Dell Optiplex 740 graphics card problem

Mazhar_Uchiha

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hey Guys,

I am buying a Dell Optiplex 740(used) mini tower with AMD Athlon X2 5000+, So I am thinking of buying a HD 5770 or a GTS 450 along with it.

Well what basically I need to know is, would the HD 5770 or GTS 450(full size) fit in the system? Also can u tell me would the system support pci express 2.1 or 3.0 cards? I know that they are backward compatible but Im asking because Ive already had a very bad experience with a HD 5550.I bought it thinking that it would be backward compatible but it didnt work(I had a lenovo i945 system with Pentium D) ,although theorotically it should work.It didnt work even when I upgraded the BIOS.

So these are the two problems Im stuck with. Please can someone help?

Thanks in Advance :).

EDIT:

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5000+
Ram: 2 GB DDR2
Power Supply : 450 watt

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you have the mid tower and not the slimline desktop, those cards will fit. But that board is a strange proprietary design and the card will have some length issues. Measure from the expansion covers to the nearest obstruction (like the PSU) to be sure there is enough length for those cards. And remember that the cards take up 2 bays; they are double width.

There should be no issue with 2.1 or 3.0 cards in 1.0 slots. I don't know what the problem was with your other machine.