Kuisinart Levelfreak Project

Last response: in Video Games
June 6, 2005 7:04:27 AM

There was some talking about this speed-leveling to 60 in another
thread. I suggest we post reports here :)

....Here I go...

My KLP is an Undead Frost Mage, playing on a PVP server. I choose the
Questing-only strategy.

She's currently level 19 after about 15h30 of questing. My strategy is
based on careful quest planning, rather than grinding. One thing to
point out is, I've only played once or twice in Tirisfal Glades for the
levels 6-10, so I'm really not sure about my questing strategy there -
might have loss 30 minutes, an hour at most, so no biggie in the long
run. The places I know well are Silverpine Forest, and of course, These
freaking Barrens.

Heathstone cooldown management is a key here, especially when
travelling accross continents. I've already made several mistakes where
I could have HS'ed instead of running back to town. I can't wait for
teleports :)

Here's how a game session looks like so far:

Started level 18 this morning in Orgrimmar after training, fly to
Crossroads, got counterattack, lost in battle, hurried south, killed a
bristleback to collect one blood shard, hurried to Camp Taurajo where I
completed Jorn Skyseer and Blood Shards of Agamaggan, and picked up
Ishamuhale, Tribes at War, then went on killing those bristlebacks,
back to Camp Taurajo to complete the quests and get all the blood
shards blessing to get a global powerup to defeat solo Hezrul Bloodmark
quickly, then on to the Merchant coast as fast as possible (having
spirit of the wind is soooo good :)  ), reach level 19 there, do the
Bloodsail Buccaneers twice (once for Southsea Freebooters(14), once
more for Baron Longshore(16) and Stolen Booty(16)), collect rewards,
travel a bit north up to the Dead Tree, kill Ishamuhale, and back to
Crossroads to get rewards (counterattack, lost in battle) and log off
in the inn... pfew!

Next session, I think I'll go back to Camp Taurajo to do more hunting
quests there with my good cow Jorn Skyseer. Once I'm 20-21, I'll hop
into Stonetalon Mountains (and Contested Territory) for some
grimtotem/spiders/venture/eggs/etc farming. Then back to Ratchet to
collect rewards and do the Northwatch keep quests. Then back to
Silverpine for Ambermill, Beren's peril and Fenris Island, then back
again to the Barrens (Gann's reclamation, Silithid eggs[insert rude
comment about Silithid Swarmers], weapons of choice), further south to
Thousand Needles for the flight path and centaur quest, then back again
to stonetalon (harpies, gaea seeds, satyrs), on to ashenvale
(outrunners, nagas, foulweald, satyrs), south again to Thousand Needles
(for more tauren business, harpies, serpents and eggs).

Generally speaking, I need to work with batches of quests per areas of
similar levels. I need those periods when I can cruise through a lot of
green quests for decent XP rewards before taking on the next "level" of
quests, and I expect to use Teleport fairly often.

My concern is, when should I try to get my Hillsbrad quest categories
done: I need them for the reputation mostly. I only need to choose a
level at which I can quest there quickly and solo during my limited
morning play time, for obvious PVP reasons...
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:02:48 AM

Good idea. I would like to recommend to set up a blog for it where we
can upload our screenshots (so we can rain each other's parade). I will
start looking into google blogger's tonight. That goes to anyone else
who participate, mikel?

This is still work-in-process, I'm still penn my journal/log before
submit it.

Previously
-----------
Ahhh, Friday night, Yogojunzo (undead fire mage), returned from his
grinding session at Dry Hill upon reaching 20th lvl. Feel mighty proud
of himself, he visited the mage trainer to get couple new spells ...

fireball (3rd rank)
manna shield
blink
frorst armor (3rd rank)
create water (3rd rank)

He remembered what mikel said about teleportation so he went upstair to
see the portal trainer and learn... Teleport to Orgimmar, hmmm guess
Teleport to Undead City and Thunderbuff would require a personal visit.
Despite being dead, he still retained one living obession: time is
money, friend. So it will be quite sometime he will visit the Undead
City and basically give up on the cow city, ever. But, but where's the
regent vendor? Probably at the next towel where the priests hanged out.
Nope, not there. Oh okay, among warlocks. *sigh* Those orcs got their
priority screwy again. Since there are greater number of priests and
mages combined than warlocks, wouldn't it make sense to have a shop
open up near the Spirit Lodge or a more central location, at the upper
level across from the flight tower?

Well, since Junzo is among the civiilized area, might as well get some
of his chores done. He like visited the bank for deposits, the
boomstick vendor to sell vendor trash and repair his equipment from
those harpies claws, the auction house to sell some of green drops that
he nor his warrior-slave, Vasquez, couldn't use.

Back at the inn in his coffin cubicle, (those darn orcs charged a lot
for a 3 x 10 x 2 room with no continental breakfast, no ventilation,
and not sound proofe enough!), he viewed illegal copy of voodooeo of
Alliance Gnome Mage make fools out of his Horde brethens. Hehehehehe, a
good tactic that he could play on the Alliance fools at the entrance to
the IronForge.

Since he still got plenty of time left before he could hearth back to
frontier town, Crossroad, Junzo used those time to meditate and had his
spirit travel to the binary world of google.

WHAT, WHAT this?!? A spirit called Babe Bridou decided to be awaken
among the undying to become a mage and entered the rat race to 60th
level.

Babe Bridou wrote:
> There was some talking about this speed-leveling to 60 in another
> thread. I suggest we post reports here :)

A cloth gauntlet has been picked up. The race is on!

> ...Here I go...
>
> My KLP is an Undead Frost Mage, playing on a PVP server. I choose the
> Questing-only strategy.

Hmmm, just to spite me by being everything opposite, ought to be a
troll as well to complete the enmity.

> She's currently level 19 after about 15h30 of questing. My strategy is
> based on careful quest planning, rather than grinding. One thing to
> point out is, I've only played once or twice in Tirisfal Glades for the
> levels 6-10, so I'm really not sure about my questing strategy there -
> might have loss 30 minutes, an hour at most, so no biggie in the long
> run. The places I know well are Silverpine Forest, and of course, These
> freaking Barrens.

Not bad, at 20th lvl, Junzo used up about 20h of grinding. So, he just
poured more salts for my injured pride by faking ignorance of her
knowledgement of Tirisfal Glades. Bah, probably as a excuse why it took
her 15h30 rather than 10h30.

I need to meditate to remain calm.
ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:58:42 AM

mikel wrote:
> collection2002 wrote:
> > Good idea. I would like to recommend to set up a blog for it where we
> > can upload our screenshots (so we can rain each other's parade). I will
> > start looking into google blogger's tonight. That goes to anyone else
> > who participate, mikel?
>
> This is a great idea, but I'm not sure quite what to do about it. Creach
> is already fairly far along (probably reaching 28 tonight; created a
> week ago Sunday). Trouble is, I have not tried as hard as possible to
> level efficiently; instead, I joined a fun PVP guild early on, and have
> done a bunch of activities that produce little or no experience--for
> example, going on runs to help lower-level guildies. So my level/hour
> numbers are not going to look very impressive.
>
> My very best rate so far has been one experience bubble every five
> minutes, and that was pure grinding, but it doesn't stay that way for a
> variety of reasons, not least of which is that in the upper 20s you need
> to be grinding in contested territory, and unpredictable enemy movements
> can sometimes put a real cramp in the leveling, both because the enemy
> doesn't let you grind (or quest, for that matter), and because you tend
> to want to get involved in retaliation, which does nothing for leveling,
> though it's certainly good for play skill.
>
> I do have a brand new rogue and priest that would be interesting to
> level this way, but since neither is a mage, I don;t know how fair a
> comparison it would make.
>
> Still, maybe I'll try it with the priest. I've been wanting for a while
> to take an undead priest up to 60, and the guild needs more priests.
>
> The priest is going to take back seat to Creach, though.
June 7, 2005 11:02:48 AM

collection2002 wrote:
> Good idea. I would like to recommend to set up a blog for it where we
> can upload our screenshots (so we can rain each other's parade). I will
> start looking into google blogger's tonight. That goes to anyone else
> who participate, mikel?

This is a great idea, but I'm not sure quite what to do about it. Creach
is already fairly far along (probably reaching 28 tonight; created a
week ago Sunday). Trouble is, I have not tried as hard as possible to
level efficiently; instead, I joined a fun PVP guild early on, and have
done a bunch of activities that produce little or no experience--for
example, going on runs to help lower-level guildies. So my level/hour
numbers are not going to look very impressive.

My very best rate so far has been one experience bubble every five
minutes, and that was pure grinding, but it doesn't stay that way for a
variety of reasons, not least of which is that in the upper 20s you need
to be grinding in contested territory, and unpredictable enemy movements
can sometimes put a real cramp in the leveling, both because the enemy
doesn't let you grind (or quest, for that matter), and because you tend
to want to get involved in retaliation, which does nothing for leveling,
though it's certainly good for play skill.

I do have a brand new rogue and priest that would be interesting to
level this way, but since neither is a mage, I don;t know how fair a
comparison it would make.

Still, maybe I'll try it with the priest. I've been wanting for a while
to take an undead priest up to 60, and the guild needs more priests.

The priest is going to take back seat to Creach, though.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:03:11 AM

Guess it is my turn to update...

Junzo Log: 20050604:1400 - 20th @ 20th Hours
---------------------

Hearthed to Crossroad and make my way down to Camp Taurajo as my next
base of operation. Along the way, I tried out manna shield and blink.
Manna shield didn't see that bad since it didn't really drain off my
manna pool. Hmmm, Blink can't be used to increase distance as
running-blink-running would cover greater distance than
running-running-running.

Once make Camp Taurajo my hearthed destination, I picked up Weapons of
Choice since he will be at that general area, grinding those boar
hunter, defender, and warlock would be a healthy diversion from
grinding dwarves. I also picked up Gann's Reclamation for the reason
that since he's going to grind there, might as well get pay for doing
it. But first, let's test these new spells at razormane south of Fields
of Giant.

hmmmm, well, maybe Kuz is a named mob which explained why it took 80%
of my manna pool to kill him. Let's try it again on a random hunter....
Okay, maybe I should visit those razormanes after a level or two.
Dwarves should be easier...

.... *#&$!!!! To kill a 22nd lvl dwarven digger used up 90% of my manna
pool and 65% of my health. This must be a fluke... #*$&%(*#*$!!!! Nope,
it is not a fluke. Those dwarves are tough!!!!

Back to Bristleback then, I hearthed to Camp Taurajo, there I dreamed
of being a human with no magic power...
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:15:24 PM

Junzolog: 20050612
----------------------------

Revisited Bael Modan at Southern Barren with 21st lvl fire-spec undead
Mage. This time he is armed with knowledge that there is a perfect spot
to shoot fireball at those diggers and foremans from seeing another
mage doing so from last week. Fortunately, this weekend, it has less
traffic than it was last week so he was able to grind without much
competition.

Difference between shooting dwarven foreman and dwarven digger is that
though the former is higher ranking mob, the later is more resilent
against fire attacks (or maybe their defensive stance is more effective
than my warrior's defensive stance). More often, diggers can reach me
with only 40% of remaining health where as by the time foreman reached
me, they are down to 10% of health.

Manna Shield is not as effective defensive spell as Priest's Shield
Spell :(

These dwarves droppen wool cloths with occassional silk or linen cloth.
Only got 1 green leather armor shoulder pad drop after about 40 minutes
of grinding.

Upon reaching 22nd level, ported back to Orgimarr to get

Fire Blast 3rd rank
Frostbolt 1st rank

to try out the new combo:

fireball-frostbolt-fireball-fireball-fireblast-wand

on those dwarven digger/foreman

or maybe he's ready to storm the castle at the top of Bael Modan :)

Reached 22nd LVL on the 25th Hour 15 min of game played.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:30:03 PM

mikel wrote:

> When I was grinding these at level 21 I would start at extreme range
> with fireballs and keep firing them as fast as possible until they were
> upon me (you can fire the second fireball as soon as the casting
> progress bar barely begins to fade from the first). Then Fire Blast,
> Frost Nova, Blink, Fireball, Fire Blast. The main thing I didn't like
> about this routine was that during the Blink phase I wasn't doing
> damage. So at 22 when I got Scorch, I changed to Fire Blast, Scorch,
> Scorch, Scorch, Fire Blast. I got smacked a few times, but not enough to
> put me in any real danger, as long as I was careful to avoid adds (and I
> found anyway that in the rare case of an add, I could still kill the
> first and then escape from the second). I don't think I did a corpse run
> the whole time I was grinding Bael Modan, though I did run away up onto
> the road a few times.

At the extreme distance, how fast can you pump-out your spells.

Against digger: firebolt-firebolt-firebolt-firebolt(in my face @ 30%
health)-fireblast-firebolt/wand (depend whether his health is
above/below 15%)

Against foreman: firebolt-firebolt-firebolt-fireblast(in my face @ <
20% health)-wand

The biggest discovery I've found is the fact that diggers have better
resistance against fire as such that they require more hits to bring
down.

I have yet to be able to kill them at range :-(

> Personally, I almost never use Mana Shield when grinding. In my mind
> it's sort of a last-ditch emergency escape or recovery spell. It rubs me
> the wrong way to use up mana in a fight without doing damage. :-)

LOL, not even that, by the time you need to escape/recovery, you are so
low in manna that mana shield won't even work. True, I've taken Mana
Shield off my Key-Binding.

Hmmm, got to try out Blink maneuver instead of rely on Mana Shield.

> I tried various uses of frostbolt too, and concluded that it's generally
> not worth it. I would rather spend the seconds and mana on another
> fireball. Frostbolt slows them down, but they are going to reach you
> whether you start with frostbolt or fire spells, and you will have done
> more damage when they reach you if you use the fire spells.

okay, I would try the scrotch if it is purchasible at 22th lvl. Is it
possible to use fireblast-scrotch combo? I never try it so I don't know
whether the cool down on fireblast would also apply to the scrotch.

> For a full frost build it's very different, of course, because talent
>/snipe

Well, fire spec does give you occassional 5% stun for 2 second. That's
when you are having a good day :)  On the bad day, they resist
everything you shoot at them and be in your face with 100% health :(

I'll leave the frost spec to babe's mage and see how he fare.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:11:38 PM

Babe Bridou wrote:

> Well at the moment I'm back focusing on my main holy priest (reached
> level 55 yesterday), and I consider it fair game with regards to
> accumulated rested experience ;)  Not because you did, but mainly because

It would be foolish not to take advantage of rest bonus :-) Plus, there
is no way you can avoid the rest bonus, just standing in a noncombat
mode for couple minutes and the rest bonus will kick in, however little
it may be.

Fortunately, the rest bonus do cap to a level and half so that a 3 day
rest bonus is no different than 10 days rest bonus.

Since we are all toon-holics here, and these are not our primary toons,
I can't see why not. On the other hand, the quest completion XP bonus
does not chew up rest bonus but bump it up. It may be blessing or curse
depend on how you look at it.

I have slight tweak with new UI suite myself upon the installation of
new patch. But I have done so tweak all my other toons that when I get
to this mage, it is relatively quick (under 5 minutes).

> I very recently completely redid my UI to include some tricky FlexBar UI
> mod design, including the use of some sort of "priest stances" to switch
> hotkey setups in the middle of a fight. I won't get further in details
> here, but I'll just mention that it took me about 3-4 hours worth of
> ingame flexbar tuning, and expect it to take some time with the other
> characters as well (incidentally, with this mage as well) :p

No problem :-) Since you are doing this purely on a lark, I appreciated
your participation.

> I can already do this, using a mix of polymorph, frost nova, frost bolt
> and fireblast kiting. It saved my butt plenty of times doing the Guns of
> Northwatch quest solo, one of my hardest timesink. Crowd control for the
> win! :D

You mean the part of escorting that elf prisoner back to the Inn @
Rachet? Or the part of going in to kill 3 named Cannoneer dudes.
June 13, 2005 8:45:52 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> [...]

> of grinding.
>
> Upon reaching 22nd level, ported back to Orgimarr to get
>
> Fire Blast 3rd rank
> Frostbolt 1st rank
>
> to try out the new combo:
>
> fireball-frostbolt-fireball-fireball-fireblast-wand
>
> on those dwarven digger/foreman
>
> or maybe he's ready to storm the castle at the top of Bael Modan :)
>
> Reached 22nd LVL on the 25th Hour 15 min of game played.

I tried various uses of frostbolt too, and concluded that it's generally
not worth it. I would rather spend the seconds and mana on another
fireball. Frostbolt slows them down, but they are going to reach you
whether you start with frostbolt or fire spells, and you will have done
more damage when they reach you if you use the fire spells.

For a full frost build it's very different, of course, because talent
gives you (1) a more extreme slowing efect, (2) a substantial chance
that each frostbolt will root the mob in place, (3) much higher damage
from the frost spells. With a frost build against a melee mob you can
often kill them before they reach you because of the combination of
these effects, and when you can't, you can easily root them in place and
get away to restart frost-bombing them.
June 13, 2005 10:01:56 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>>When I was grinding these at level 21 I would start at extreme range
>>with fireballs and keep firing them as fast as possible until they were
>>upon me (you can fire the second fireball as soon as the casting
>>progress bar barely begins to fade from the first). Then Fire Blast,
>>Frost Nova, Blink, Fireball, Fire Blast. The main thing I didn't like
>>about this routine was that during the Blink phase I wasn't doing
>>damage. So at 22 when I got Scorch, I changed to Fire Blast, Scorch,
>>Scorch, Scorch, Fire Blast. I got smacked a few times, but not enough to
>>put me in any real danger, as long as I was careful to avoid adds (and I
>>found anyway that in the rare case of an add, I could still kill the
>>first and then escape from the second). I don't think I did a corpse run
>>the whole time I was grinding Bael Modan, though I did run away up onto
>>the road a few times.
>>

> At the extreme distance, how fast can you pump-out your spells.
>
> Against digger: firebolt-firebolt-firebolt-firebolt(in my face @ 30%
> health)-fireblast-firebolt/wand (depend whether his health is
> above/below 15%)
>
> Against foreman: firebolt-firebolt-firebolt-fireblast(in my face @ <
> 20% health)-wand
>
> The biggest discovery I've found is the fact that diggers have better
> resistance against fire as such that they require more hits to bring
> down.
>
> I have yet to be able to kill them at range :-(

Well, Creach is 31 now and grinding Shimmering Flats, so I'm not sure I
remember my Bael Modan routine accurately (and, as I mentioned, it
changed when I got Scorch). But I seem to remember a routine the same as
yours, except that as soon as he hit me once I would do Frost Nova,
Blink, fireball, fire blast, and then repeat fireball and fire blast if
he's still alive.

THe change I made when I got Scorch was to forget the Frost Nova and
blink, just fire blast, scorch, scorch, scorch, fire blast (repeat as
needed).

>>Personally, I almost never use Mana Shield when grinding. In my mind
>>it's sort of a last-ditch emergency escape or recovery spell. It rubs me
>>the wrong way to use up mana in a fight without doing damage. :-)
>>

> LOL, not even that, by the time you need to escape/recovery, you are so
> low in manna that mana shield won't even work. True, I've taken Mana
> Shield off my Key-Binding.
>
> Hmmm, got to try out Blink maneuver instead of rely on Mana Shield.

Frost Nova + Blink is something that you want to make instinctive. It
will get you out of many bad situations, in addition to being very
useful when grinding. When you get above about 25 or so, try out the
Grimtotems in Thousand Needles. They are pretty challenging at first.
Particularly, the Stompers are sort like tauren paladins, and the
combination of their lightning blast thingie and their ability to heal
themselves will provide a darn good exercise in how to use mage
abilities. You will start wanting to use Frost Nova, Blink, and
Counterspell in combination with your damage spells, and learning to use
these is crucial for PVP.

>>I tried various uses of frostbolt too, and concluded that it's generally
>>not worth it. I would rather spend the seconds and mana on another
>>fireball. Frostbolt slows them down, but they are going to reach you
>>whether you start with frostbolt or fire spells, and you will have done
>>more damage when they reach you if you use the fire spells.
>>

> okay, I would try the scrotch if it is purchasible at 22th lvl. Is it
> possible to use fireblast-scrotch combo? I never try it so I don't know
> whether the cool down on fireblast would also apply to the scrotch.

Yes, fire blast / scorch works well. The nice thing about Scorch is it's
a one-second cast with fair damage and it's very low mana cost. I
normally use it to do damage while waiting for the fire blast to cool
down, but also I use it to kill off a weak enemy without using up too
much mana, and I use it in emergency situations where, for whatever
reason, my mana is low and I still need to do damage.

>>For a full frost build it's very different, of course, because talent
>>/snipe
>

> Well, fire spec does give you occassional 5% stun for 2 second. That's
> when you are having a good day :)  On the bad day, they resist
> everything you shoot at them and be in your face with 100% health :(

I have had situations in Bael Modan and among the Grimtotems where I got
the stun two or even three (!) times in a row. In those cases I can kill
the mob before it reaches me.

Creach now has 20 points in Fire, and has the talents that cause
critical strike to burn for additional damage. So now, killing before
they reach me happens more often.

> I'll leave the frost spec to babe's mage and see how he fare.

Some day, when your mage is level 60, try out a full-frost rebuild, just
to see what it's like. It feels really different from Fire, and a lot of
fun in its own way. The most fun is to attack a high-level elite melee
unit and kite it to death, using frost effects to keep it away while you
kill it.

The other thing that's fun is going into an instance like Stratholme and
using the level 60 improved Blizzard to cripple a whole group of mobs so
your party can easily kill them.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:21:10 PM

In <1118689898.510101.91280@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> "collection2002" <linch9@gmail.com> writes:

> Fortunately, the rest bonus do cap to a level and half so that a 3 day
> rest bonus is no different than 10 days rest bonus.

Eh? As far as I'm aware, you accumulate one bubble of rest bonus for
every eight hours spent at an inn. Three days of this will yield nine
bubbles of bonus, which is far from the cap.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

mikel wrote:
> collection2002 wrote:

>> I'll leave the frost spec to babe's mage and see how he fare.

Well at the moment I'm back focusing on my main holy priest (reached
level 55 yesterday), and I consider it fair game with regards to
accumulated rested experience ;)  Not because you did, but mainly because
I very recently completely redid my UI to include some tricky FlexBar UI
mod design, including the use of some sort of "priest stances" to switch
hotkey setups in the middle of a fight. I won't get further in details
here, but I'll just mention that it took me about 3-4 hours worth of
ingame flexbar tuning, and expect it to take some time with the other
characters as well (incidentally, with this mage as well) :p

> Some day, when your mage is level 60, try out a full-frost rebuild, just
> to see what it's like. It feels really different from Fire, and a lot of
> fun in its own way. The most fun is to attack a high-level elite melee
> unit and kite it to death, using frost effects to keep it away while you
> kill it.

I can already do this, using a mix of polymorph, frost nova, frost bolt
and fireblast kiting. It saved my butt plenty of times doing the Guns of
Northwatch quest solo, one of my hardest timesink. Crowd control for the
win! :D
June 14, 2005 12:23:25 AM

Babe Bridou wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>> collection2002 wrote:
>

>>> I'll leave the frost spec to babe's mage and see how he fare.
>>

> Well at the moment I'm back focusing on my main holy priest (reached
> level 55 yesterday), and I consider it fair game with regards to
> accumulated rested experience ;)  Not because you did, but mainly because
> I very recently completely redid my UI to include some tricky FlexBar UI
> mod design, including the use of some sort of "priest stances" to switch
> hotkey setups in the middle of a fight. I won't get further in details
> here, but I'll just mention that it took me about 3-4 hours worth of
> ingame flexbar tuning, and expect it to take some time with the other
> characters as well (incidentally, with this mage as well) :p
>

>> Some day, when your mage is level 60, try out a full-frost rebuild,
>> just to see what it's like. It feels really different from Fire, and a
>> lot of fun in its own way. The most fun is to attack a high-level
>> elite melee unit and kite it to death, using frost effects to keep it
>> away while you kill it.
>

> I can already do this, using a mix of polymorph, frost nova, frost bolt
> and fireblast kiting. It saved my butt plenty of times doing the Guns of
> Northwatch quest solo, one of my hardest timesink. Crowd control for the
> win! :D

If you like it when doing Northwatch you are going to love it at level
60. It just gets better and better all the way up. Think beefy elite
melee mobs moving in extreme slow motion toward you as you slam
frostbolts into them, with great big "1064" crits popping above their
heads, alternating with blocks of ice appearing around their feet
rooting them in place.

All-frost is fun.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:54:29 AM

John Gordon wrote:
> In <1118689898.510101.91280@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> "collection2002" <linch9@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Fortunately, the rest bonus do cap to a level and half so that a 3 day
> > rest bonus is no different than 10 days rest bonus.
>
> Eh? As far as I'm aware, you accumulate one bubble of rest bonus for
> every eight hours spent at an inn. Three days of this will yield nine
> bubbles of bonus, which is far from the cap.

Sorry, it was a poor example to support what I was saying about rest
bonus cap to a level and a half. My character rests at most a week
because I'm toon-aholic and need to spend a week per side.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:11:34 AM

mikel wrote:

> Well, Creach is 31 now and grinding Shimmering Flats, so I'm not sure I

Wow, level 31 since last week, you have great dedication for been a
toon-a-holic :-)

> THe change I made when I got Scorch was to forget the Frost Nova and
> blink, just fire blast, scorch, scorch, scorch, fire blast (repeat as
> needed).

Oh yes, once I've gotten Scorch, life is so much easier :-) I'm average
about 3 22nd lvl killed per refill. Now the routine is fireball x3,
scorch, fire blast and wand to finish off.

> Frost Nova + Blink is something that you want to make instinctive. It
> \snipe

Still need to work on that, I'm still coming from warrior toon
mentality of standing there trading punches.

Counterspell, aye? hmmm, going to read up on that.

Thanks for the spell advices :-)

> I have had situations in Bael Modan and among the Grimtotems where I got
> the stun two or even three (!) times in a row. In those cases I can kill
> the mob before it reaches me.

Yeah! That happened to me last night too. The best was to get stun,
burn, and crit off your first shot, woot!

> Some day, when your mage is level 60, try out a full-frost rebuild, just
> to see what it's like. It feels really different from Fire, and a lot of
> fun in its own way. The most fun is to attack a high-level elite melee
> unit and kite it to death, using frost effects to keep it away while you
> kill it.

So, at what level did the fire-spec start to have dimming return and
the frost spec become more and more attractive? Using 80 - 20 rules,
I'm wager that by 48th lvl, it's more efficient to switch to frost spec
then to continue as fire spec mage?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:58:58 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:18:58 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

>collection2002 wrote:

>> Counterspell, aye? hmmm, going to read up on that.
>
>It takes practice to learn to use it. It's instant cast, but the trick
>is to learn to use it quickly enough and well. Counterspell stops a
>spellcast and prevents the caster from casting that spell again for 15
>seconds.

Actually it is even better than that - it blocks the entire spell
school. Slap it on a mage while he is busy casting Firebolt, and he
cannot cast _any_ firespells at all for the next 15 seconds.

Shield Bash, Pummel (warrior) and Kick (rogue) also works the same way
(stops the entire spell school)

>It's challenging,
>but oh-so-sweet when you pull it off.

Oh, yes. That it is :)

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Wow, thanks for the information :-) It is very helpful!!!

mikel wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I'm sorry, I can't answer this question intelligently, because that's
> not how my level 60 mage progressed. Also, I don't think Arcane/Fire
> really suffers diminishing returns; Arcane/Fire and all-Frost are just
> two different approaches, each very strong in its own way.

No problem. I remembered you or someone mentioned that high level elite
mobs tend to have better resistance against fire-base attack and that
frost spec would work better against them. Therefore I though there
might be a dimmishing return with fire-spec. Maybe, it is more of that
I don't know what I'm talking about :-)

Have you seen/heard/try to go all fire build? At upper echelon of fire
talent, the combusion and the one after make it sound like every fire
spell you cast have better than 50% of crit.

I'm not favorite of Arcane Missile either, though I wonder if people
take them because no one is immune to AM whereas some monster can
resist fir attack. Just curious.

> So I'd do this: start out putting 20 points in Fire (I'll even tell you
> exactly where, if you want :-) ), and then start putting points in
> Arcane, with the particular goal of getting Arcane Power, Presence of
> Mind, Improved Arcane Explosion (maxed out all the way), and Evocation.
> Maybe you want the clearcasting talent, too; that's helpful in mana
> management.

If you don't mind. I like to see what you have stated vs. what I have
put in and intend to put in and see how much I'm off or where we
differ.

> health goes down) Pop! (his health goes down). On the other hand, when I
> am some other class chasing some mage with this talent and my head keeps
> exploding every couple of seconds as he scurries and Frost Novas and
> Blinks, it's really really frustrating.

LOL, remind me of that gnome mage video I have saw who danced around
those hordes at crossroad :-)

> after a little while you'll be bothering your guildies, saying things
> like, "can we go 5-man Stratholme again? I want to blizzard some more
> crowds of undead."

Nah, I'm just going to strip nake and run through South Shore :-)
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:09:33 PM

mikel wrote:

> I haven't tried all-Fire yet. If you're curious, go ahead and try it;
> I'll be interested to hear your opinions. I like the Aracane/Fire build
> moainly for two reasons: Arcane Power (+35% damage on all spells for 15
> seconds -- that's huge!) and Presence of Mind (next spell in instant --
> the ability to do an instant Pyroblast or an instant Polymorph is very
> very attractive). But I also like Improved Arcane Explosion a lot,
> especially for PVP, and I like Evocation, which reduces overall downtime
> quite a bit.

I will. I want to try out pure fire spec (as oppose to Babe's pure
frost appraoch) before switch over to combo arcane/fire or frost. It is
safe to say that in barren, 1K needle, and dustmallow marsh that there
are few creatures that completely resist the fire attack. Wait, those
stupid elementals guarding the hot spring, urgh!!! Oh, wait, I'm a
grinder not a quester, whoosh :-)

> Yes, if you are fighting fire elementals in Blackrock Depths, your fire
> spells don't do you any good. Arcane Missiles and Frost spells are the
> ticket there. So you hit the Arcane Missiles and pray that you don't
> tickle the bug.

that's what, 50+ instance? So I'm safe for now :-)

But I agreed with you on AM not being manna efficient nor is it offer
enough bang to have it.

> Improved Fireball 5/5 (faster fireballs mean = damage)
> Impact 5/5 (stunned opponent = more damage)
> Ignite 5/5 (even more damage!)
> Flame Throwing 2/2 (6 extra yards -- that's another fireball!)
> Incinerate 2/2 (better crit chance = even more damage)
> Pyroblast 1/1 (the big bad fireball, for opening a fight)

Okay, I got half of them...

Impact 5/5 (stunned opponent = more damage)
Ignite 5/5 (even more damage!)
Flame Throwing 2/2 (6 extra yards -- that's another fireball!)
Burning Soul 2/5 (don't want to get disrupt)

Working my way up to now @ 23rd lvl, I don't see it is cost efficient
to put points in Improved Fireball despite the fact that I agreed your
assessment. I see the trade off of 0.1s on casting time is not as good
as 1% chance of stun or ignite. However, I have yet to see Burning Soul
kick in yet since I have put points in it. As for Incinerate, well, I
invested in Burning Soul before reading your post about Scrotch which
make Incinerate worth its while.

Now, Pryoblast is cool and I intend to respec my mage to what you have
suggested upon reaching 28th lvl. Incinerate can be add in next 2 level.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:04:17 PM

mikel wrote:

> I'm interested in how Babe is doing with Frost, too. As I've said, I was
> pure Frost for a long time, but I built that at level 60, so I don't
> know what it's like from personal experience while leveling.

Oh, didn't you hear, Esa is getting married to a Gnome. So he is kinda
busy right now, you know, getting wedding registry, picking location,
review the guest lists, lots of lots of those chili that burp fire when
you fart, and setting the date.

Once I know the date, I will have to create a horde toon at sunstrider
to visit. I'm sure I'm on the guest list, somewhere, just not at the
gank-me section. Hopefully, it is somewhere newbiew friendly area :-)
June 15, 2005 8:47:26 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> [...]

Impact 5/5 (stunned opponent = more damage)
Ignite 5/5 (even more damage!)
Flame Throwing 2/2 (6 extra yards -- that's another fireball!)
Incinerate 2/2 (better crit chance = even more damage)
Pyroblast 1/1 (the big bad fireball, for opening a fight)

>>health goes down) Pop! (his health goes down). On the other hand, when I
>>am some other class chasing some mage with this talent and my head keeps
>>exploding every couple of seconds as he scurries and Frost Novas and
>>Blinks, it's really really frustrating.
>

> LOL, remind me of that gnome mage video I have saw who danced around
> those hordes at crossroad :-)
>

>>after a little while you'll be bothering your guildies, saying things
>>like, "can we go 5-man Stratholme again? I want to blizzard some more
>>crowds of undead."
>>

> Nah, I'm just going to strip nake and run through South Shore :-)

Sounds like a plan. :-)
June 15, 2005 10:13:39 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>>I haven't tried all-Fire yet. If you're curious, go ahead and try it;
>>I'll be interested to hear your opinions. I like the Aracane/Fire build
>>moainly for two reasons: Arcane Power (+35% damage on all spells for 15
>>seconds -- that's huge!) and Presence of Mind (next spell in instant --
>>the ability to do an instant Pyroblast or an instant Polymorph is very
>>very attractive). But I also like Improved Arcane Explosion a lot,
>>especially for PVP, and I like Evocation, which reduces overall downtime
>> quite a bit.
>>

> I will. I want to try out pure fire spec (as oppose to Babe's pure
> frost appraoch) before switch over to combo arcane/fire or frost. It is
> safe to say that in barren, 1K needle, and dustmallow marsh that there
> are few creatures that completely resist the fire attack. Wait, those
> stupid elementals guarding the hot spring, urgh!!! Oh, wait, I'm a
> grinder not a quester, whoosh :-)

I'm interested in how Babe is doing with Frost, too. As I've said, I was
pure Frost for a long time, but I built that at level 60, so I don't
know what it's like from personal experience while leveling.

>>Yes, if you are fighting fire elementals in Blackrock Depths, your fire
>>spells don't do you any good. Arcane Missiles and Frost spells are the
>>ticket there. So you hit the Arcane Missiles and pray that you don't
>>tickle the bug.
>>

> that's what, 50+ instance? So I'm safe for now :-)

Yeah. But those high levels creep up on you. :-)

> But I agreed with you on AM not being manna efficient nor is it offer
> enough bang to have it.
>

>>Improved Fireball 5/5 (faster fireballs mean = damage)
>>Impact 5/5 (stunned opponent = more damage)
>>Ignite 5/5 (even more damage!)
>>Flame Throwing 2/2 (6 extra yards -- that's another fireball!)
>>Incinerate 2/2 (better crit chance = even more damage)
>>Pyroblast 1/1 (the big bad fireball, for opening a fight)
>>

> Okay, I got half of them...
>
> Impact 5/5 (stunned opponent = more damage)
> Ignite 5/5 (even more damage!)
> Flame Throwing 2/2 (6 extra yards -- that's another fireball!)
> Burning Soul 2/5 (don't want to get disrupt)
>
> Working my way up to now @ 23rd lvl, I don't see it is cost efficient
> to put points in Improved Fireball despite the fact that I agreed your
> assessment. I see the trade off of 0.1s on casting time is not as good
> as 1% chance of stun or ignite. However, I have yet to see Burning Soul
> kick in yet since I have put points in it. As for Incinerate, well, I
> invested in Burning Soul before reading your post about Scrotch which
> make Incinerate worth its while.

I really like the improved casting time, particularly with all five
points in.

> Now, Pryoblast is cool and I intend to respec my mage to what you have
> suggested upon reaching 28th lvl. Incinerate can be add in next 2 level.

Pyroblast+Presence of Mind = happy mage :-)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:02:38 AM

Bael Modan

Yogojunzo reached 25th level after 34 hr 12 minute's grinding. The
advancement from level 24 to level 25 is about 3 hours or little less
which is about the same when he grinded from level 23 to level 24. But
unlike previous level advancement, I did something different. Upon
reaching level 24 and returned to Camp Tujaro, I cashed in

Weapons of War
Grim's Reclamantion I

and completed following quests

Grim's Reclamation II
Grim's Reclamation III
Tear of Moonstone
Betryal Within I
Betryal Within II

since these quests all centered around Bael Modan, the theory behind it
was that one can advance faster by completed these quests rather than
straigh grinding.

Unfortunately that's not the case. While the Grim's chain quests can be
done relatively quick and painless. Betryal chain quests are time
consuming. And that factor in the fact that I have to use throttbot to
look up where Luk and Nak are located. If I have not done so, I can
easily see this quest takes up an hour or so because of Warfrenzies
(those duel weild warrior sure struck faster than I can cast) and
Stalkers (steath pig) that can tie up lots of downtime.

If Betryal was time consuming then the Tear of Moonstone is simply
deadly, I teamed up with a 27th lvl Warlock and we reached as far as
the boss area before being wiped. This was my first corpse run upon
reaching 20th level and before all said and done, I have 4 corpse runs
before level to 25. It was a long corpse run from camp taurjo that by
the time I got to my corpse, mobs have respawn. I was able to go as far
as the entrance before being killed. And the only reason we're able to
complete the quest second time around was that there was a guy or a
group before us have cleared out the boss area. We are able to rush in
get the gem and run out.

While I was grinding at the front entrance of the Bael Modan keep, I
was invited by a tauren druid, 26th lvl, who needed to completed the
second part of Grim's quest. And later, a 28th lvl tauren warrior
joined our group. Since they haven't done the Tear, it make perfect
sense that they/we were going to do them all. Again, everything was
kosher until we arrived the boss area. At the top of the stair, we even
designate who do what, the druid heal, I dps, and the warrior pull.
Except the warrior don't have the skill to pull. So the druid offered
to pull. Don't know why, but I decided to pull. That's my third corpse
run of the day when the entire mobs charged me and ignored both
taurens.

NOTE: IN A GROUP/INSTANCE, DO NOT LET MAGE PULL EVEN WITH JUST A
FIREBALL.

Anyway, while running there, the druid rezzed me. Bad ideas, as soon as
I was rezzed, somehow those mobs still have aggro against me. They
charged up and thus, I began my fourth and final corpse run of the day.
The only consolation I have was the fact that my previous partner, 27th
warlock, has had her 10th corpse run of the day when we first did the
Tear quest. Needless to say, by the time I got there, I missed a good
chunk of xp and loots from killing those mobs + boss.

Observation I - the loots while grinding from 24th - 25th got me about
3g and some silver changes.

Observation II - it takes on average of 3 hours to gain a level while
in your 20s no matter through grinding or questing...

Now at 25th, it's time for me to go into Thousand Needles and faced
centaur and grimtotems. I hope to reach level 26th before Sunday when I
turned to the Alliance...
June 18, 2005 12:31:45 AM

collection2002 wrote:

<snip>

> Now at 25th, it's time for me to go into Thousand Needles and faced
> centaur and grimtotems. I hope to reach level 26th before Sunday when I
> turned to the Alliance...

Centaurs first. Grimtotems are tougher. Especially, Stompers are a pain
for a mage.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:30:06 AM

Junzolog 2005.06.19
----------------------

Armed with Counterspell, grinding at Gorkak (sp? centaurs) was relative
ease. Junzo was able to gain a level in 2h34m of grinding instead of
usual 3h + change minutes. Played different toons that happened to
grind at the same area. For hunter, anyone but Gorkak Windchaser is
easy to handle. For mage, Gorkak Windchaser is top choice for grinding
with little downtime. Only 2 or 3 times that I have missed fire
Counteredspell that let Windchaser healed herself. By now, I started to
realize the amount of time it takes to fire off a Fireball (3.5s) and
that talent: improved fireball, started to look better and better. For
like first 80% of the time Junzo spent at Gorkak, there was almost no
green drops. And at the last 20% of the time, quadre of green drops
appeared.

>From the vendor trash loot, Junzo gained about 2 gold worths.

Junzo also maxed out his First Aid skill @ 150. No one sell Master
FirstAid Unwrapped book at AH and Dustmarsh Mallow seemed such a long
out of the way. So any Skywall horde member reading this, Yogojunzo, is
willing to pay 2g for Master First Aid Unwrapped book, pst :-)

Upon gaining 26th lvl, Junzo ported back to Ogimar to respec his fire
talent tree. It is much easier to dump whole 5 points into Improved
Fireball than to use the drip method of 1 pt per level. But when the
Pryoblast talent highlight, his eyes was looking at Pryoblast with
glee, but his hand clicked on the talent that give crit bonus to fire
blast/scortch. URGH!!!!!

At level 26, Yogojunzo felt its time to move on to Grimtotems.

First Grimtotem was relatively easy and a Stomper to boot. With
slightly faster fireball blastings and a serious of fireblast/scrotch x
2 loop, he was able to take down the STomper when they're in melee
range. Then he encountered plus 1 situation at the top where Grimtotem
grouped in 2. First set of 2 is composed of Geomancer and Bandit. Junzo
tried to sheep the Geomancer and then blast the approaching Bandit
before going back to Geomancer again. Well, first part worked, he was
able to sheep the Geomancer, and supposedly, <tab> key allow you to
switch target. But it isn't always functional. So, he ended up
fireblast the sheep instead. Fireball from Geomancer hurted as hell.
Maybe it is time to invest in Fire Ward...

Junzo was able to safely retreat out of harms away. And on the second
time, he used the mouse rather than trust the keyboard to switch
target.

Onto second landing, At the rope bridge onto the second landing, he was
able to take down a Geomancer. But when attacked the bandit, somehow,
it able to aggro the mob of couple Geomancers. And the way to retreat
back was block by respawns Grimtotems. Junzo experienced first his
first corpse run in 1K Needle.

After this, Junzo decided to go back to Gorkak for now to grind until
28th lvl where he can get a Fire Ward spell in additional to other new
spells available to 28th lvl.

Creach, what's your tactic when dealing Grimtotems that come in pairs?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:17:34 PM

Yogojunzo - 31 lvl undead mage - played 51h29m

Average about 3 hours from 26 - 30.

After spend portion of 26 lvl at Grimtotem to completed all three
quests related to that area:

Grimtotem Spying
Wanted - Arnak Grimtotem
Free AT Last

I moved on to the otherside of the Great Lift and concentrated at Camp
E'Thok. Those Golaks are about the same level at Grimtotem except that
they don't group so it is easier to pick them off one-by-one. Since
Camp E'Thok is close to Whitereach Post and Highperch, I was also able
to complete following quests

Wind Rider eggs
Homeward Bound
Hypercapacitor Grizmo
Assassination Plots
Protect Kanati Greycloud

Doing all these quests allowed me to gain 2 levels rather quickly.

At level 30, I'm readied to move on to Shimmering Flat... It takes
close to 4 hours to advance to level 31 and that's including completing
all those quests nearby

Hardened Shells
Salt Flat Venom
Load Lightening
Rocket Car Parts

Upon level 31, I decided to depart from the script and traveled to
Arathi Highlands and grind there.

31 - 33 @ Northfold Manor
34 - 37 @ Boulderfist Outpost

Upon level 38, I think about travel to Alterac Mountains and grind at

Slaughter Hollow
Crushridge Hold

I will keep you post on how this deviation fare...
July 12, 2005 8:55:55 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> Yogojunzo - 31 lvl undead mage - played 51h29m
>
> Average about 3 hours from 26 - 30.
>
> After spend portion of 26 lvl at Grimtotem to completed all three
> quests related to that area:
>
> Grimtotem Spying
> Wanted - Arnak Grimtotem
> Free AT Last
>
> I moved on to the otherside of the Great Lift and concentrated at Camp
> E'Thok. Those Golaks are about the same level at Grimtotem except that
> they don't group so it is easier to pick them off one-by-one. Since
> Camp E'Thok is close to Whitereach Post and Highperch, I was also able
> to complete following quests
>
> Wind Rider eggs
> Homeward Bound
> Hypercapacitor Grizmo
> Assassination Plots
> Protect Kanati Greycloud
>
> Doing all these quests allowed me to gain 2 levels rather quickly.
>

> At level 30, I'm readied to move on to Shimmering Flat... It takes
> close to 4 hours to advance to level 31 and that's including completing
> all those quests nearby
>
> Hardened Shells
> Salt Flat Venom
> Load Lightening
> Rocket Car Parts
>
> Upon level 31, I decided to depart from the script and traveled to
> Arathi Highlands and grind there.
>
> 31 - 33 @ Northfold Manor
> 34 - 37 @ Boulderfist Outpost
>
> Upon level 38, I think about travel to Alterac Mountains and grind at
>
> Slaughter Hollow
> Crushridge Hold
>
> I will keep you post on how this deviation fare...

If you are on a PVE server, I would expect it to go pretty well. If you
are on a PVP server and it's anything like Bleeding Hollow, I would
expect constant ganking to become and issue.

Ganking is not unusual in Shimmering Flats, but if you stay away from
the corridor extending along the road from the Thousand Needles to the
pass over the mountains to Gadgetzan, it is not very frequent in my
experience, and there are often several other Horde grinders around to
help discourage it.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:20:33 AM

mikel a écrit :
> collection2002 wrote:
> > Yogojunzo - 31 lvl undead mage - played 51h29m
> >
> > Average about 3 hours from 26 - 30.
> >
> > After spend portion of 26 lvl at Grimtotem to completed all three
> > quests related to that area:
> >
> > Grimtotem Spying
> > Wanted - Arnak Grimtotem
> > Free AT Last
> >
> > I moved on to the otherside of the Great Lift and concentrated at Camp
> > E'Thok. Those Golaks are about the same level at Grimtotem except that
> > they don't group so it is easier to pick them off one-by-one. Since
> > Camp E'Thok is close to Whitereach Post and Highperch, I was also able
> > to complete following quests
> >
> > Wind Rider eggs
> > Homeward Bound
> > Hypercapacitor Grizmo
> > Assassination Plots
> > Protect Kanati Greycloud
> >
> > Doing all these quests allowed me to gain 2 levels rather quickly.
> >

> > At level 30, I'm readied to move on to Shimmering Flat... It takes
> > close to 4 hours to advance to level 31 and that's including completing
> > all those quests nearby
> >
> > Hardened Shells
> > Salt Flat Venom
> > Load Lightening
> > Rocket Car Parts
> >
> > Upon level 31, I decided to depart from the script and traveled to
> > Arathi Highlands and grind there.
> >
> > 31 - 33 @ Northfold Manor
> > 34 - 37 @ Boulderfist Outpost
> >
> > Upon level 38, I think about travel to Alterac Mountains and grind at
> >
> > Slaughter Hollow
> > Crushridge Hold
> >
> > I will keep you post on how this deviation fare...
>
> If you are on a PVE server, I would expect it to go pretty well. If you
> are on a PVP server and it's anything like Bleeding Hollow, I would
> expect constant ganking to become and issue.
>
> Ganking is not unusual in Shimmering Flats, but if you stay away from
> the corridor extending along the road from the Thousand Needles to the
> pass over the mountains to Gadgetzan, it is not very frequent in my
> experience, and there are often several other Horde grinders around to
> help discourage it.

The place I would advise greatly if you're a level 30-33 hunter or
warlock is Splinthoof Keep (or something like that), the cave inside
Splinthoof Crag, a kolkar camp, which is right next to Freewind Post.
The respawn rates and amount of mobs are similar to starting areas mobs
or places like Skull Rock in Durotar. The main difference is that there
are no adds over there. No annoying voidwalker. At around 30-33 and
with a good pet, you can kill those mobs non stop for something like
15,000 XP/hour (30,000 with rest)
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:32:29 AM

mikel wrote:
> If you are on a PVE server, I would expect it to go pretty well. If you
> are on a PVP server and it's anything like Bleeding Hollow, I would
> expect constant ganking to become and issue.

Well, Skywall is a PVE server. But I thought with the introduction of
battlegrounds, most of ganking and fighting are happening theres and
lessen everywhere else.

> Ganking is not unusual in Shimmering Flats, but if you stay away from
> the corridor extending along the road from the Thousand Needles to the
> pass over the mountains to Gadgetzan, it is not very frequent in my
> experience, and there are often several other Horde grinders around to
> help discourage it.

At lvl 30 - 31, you pretty much have to stay close to the area where
the needles meet the shimmering. Mobs there (and in Shimmering Flats in
general) are not as many as those found in kolak and grimtotem camps.
Granted, there are lots of pockets of group of monsters. But it is very
fast to clear out the pocket before the respawn kick in. Unlike above
mentions camps, you can start at one end of the campsite, and mobs
would respawn by the time you reached the other side. So there is
constant grinding with brief interruption of refilling manna.

At shimmering flats, you have to travel 2 - 3 pockets before the first
pocket have respawn. It is very frustrating. Oh, and the scoprid poison
is annoying too, drop my STR and AGIL down to single digit for 3
minutes with constant damage every 10 sec.

Being to the manor as an alliance once and saw it has a good size of
crowds that respawn when working from one end to the other. Just
becareful of those stealth mob :-)
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:36:05 AM

What about 30 - 31st mage since three of us are mages who took
different route to 60th lvl?

I'm now grinding on average about 12K XP/hour.
July 13, 2005 3:25:48 PM

Babe Bridou wrote:

> mikel a écrit :
>
>>collection2002 wrote:
>>
>>>Yogojunzo - 31 lvl undead mage - played 51h29m
>>>
>>>Average about 3 hours from 26 - 30.
>>>
>>>After spend portion of 26 lvl at Grimtotem to completed all three
>>>quests related to that area:
>>>
>>>Grimtotem Spying
>>>Wanted - Arnak Grimtotem
>>>Free AT Last
>>>
>>>I moved on to the otherside of the Great Lift and concentrated at Camp
>>>E'Thok. Those Golaks are about the same level at Grimtotem except that
>>>they don't group so it is easier to pick them off one-by-one. Since
>>>Camp E'Thok is close to Whitereach Post and Highperch, I was also able
>>>to complete following quests
>>>
>>>Wind Rider eggs
>>>Homeward Bound
>>>Hypercapacitor Grizmo
>>>Assassination Plots
>>>Protect Kanati Greycloud
>>>
>>>Doing all these quests allowed me to gain 2 levels rather quickly.
>>>

>>>At level 30, I'm readied to move on to Shimmering Flat... It takes
>>>close to 4 hours to advance to level 31 and that's including completing
>>>all those quests nearby
>>>
>>>Hardened Shells
>>>Salt Flat Venom
>>>Load Lightening
>>>Rocket Car Parts
>>>
>>>Upon level 31, I decided to depart from the script and traveled to
>>>Arathi Highlands and grind there.
>>>
>>>31 - 33 @ Northfold Manor
>>>34 - 37 @ Boulderfist Outpost
>>>
>>>Upon level 38, I think about travel to Alterac Mountains and grind at
>>>
>>>Slaughter Hollow
>>>Crushridge Hold
>>>
>>>I will keep you post on how this deviation fare...
>>
>>If you are on a PVE server, I would expect it to go pretty well. If you
>>are on a PVP server and it's anything like Bleeding Hollow, I would
>>expect constant ganking to become and issue.
>>
>>Ganking is not unusual in Shimmering Flats, but if you stay away from
>>the corridor extending along the road from the Thousand Needles to the
>>pass over the mountains to Gadgetzan, it is not very frequent in my
>>experience, and there are often several other Horde grinders around to
>>help discourage it.
>

> The place I would advise greatly if you're a level 30-33 hunter or
> warlock is Splinthoof Keep (or something like that), the cave inside
> Splinthoof Crag, a kolkar camp, which is right next to Freewind Post.
> The respawn rates and amount of mobs are similar to starting areas mobs
> or places like Skull Rock in Durotar. The main difference is that there
> are no adds over there. No annoying voidwalker. At around 30-33 and
> with a good pet, you can kill those mobs non stop for something like
> 15,000 XP/hour (30,000 with rest)

I agree with this, although at level 33 I was getting closer to 18,000
an hour in Shimmering Flats by camping the basilisks at the south end
and the tortoises near the crashed ship at the north end (and the money
from selling scales and spines is very good).

Of course, one enemy ganker can put a large dent in that
experience-per-hour.
July 13, 2005 3:33:17 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>>If you are on a PVE server, I would expect it to go pretty well. If you
>>are on a PVP server and it's anything like Bleeding Hollow, I would
>>expect constant ganking to become and issue.
>>

> Well, Skywall is a PVE server. But I thought with the introduction of
> battlegrounds, most of ganking and fighting are happening theres and
> lessen everywhere else.
>

>>Ganking is not unusual in Shimmering Flats, but if you stay away from
>>the corridor extending along the road from the Thousand Needles to the
>>pass over the mountains to Gadgetzan, it is not very frequent in my
>>experience, and there are often several other Horde grinders around to
>>help discourage it.
>

> At lvl 30 - 31, you pretty much have to stay close to the area where
> the needles meet the shimmering. Mobs there (and in Shimmering Flats in
> general) are not as many as those found in kolak and grimtotem camps.
> Granted, there are lots of pockets of group of monsters. But it is very
> fast to clear out the pocket before the respawn kick in. Unlike above
> mentions camps, you can start at one end of the campsite, and mobs
> would respawn by the time you reached the other side. So there is
> constant grinding with brief interruption of refilling manna.
>
> At shimmering flats, you have to travel 2 - 3 pockets before the first
> pocket have respawn. It is very frustrating. Oh, and the scoprid poison
> is annoying too, drop my STR and AGIL down to single digit for 3
> minutes with constant damage every 10 sec.
>
> Being to the manor as an alliance once and saw it has a good size of
> crowds that respawn when working from one end to the other. Just
> becareful of those stealth mob :-)

It must be said that I get bored quickly and so I tend to move to new
areas before I ideally should. So I was in Shimmering Flats at a lower
level than I probably should have been; you might want to take that into
account.

I got very good rates of experience by camping four places: the crashed
ship where the tortoises gather, Weazel's Crater (full of basilisks),
the big skeleton on the east side where the vultures gather, and the
ruined shack and pool in the south where the basilisks gather. It's hard
to completely clear the tortoises or basilisks unless several people are
grinding them. The basilisks in the crater respawn fast enough to keep
up to two grinders working. The vultures you can clear out solo in a
couple minutes, so they are just a snack for in between the other places.

As Babe mentioned, Splithoof Hold inside Splithoof Crag is very good. I
also like the Grimtotem compound (Darkcloud Pinnacle) but it takes some
practice to figure out how to grind it; adds are common until you learn
how the groups and their aggro is laid out, and you also have to learn
how to kill each of the different kinds of mobs efficiently.

For me the rates got good in Splithoof at about level 24; Darkcloud was
good starting about level 26; Shimmering Flats was good starting about
level 30. But like I say, I may move on a new place earlier than I
really ought to.
July 13, 2005 3:51:27 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> What about 30 - 31st mage since three of us are mages who took
> different route to 60th lvl?
>
> I'm now grinding on average about 12K XP/hour.

As I mentioned before, my best sustained rate in Shimmering Flats was
around 18,000/hr. That was in my mid to upper 30s.

You may want to experiment some with different methods. I carried a
pocket full of Compact Harvest Reapers, bandages, and mana potions to
reduce my downtime, and I preferred to attack a second mob before the
first one was entirely dead, relying on the Reaper to kill it while I
engaged the second one. I also used my wand when mob life got low to
enable mana to regen more.

I also used bombs for the stun effect. This enabled about one fireball
per fight to complete faster because the stun prevented some
interruptions, and also slightly improved my kill-per-mana ratio.

Of course, engineering gadgets will not work for non-engineers. I'd be
interested to hear how people have leveraged other professions to
improve their grinding rates. I can imagine that making your own potions
might be beneficial.

My gear is pretty heavily biased toward intellect and stamina, so that
my green and blue bars are large.

Generally the routine has been kill six mobs, drink, repeat.

I got the InfoBar addon, and I watch the exp/hr display on the clock. I
position myself at a grinding area. Then I renew my buffs, fill up my
water and food, and drink to recharge my mana. Then I log out and back
in to reset the clock so I can get a good measurement.

Then I kill as fast as I can until mana runs out, sit and drink, and do
it again, then sit and drink again. Then I look at the rate reflected on
the clock. (It reflects two sessions killing and two sessions resting,
so I figure it's reasonably representative). I'll do this at a few
different grinding spots that are supposed to be good for my level, annd
then stay at the best one for a while.

Some of the time on the upper thirties I teamed with a warrior I know
who was also grinding. By picking densely-populated spots and working a
good rhythm with a warrior, a mage can keep going for a long time
without drinking, and both warrior and mage can sustain higher rates of
exp/hr. Working the basilisks in the south, when we were really being
efficient, we were seeing rates above 20,000.

Every so often we would get ganked, and our hourly rate would go in the
toilet. This is more of a risk at the basilisks in the south of the
Flats than at the other places discussed, because the basilisks are
quite close to the pass that leads to Gadgetzan, and mounted enemies
will come through there relatively frequently.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:10:11 AM

mikel wrote:

> As I mentioned before, my best sustained rate in Shimmering Flats was
> around 18,000/hr. That was in my mid to upper 30s.

What is your mage's current level?

> You may want to experiment some with different methods. I carried a
> pocket full of Compact Harvest Reapers, bandages, and mana potions to
> reduce my downtime, and I preferred to attack a second mob before the
> first one was entirely dead, relying on the Reaper to kill it while I
> engaged the second one. I also used my wand when mob life got low to
> enable mana to regen more.

I carry bandages and manna potions but use the later as last resort
when the mob still alive and I'm out of manna. I used wand when mobs
drop to 10% of their health. Though unlike humanoids, these beasts
fight to the death and won't run away so I'm taking more hits as well
:(

Profession I have are the Enchanting to disenchant any soulbound items
I have and the First Aid for a quick heal after the combat. All other
professions take away time with little return.

Still doing the old fashion way, focus one mob at the time...

> I also used bombs for the stun effect. This enabled about one fireball
> per fight to complete faster because the stun prevented some
> interruptions, and also slightly improved my kill-per-mana ratio.

With bomb and other AoE spells, I found it time consuming to focus the
blast radius especially during the fight when the mob is in your face,
not to mention distracting as well. For stunning, I still rely on the
stun ability off fire talent.

> Of course, engineering gadgets will not work for non-engineers. I'd be
> interested to hear how people have leveraged other professions to
> improve their grinding rates. I can imagine that making your own potions
> might be beneficial.

well, my objective is to grind to 60th lvl in shortest time possible so
Yogojunzo does not focus on build up his primary profession.

My other undead mage, Derian, however, follow tradition roles of
enchanting & tailoring. Excess wools and linen are shipped from
Yogojunzo to Derian for power leveling. At level 14, Derian is close to
150 in his tailor skill and his enchanting skill just passed the 75
mark.

> My gear is pretty heavily biased toward intellect and stamina, so that
> my green and blue bars are large.

My gears based toward int & spirit so blue bar is 4x larger then green
bar.

> Generally the routine has been kill six mobs, drink, repeat.

Used to be able to do that at E'Camp prior making 30th level. At
Shimmering flat, initially it was 2 mobs, and got as far as 3 - 4 mobs
because of manna regen during travel between pockets.

> I got the InfoBar addon, and I watch the exp/hr display on the clock. I
> position myself at a grinding area. Then I renew my buffs, fill up my
> water and food, and drink to recharge my mana. Then I log out and back
> in to reset the clock so I can get a good measurement.

I, too, have InfoBar but I don't reset like you do. Just keep grinding.

> Some of the time on the upper thirties I teamed with a warrior I know
> who was also grinding. By picking densely-populated spots and working a
> good rhythm with a warrior, a mage can keep going for a long time
> without drinking, and both warrior and mage can sustain higher rates of
> exp/hr. Working the basilisks in the south, when we were really being
> efficient, we were seeing rates above 20,000.

I have a partner too for my other mage. But we tend to be quests
orient. So far, I only grouped when we happened to do similiar quests.

> Every so often we would get ganked, and our hourly rate would go in the
> toilet. This is more of a risk at the basilisks in the south of the
> Flats than at the other places discussed, because the basilisks are
> quite close to the pass that leads to Gadgetzan, and mounted enemies
> will come through there relatively frequently.

no ganking here, except others who competed for your kills whether due
to grinding or doing quests. So, lots of time travel among 2 pockets
because of others grinding/questings.

> It must be said that I get bored quickly and so I tend to move to new
> areas before I ideally should. So I was in Shimmering Flats at a lower
> level than I probably should have been; you might want to take that into
> account.

I don't know how you able to grind successfully at lower than 30 at
Shimmering Flat. AT 30th lvl, there are lot more monsters in red or 3+
level above me that selection was not very good. Even those who are on
par to 2 level above me takes a long time/mana to kill, hence 2 mobs
per refill early on. The fact that they don't run away when dropped to
less than 10% of health also hurt a lot initially. Coming from killing
6 mobs per refill, this was very depressing :(

> I got very good rates of experience by camping four places: the crashed
> ship where the tortoises gather, Weazel's Crater (full of basilisks),
> the big skeleton on the east side where the vultures gather, and the
> ruined shack and pool in the south where the basilisks gather. It's hard
> to completely clear the tortoises or basilisks unless several people are
> grinding them. The basilisks in the crater respawn fast enough to keep
> up to two grinders working. The vultures you can clear out solo in a
> couple minutes, so they are just a snack for in between the other places.

My 2 pockets are weazel's crater and vultures place.
Killing vultures for better chance of getting magical loot where as
killing Basilisks give you better vendor trash loot.

Now, I have cast my lot at Arathi Highlands, I will stay there for at
least a level or 2 before decide whether to go back to Shimmering or
stay oncourse with my original plan. Killing humanoid mobs gave better
loots than beast mobs since I don't skin, plus humanoids tend to run
away when their health are in red, maybe except Ogre.
July 14, 2005 12:19:38 PM

collection2002 wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>>As I mentioned before, my best sustained rate in Shimmering Flats was
>>around 18,000/hr. That was in my mid to upper 30s.
>>

> What is your mage's current level?

41, a little over halfway to 42. I have slowed down, distracted by some
other characters.

>>You may want to experiment some with different methods. I carried a
>>pocket full of Compact Harvest Reapers, bandages, and mana potions to
>>reduce my downtime, and I preferred to attack a second mob before the
>>first one was entirely dead, relying on the Reaper to kill it while I
>>engaged the second one. I also used my wand when mob life got low to
>>enable mana to regen more.
>>

> I carry bandages and manna potions but use the later as last resort
> when the mob still alive and I'm out of manna. I used wand when mobs
> drop to 10% of their health. Though unlike humanoids, these beasts
> fight to the death and won't run away so I'm taking more hits as well
> :(

I use mana potions to extend the time before I need to sit and drink. I
also got Evocation a few levels ago and use it for the same purpose.

> Profession I have are the Enchanting to disenchant any soulbound items
> I have and the First Aid for a quick heal after the combat. All other
> professions take away time with little return.

Engineering is certainly both expesnive and time-consuming. On the other
hand, both bombs and Compact Harvest Reapers make a noticeable
difference in my measured exp/hr. When using both, I probably see an
improvement of around 8-10%.

> With bomb and other AoE spells, I found it time consuming to focus the
> blast radius especially during the fight when the mob is in your face,
> not to mention distracting as well. For stunning, I still rely on the
> stun ability off fire talent.

I always throw a bomb when the mob is right in my face, and have become
quite fast at targeting it. There is almost nothing to it: hit bomb
button, click. Mob is stunned briefly, which means one more fireball
without interruption and without moving, and a little more damage
without expending mana.

The benefit may be an illusion, though, because of the time it takes to
make the bombs.

> well, my objective is to grind to 60th lvl in shortest time possible so
> Yogojunzo does not focus on build up his primary profession.

Yes, this has never been a priority with Creach. I am clearly not
leveling him as fast as it is possible to do. First of all, I sent him
into instances to help guildmates pretty early on. Second, I have sent
him running around doing PVP things at various times. At this point his
level to /played ratio is quite unremarkable.

>>Generally the routine has been kill six mobs, drink, repeat.
>>

> Used to be able to do that at E'Camp prior making 30th level. At
> Shimmering flat, initially it was 2 mobs, and got as far as 3 - 4 mobs
> because of manna regen during travel between pockets.

I am still able to do that among the murlocs on the shore of Dustwallow
Marsh, and among the Woodpaw gnolls in Feralas. Of course, if my warrior
friend is around, I can last longer between drinks.

> no ganking here, except others who competed for your kills whether due
> to grinding or doing quests. So, lots of time travel among 2 pockets
> because of others grinding/questings.

I have been killed by Alliance players at every grinding location I have
tried, except for Darkcloud Pinnacle. Arathi Highlands would have
produce very impressive exp/hour numbers, except that Alliance killers
sent the rate into the toilet almost every time. However, if that's not
a problem on your server, you might try killing the Drywhisker kobolds
just east of Hammerfall; I saw quite impressive measured rates when I
was in my low thirties. It was the first place I approached 20,000 exp/hr.

>>It must be said that I get bored quickly and so I tend to move to new
>>areas before I ideally should. So I was in Shimmering Flats at a lower
>>level than I probably should have been; you might want to take that into
>>account.
>>

> I don't know how you able to grind successfully at lower than 30 at
> Shimmering Flat. AT 30th lvl, there are lot more monsters in red or 3+
> level above me that selection was not very good. Even those who are on
> par to 2 level above me takes a long time/mana to kill, hence 2 mobs
> per refill early on. The fact that they don't run away when dropped to
> less than 10% of health also hurt a lot initially. Coming from killing
> 6 mobs per refill, this was very depressing :(

I don't know what to say about it. I first started killing in Shimmering
Flats at level 28. I leveled from 29 to 30 pretty much entirely in the
Flats.

>>I got very good rates of experience by camping four places: the crashed
>>ship where the tortoises gather, Weazel's Crater (full of basilisks),
>>the big skeleton on the east side where the vultures gather, and the
>>ruined shack and pool in the south where the basilisks gather. It's hard
>>to completely clear the tortoises or basilisks unless several people are
>>grinding them. The basilisks in the crater respawn fast enough to keep
>>up to two grinders working. The vultures you can clear out solo in a
>>couple minutes, so they are just a snack for in between the other places.
>>

> My 2 pockets are weazel's crater and vultures place.
> Killing vultures for better chance of getting magical loot where as
> killing Basilisks give you better vendor trash loot.
>
> Now, I have cast my lot at Arathi Highlands, I will stay there for at
> least a level or 2 before decide whether to go back to Shimmering or
> stay oncourse with my original plan. Killing humanoid mobs gave better
> loots than beast mobs since I don't skin, plus humanoids tend to run
> away when their health are in red, maybe except Ogre.

I made a lot of money from vendors by selling scales and spines
collected from tortoises and basilisks in the Flats. Once I reached
level 33, I was spending a lot of time killing the tortoises by the
crashed ship in the north and the basilisks by the pool in the south
(though the latter location always carried a relatively high risk of
ganking).
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:37:25 AM

> > 41, a little over halfway to 42. I have slowed down, distracted by some
> > other characters.
> >

> Think you are the highest character of the three...

Indeed. I'm still stuck at 24. Lag disconnected me and killed my mage
last time I was questing in Durnholde Keep, so I don't even think I've
gained any rested EXP in all this time...

I seriously need to get back to work on Millie :)
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:50:57 AM

Pray tell, when you have the chance, Millie's /played stat...

thanks :-)

Babe Bridou wrote:
> > > 41, a little over halfway to 42. I have slowed down, distracted by some
> > > other characters.
> > >

> > Think you are the highest character of the three...
>
> Indeed. I'm still stuck at 24. Lag disconnected me and killed my mage
> last time I was questing in Durnholde Keep, so I don't even think I've
> gained any rested EXP in all this time...
>
> I seriously need to get back to work on Millie :)
July 15, 2005 12:53:30 PM

collection2002 wrote:

<snip>

Just for fun, because we are discussing our mages and Shimmering Flats
and experience rates, I got out a level 32 Troll Shaman I had lying
around and sent him to Shimmering Flats to try grinding.

Oh. My. God.

I found it quite easy to sustain rates between 31,000 and 36,000 exp/hour.

This shaman is using an Enhancement build. Enhancement is said to be the
best Shaman build for grinding, but I found the rate at which I could
grind through mobs in Shimmering Flats to be astonishing. In an hour of
grinding I think I sat down to rest maybe three times, and if I had
really wanted to I think I could have managed mana and hit points so
that I never had to rest.

Now I'm quite curious to get my level 28 rogue to 32 and send her to the
Flats for a comparison. I assume that she will be able to grind through
the beasts there even faster, but the thought of beating 36,000 exp/hr
with a level 32 character boggles me a little.

>>I use mana potions to extend the time before I need to sit and drink. I
>>also got Evocation a few levels ago and use it for the same purpose.
>>

> Start to use your idea of using manna potion to extend the time. Seems
> working till I ran out of potions :-( But your ideas does help reduce
> the downtime ;-)

Yes, I find that it takes a little experimentation to find the right
rhythm to use them. You have to balance the rate of grinding that you
would like to maintain with the price you are willing to pay for
potions. I have gone into a grinding session with more than 30 mana
potions, and I can keep up a pretty good rate for a while, but keeping
more than 30 mana potions in your pocket can be kind of expensive.

>>Engineering is certainly both expesnive and time-consuming. On the other
>>hand, both bombs and Compact Harvest Reapers make a noticeable
>>difference in my measured exp/hr. When using both, I probably see an
>>improvement of around 8-10%.
>>

> Engineering is definitely a bigger money/time sinker than Enchanting.
> At least other people can benefit from enchantment, only enginner
> benefit from his productions.

That's not entirely true; for example, I make both Ornate Spyglasses and
EZ-Thro dynamite for other people. However, Engineering is never going
to be a serious money maker. On the contrary, it's always going to cost
moeny, and is only worth doing if you use it, as I do, to speed up
leveling and make you harder to gank (or if you just really like some of
the cooler gadgets).

>>Yes, this has never been a priority with Creach. I am clearly not
>>leveling him as fast as it is possible to do. First of all, I sent him
>>into instances to help guildmates pretty early on. Second, I have sent
>>him running around doing PVP things at various times. At this point his
>>level to /played ratio is quite unremarkable.
>>

> Given the fact that you do dittering around and not strictly grinding,
> can you tell us what's your /played so far?

I'll try to remember to get that information for you, but the numbers
are not going to impress you. Creach has spent way too much time doing
things that generate no experience at all (for example, joining big,
slow, time-consuming raids, and playing losing games of Warsong Gulch).

>>I am still able to do that among the murlocs on the shore of Dustwallow
>>Marsh, and among the Woodpaw gnolls in Feralas. Of course, if my warrior
>>friend is around, I can last longer between drinks.
>>
> This reinforced what I suspected earlier than beasts are more resilient
> against fire spells than humanoids.

I'm not sure that's quite the right generalization. Certainly the beasts
in Shimmering Flats seem to have pretty good fire resistance, though.
Interestingly, I took my level 28 Warlock among the centaurs and the
Grimtotems, and I found that, although my experience rate was good in
both places, their Shadow resistance seems to be fairly high. (I also
found, by using Drain Mana, that the Galak Windchasers have a truly
amazing mana regeneration rate).

<snip>

> I think Drywhisker kobolds are 34 - 36th level ranged. Oh, and it is
> definitely a well visited area for both Horde & Alliance. After the
> manor, I will visit those vodoo trolls next before moving to kobolds.

Witherbarks? They are good, but I had to give up on them because their
village was Gank City.

>>I don't know what to say about it. I first started killing in Shimmering
>>Flats at level 28. I leveled from 29 to 30 pretty much entirely in the
>>Flats.
>>

> I would say, bombs & arcane talent pool, then.

I seriously doubt the Arcane talents had anything to do with it. I put
20 points into Fire up front, which means I didn't start adding Arcane
points until 30. The first 5 points went into Improved Arcane Missiles,
which, I guarantee, had no effect on my ability to kill, because I
simply don't use Arcane Missiles. At level 35 I started adding points to
Arcane Concentration; that could have had an effect on my grinding rate,
though not on my ability to kill. At 40 I added Evocation, which
certainly has an effect on my rate. At 41 I added my first point to
Improved Arcane Explosion. This talent expenditure will hhave no effect
for four more levels, because I basically don't use Arcane Explosion
until I have 5 points in Improved Arcane Explosion, rendering it instant.

If I had to guess why I had better success than you in the Flats, I
would guess:

(1) bombs and engineering gadgets

(2) I've played a mage a lot before and have a lot of practice and
confidence in grinding mobs higher levels than me with a mage

(3) I know the Flats pretty well

(4) It's possible (though less likely) that I may have spent my talent
in the Fire tree to greater advantage

>>I made a lot of money from vendors by selling scales and spines
>>collected from tortoises and basilisks in the Flats. Once I reached
>>level 33, I was spending a lot of time killing the tortoises by the
>>crashed ship in the north and the basilisks by the pool in the south
>>(though the latter location always carried a relatively high risk of
>>ganking).
>>

> No doubt about it, you get lot more gold generated loots in Shimmering.
> But I don't have the pressure of grinding for mount since I don't
> travel around much. Those silks, mageweave, potions and occassional
> magic item drops from Araithi Highland are much more useful for a
> grinder like me.

On that subject, for the third time I reached level 40 without saving
any money at all for a mount, and raised the money for the mount in a
few days by grinding. (That made Creach's /played number even worse,
because the fastest money grinding was in the Grimtotem compound, where
I got no experience at all, and in the Flats, where I got very little.
Interestingly, I tried grinding the elite mobs outside the Scarlet
Monastery and found the rate of money generation there was better than I
expected, partly because those mobs carry quite respectable amounts of
money, but more because their drop rate on green and better items is
quite high.)
!