aberboy0

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
just about to get my son a hd7950 vapor-x for xmas, but am worried bout bottleneck with the 955be, now he isnt into o/c'ing tbh, so is there anything can maybe sort bottleneck issue out, his monitor is 1080p so wont go higher, i put a GA-970A-UD3 board in for him last yr, and am i right in thinking it will be ok for the FX series? as sure its am3+

socialfox

Distinguished
If you want to save money then I would say overclock the 955 BE to something like 4 ghz. I don't know if there is a bottleneck but I would assume it would be little to none. If you are overclocking then get a new heatsink.

Edit: Don't think it would be something you could notice in terms of a bottleneck. Either way overclocking is the way to go if you want to save your money. I still own the Phenom 955 BE and I believe it is still a capable processor in today's standards, just no longer at the top :lol:

CDdude55

Distinguished
If his main priority is gaming then a strong GPU (which a 7950 qualifys under) is the most important.

It depends on your budget really, i don't think any of the Bulldozer FX chips will net you much of a performance increase, as they really only shine in software that is multi-threaded which the majority of games still aren't, the Piledriver FX chips on the other hand do provide a fairly substantial increase in performance over the older K10 chips.

So if i were going FX right now and had the money, then i'd go with Piledriver, granted they're more expensive. Otherwise i'd personally stick with the 955 until i see price drop somewhere. Keep in mind he's games should still run nicely with the HD 7950 in there.

aberboy0

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
cheers guys, was looking at overclocking the 955, but all i know is up the multiplier,lol havent a clue with vcore. i did buy him a cooler to try, but i think hes only upped multiplier 1 notch, was a artic freezer 7 or sumit, piledriver looks intresting tbh but do i want to spend £150 on a cpu that isnt a big leap forward, not so sure tbh

aberboy0

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

thats a great guide, i understand vcore more now, just baffled by ram timmings now :lol: but i wil get there, well eventually

many thx

TRENDING THREADS