Keep the Case?

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I'm in the process of planning out my next build. My current computer case is a Coolmaster Centurion 5 and it is a decent case. I have the option of course of doing my next build in the same case or buying a new case. The new build has not been finalized but will likely be an i5-3570K some Z77 board ASRock extreme 4 possibly, 8-16G of ram, a coolmaster 212 EVO cooler and 1 SSD and 1 HD.

I know the C5 does not have USB3 front side support since it was bought before USB3 existed. How important do people feel that is? Can the usb2 ports on the Front still be used or would they be completely useless with the ASRock board? A case isn't much $ but if I don't need one then I can save the money for something else.

ErikTheAndroid

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
USB 3.0 is more or less useless unless you have a USB 3.0 flash drive or other storage device. Keep the case and save yourself some money :)

And in regards to RAM right now you will never need more than 8GB (for all intents and purposes) but you could get 16 if you feel like it because it won't negatively effect you and RAM is cheap.

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
So just so I'm 100% clear cause I buy systems for the long haul >5 years is a min goal, USB 3.0 would work on a 2.0 just not at the higher speed (and I know I'd have USB 3.0 in the rear of the computer)?

And the reason I am thinking of 16G is for that long term approach and RAM is cheap, last built the 2G of ram was about 20% of the entire build cost now it's dirt cheap