Are these good gaming computer specs?

tpatkinson12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
hi I'm new to making my own computers and i want to make a gaming computer. this is what i think is good (really just guessing here...).
i have roughly a $2000 budget
case- corsair obsidian 650d
processor- intel i7-2600k 3.4ghz LGA 1155 95w quad-core
motherboard- ASRock z68Extreme3 Gen3 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU- Corsair Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W Power Supply
RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Video card- EVGA 026-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
SSD- OC2 Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
HDD- Seargate Barracuda XT 2TB 3.5" SATA 6.0GB/s Internal Hard Drive-Bare Drive
DVD ROM- Sony Black SATA DVD ROM Drive Model DDV1681S-0B-OEM
CPU COOLER- Logisys computer IC215PWM 100mm Hydro Theta 15 PWM Intel CPU cooler

haven't decided or even looked into monitors, keyboards, or mice..

of course i will want windows 7 64 bit!

would be a great help if anyone could help me out i just want the best gaming computer i can get for around $2000

Thanks so much if you help out!

-Thomas

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Although I'm not familiar with that particular CPU cooler, that's a fantastic build. The only thing I would change, though, since your top budget is $2000...

The i7 is way overkill for games. Drop the i7 sandy bridge and get an i5 Ivy Bridge - i5 3570k. Get the same motherboard except in the Z77 version. Price should be about the same or a little less (could be wrong), but your performance will be great, and you'll have an easier time with future upgrades.

tpatkinson12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

alright thanks so much! any suggestions for monitor, mouse and keyboard?

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I don't own one personally, but I've heard a lot of good things about this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

It's a 23-inch 1080p monitor. I don't know anything about monitors at higher res. 2ms response time, so good for gaming and general use. Also, not too pricey, and it has DVI and HDMI hookups.

As far as keyboards, I'm not a big one for expensive gaming keyboards. I use an old HP keyboard I got in 2007 with a prebuilt computer package. For a long time, I used the mouse I got there too, but for the past few years I've been a Logitech wireless laser mouse. The only specific thing I like on a mouse are the forward/back buttons on the left side for the thumb; makes internet browsing a lot simply.

Hope that helps!

An i7 is completely necessary for gaming. an i5 2500K will save you some cash. The i7 has a feature (HyperThreading) that no game on the market now, nor likely ever will be able to use.

Other than that, you're spending a bit more on the PSU than you have to, but its a good setup.

I would swap out the OCZ SSD for an Intel, Samsung, or Crucial drive (in that order), as they're more reliable.

As for a cooler, I would go for the Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 EVO. Great coolers for only $30.

Asus and Dell make the best monitors for the $ IMO. Dell's E series and the Asus monitors are probably the best bargains. Look in the 23-24" range.

You have a lot of options for keyboards. Mechanical boards are always a good choice, just make sure to do some reading on the types of switches used and what you think you'll like if you go that route. I had a Saitek Cyborg and it was a decent board; moved up to a WASD mechanical with Cherry MX Black switches and can't go back to a normal keyboard.

For mice, I would recommend the Cyborg RAT 7. Fantastic tracking, superb design and very durable. Pretty much everything is adjustable so you're bound to find an exact fit for your hand. I would stay away from Razer as their stuff is plastic crap; Logitech is a good second choice.

Mouse pads/mats are also something to consider. I would recommend a hard plastic/metal pad. I have the Steelseries SX (since discontinued) and it's superb; my RAT 5 flies smoothly, and tracking is insanely accurate. I just got a Steelseries 9HD and it doesn't track properly, so I would advise against that one. There are also many cloth mats if you prefer less glide; I also just got a Steelseries Qck and it works well with optical mice. I feel like a BAMF at work with my generic Dell mouse and SS Qck ;)

hrath

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
I don't know about you; but if you have the money to spend then get something like I did:

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: Razer Imperator Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse

I would give both the Mouse and the Keyboard 10/10 for performance, and with a 6400dpi 4G Dual Sensor System you can really get accurate with it.
I have also heard good things about the Razer Mamba, and the Razer Naga from my friends so they are pretty good mice too.

But before I coughed up the cash for the Razer gear, I used a regular ol' wireless mouse 5000 from Microsoft; and they are great if you keep them charged.