Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Upgrading PC - Compatibility

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2012 9:31:48 AM

Hey guys, I registered here because reading through the forums I found you guys gave good advice. So I'm highly considering upgrading my computer as it is quite old and struggles to play games from a few years ago on the lowest settings (cannot run left for dead 2 on lowest settings!). I posted here as I figure the system is most restricted by its old mobo (sorry if in the wrong section!).
I am very limited with money, but wish to buy the fewest possible components to play modern games (on decent settings) and hopefully last a while longer.

My current specs are:
Motherboard: ECS A740GM-M
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9300 Ge
Ram: 1 X 2gb DDR2, 1X 1gb DDR2
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240

I am aware my computer is quite outdated, but I figured if I upgrade my CPU and GPU to something more modern (and compatible with my mobo) the system can handle newer games (eg; Starcraft 2, Guild Wars 2 ect;). I am reluctant to upgrade my mobo due to setup and price issues.

The CPU I am interested in is this:
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T CPU 2.7 GHz Hex Core AM3 Processor - $126
This has an AM3 socket type yet it is to my knowledge that it is backwards compatible with the socket type on my mobo, AM2+. Is this correct?

The GPU I am interested in is this:
Powercolor AMD ATI Radeon HD 6850 AX6850 1GBD5-DH VIdeo Card - $150
This GPU is PCI-E X16 2.1 whilst my mobo only has PCI-E X16 1.1. It is also too my knowledge that this is still compatible with only minor performance downfalls. Is this correct?

Is what I am proposing feasible? Will performance increase too an extent significant enough too run modern games on decent settings (normal to high settings)? What is your opinion on this CPU and GPU? Is there a more better/powerful alternative for around a similar price?

I hope you guys can help, I'm a bit of a noob and it is my first time upgrading my custom built computer myself. Thanks alot in advance.

Best solution

July 14, 2012 2:56:33 AM

Here are the processors your AM2+ socketed board can accept: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...
Be aware they are all 95W or lower processors.
The first thing I'd do is get the HD 6850 you want and see if that does the trick for you. Gaming is mainly about the graphics card as long as you have an adequate processor. You dual core is a bit low powered, for sure, but the HD 6850 will give you good frame rates with it up to 1680x1050 resolution. Anything higher and it will struggle. PCIe versions are backward compatible.
July 14, 2012 6:17:05 AM

Okay thanks alot for the reply, I should've noticed that as I was on that page before! So the best possible CPU for me to get in this case would be the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad core? And that is quite decent (for what I want)?
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 8:55:36 AM

Best answer selected by modsa.
m
l
July 14, 2012 6:40:30 PM

modsa said:
Okay thanks alot for the reply, I should've noticed that as I was on that page before! So the best possible CPU for me to get in this case would be the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad core? And that is quite decent (for what I want)?

Yes, the fastest Ph II X4 Quad on that list will be the best you can do with that board and will be a noticable improvement over the Athlon II X2 you have now. But if money is tight, I would first try the card alone. You may not have to invest in a processor upgrade if you want to save money. But keep in mind, those processors are not made anymore. You will have to search them out on places like ebay.
m
l
!