Sapphire 7970 6GB Toxic price, where to buy?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello,
Has Sapphire even released this card? I can't find it anywhere. I am working with 3d animation and Ray Tracing and find that even 3GB of VRAM to be a limiting factor which slows the rendering process significantly. I need this card so badly just for the VRAM LOL I'm not rich enough to buy the pro cards with the 6GB but this works fine and I don't need to get a mortgage to buy it either. Also it would help with Skyrim with all the texture addons too as that game can easily use up all the 3GB if you max it out with a 30" monitor :p

bawss

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
It doesn't matter how big the monitor is.
It's the resolution...
You should use MSI Afterburner to actually check how much you need.
It will show how much memory is used.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

I always have GPUZ running on another monitor while playing games or doing 3D rendering which shows me GPU load and memory usage. When I am doing 3D rendering, it seems to almost be using 2999-3000MB constantly at about 70% load and CPU is 100%. But when the memory usage is less then the 3GB then the GPU load is 100% and CPU is less which tells me the memory is the bottle neck. Memory is big factor in 3D rendering as with ray tracing, it is calculating light and its reaction to all the materials like water, solid, gas, transparent, glass, mirror, sweat and many other materials and needs it all in memory to go to for reference to get the calculations done. Also textures are much larger too unlike games. Take for instance, a single picture frame in a scene like a living room; you might only see it from a distance, but it has a resolution of 800x600 and the texture of the rug might be 4000x4000 and some the the textures can be even bigger if realism is important. Go even further and each and every fuzzy stran sticking out of the floor making up the rug has a texture and ray tracing processes all that. Anyway, no wonder games can't do that yet :p So if it has to go to the main memory or to the HDD to get the stuff it can't hold, it just slows down.

FYI, I am using a real 30" with 2560x1600 with 2x1920x1080 and the sides :p Maybe it will be out soon or I might just have to wait for the ASUS monster to come out eventually :)