Sign in with
Your question

What are the wholesale prices of Intel CPUs?

Last response: in CPUs
November 24, 2012 12:04:29 AM

I'm not sure if "wholesale" is the right word, but I was just wondering how much it costs Intel to manufacture their various CPUs and then how much it costs for retailers to buy them? I'm not even sure if this is the kind of stuff people here would know, I would imagine it probably isn't common knowledge, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm wondering because after recent sales like the i5 2500K going for $100 at Microcenter and the i3 3225 for $60 at Tiger Direct (amazing deals that I'm really kicking myself for not being able to grab, stupid Amazon, why can't you have sales like this!?), I'm left wondering if they are just taking a loss to get people into the store and buying other things to make up the difference or if they can really sell them for this cheap because they buy them from Intel for even cheaper?
November 24, 2012 12:53:26 AM

wolfkraut said:
I'm not sure if "wholesale" is the right word, but I was just wondering how much it costs Intel to manufacture their various CPUs and then how much it costs for retailers to buy them? I'm not even sure if this is the kind of stuff people here would know, I would imagine it probably isn't common knowledge, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm wondering because after recent sales like the i5 2500K going for $100 at Microcenter and the i3 3225 for $60 at Tiger Direct (amazing deals that I'm really kicking myself for not being able to grab, stupid Amazon, why can't you have sales like this!?), I'm left wondering if they are just taking a loss to get people into the store and buying other things to make up the difference or if they can really sell them for this cheap because they buy them from Intel for even cheaper?

These are cheaper.and if you want one,I think the 100$ i5 is a better choice.
m
l
November 25, 2012 1:47:47 AM

Giggitygoebbels said:
These are cheaper.and if you want one,I think the 100$ i5 is a better choice.

I'm sorry, what? I'm not asking which one to buy, these sales are over. I'm asking how much it costs Intel to make their CPUs and how much it costs retailers to buy them.
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:27:00 AM

It's very easy to find the answer if you look at the annual stockholder reports...it's very cheap, they have like an 60-80% gross margin...also, 100 dollars at a store, doesn't mean intel sold it to the store for 100 bucks, probably closer to 70-75
m
l
!