How to take a picture of a scratch

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 13, 2005 4:48:24 PM

I trying to take a picture of my Dell Axim X3 to use on EBay. There
is a small scratch on the screen, approximately .75 inches long and
the width of a paper clip. The screen is reflective and I think my
4300 is focusing somewhere else as what I have been able to get of the
scatch is very blurry.

How can I take a picture of the device showing the scratch? Any
Ideas?

Thanks
--max
max@m99c.com

More about : picture scratch

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 7:03:32 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:48:24 -0600, in rec.photo.digital max@m99c.com
wrote:

>I trying to take a picture of my Dell Axim X3 to use on EBay. There
>is a small scratch on the screen, approximately .75 inches long and
>the width of a paper clip. The screen is reflective and I think my
>4300 is focusing somewhere else as what I have been able to get of the
>scatch is very blurry.
>
>How can I take a picture of the device showing the scratch? Any
>Ideas?

Aperture priority mode, High f-stop. Put camera in macro mode, set zoom
for the sweet spot of macro so the flower icon turns yellow. Hold your hand
to the side of the monitor and focus on it first.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
August 14, 2005 8:34:48 AM

max@m99c.com wrote:
: I trying to take a picture of my Dell Axim X3 to use on EBay. There
: is a small scratch on the screen, approximately .75 inches long and
: the width of a paper clip. The screen is reflective and I think my
: 4300 is focusing somewhere else as what I have been able to get of the
: scatch is very blurry.

: How can I take a picture of the device showing the scratch? Any
: Ideas?

First, use a macro lens.

Second, do not use auto focus. Set the macro to max and then move the
camera back and forth until the scratch is in focus.

Third, place something recognizable next to the scratch to give scale. A
macro of a small subject, without scale will tend to give the impression
of HUGE size. But if you tape a dime or a ruler next to the scratch and
include this item in the photo it will provide a reference for size.

Good Luck

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
August 14, 2005 10:40:40 AM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:48:24 -0600, max wrote:

> I trying to take a picture of my Dell Axim X3 to use on EBay. There
> is a small scratch on the screen, approximately .75 inches long and
> the width of a paper clip. The screen is reflective and I think my
> 4300 is focusing somewhere else as what I have been able to get of the
> scatch is very blurry.
>
> How can I take a picture of the device showing the scratch? Any
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks
> --max
> max@m99c.com
Use oblique lighting.
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

If all fail .. just tell the buyer THERE is a scratch :)

=bob=

!