Am i being bottlenecked?

ben4933

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I recently purchased a graphics card upgrade, the ati radeon hd 6850. but i still find myself with low frames in some games, usially games with allot of AI and open terrain, such as planetside 2.

when im playing games acording to EVGA precision my graphics card uses roughly 35-40% load and never goes any higher.

the proccessor i currently have is AMD phenom II x4 840. is my proccessor stopping my graphics card from performing at its peak?

if so is there any recomendations on proccessor upgrades i can fit into my machine to get better performance

my motherboard is Gigabyte m68mt-s2p and the proccesor 'package' is AM3 (938)

thank you for all the help you can provide beforehand.

obsama1

Distinguished
Planetside 2 is still a bit unoptimized. People with 680's and i7s have only 30FPS.
The games also doesn't like AMD CPU's. There's nothing wrong with your rig. It's just the way the game is optimized. Try updating Windows and your GPU driver to 12.11 to get better performance.

ben4933

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

thanks for the reply, i am unsatisfied with other things, such as render times, takes 2 hours to render out a clip of 15 minutes.

would i see a noticable difference from upgrading to a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition?