lsit.

    Tom


    Thanks alot for your help! Much appreciated. I will more than likely go with the power supply you reccomended, thanks a bunch. Well within my budget.
  13. Thank you everyone for your feedback, help, and suggestions!
  14. 1Dan1 said:
    Thanks alot for your help! Much appreciated. I will more than likely go with the power supply you reccomended, thanks a bunch. Well within my budget.


    Gr8 - good luck with your new upgrades.

    Tom
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx EVGA Support Components Product