Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Gaming Rig in 4 mo, cpu and what to buy now or later?

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2012 11:30:22 PM

I am building a new rig that will be designed to play the types of games I dabble in for several years without needing any upgrades (mainly 4x strategy like Sins or Civ 5, RTS like SCII, and my mmo of choice Eve with several clients open). I have never overclocked but am looking into setting myself up with gear that a year or two down the road I will be able to overclock if I need to do so. Currently I am out of the states and will be back just before thanksgiving and have been reading and making my list of parts to acquire and was hoping for a tad bit of advice of what can be bought now and specifically what CPU to pick out.

Firstly the Motherboard seems like a safe buy now, I don't expect prices to fall too dramatically and something solid like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard which is only $125.00 so that seems like a safe buy.

I may have picked up my ssd already because of a shell shocker deal lol, but for high capacity a WD Caviar Blue or Black seems fair but is the cost of storage going up or down? Should I hold off for 4mo or look for a good deal now?

So now using LGA 1155 I am scratching my head at 3 or 4 units. I want to go big so of course I am looking at i7-2700K vs i7-3770K. Stat wise I don't (think I) care about the 37's power savings or better integrated graphics and otherwise they seem more or less the same EXCEPT that the 37 is currently $30 more and seems via http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overcloc... and other articles that for an overclocking newbie like me who will just air cool the older generation seems like it is going to be the safer bet. Now to throw a wrench into this I am also looking at the i5-3570K which will save 80.00/110.00 bucks off the i7s for stat wise only a drop in the L3 Cache from 8 to 6MB (not sure how big a difference this really makes) but again the new Ivy Bridge doesn't seem to overclock as well so would the i5-2550K be the best bet??? But the 2700k for just a tad more seems worth it and Le Sigh that brings me back to the comparison with the 3770 and the loop continues. All I know at this point is the i7s with the 6 cores probably wont be worth it because games don't really care about those last 2 cores yet but any advice of whats going to be my best choice out of those other 4 would be appreciated.

As for RAM if I plan on going for 16g I think I will find a 4x4 pair of the new ddr3 that can run on the lower voltage ? again my main question would be should I pick this up now or wait 4 mo.

I will find a nice full sized case and an appropriate 600-750ish watt power supply no problem and as for my video card.. well.. that can wait till I get back, I assume the prices will probably be better in 4 mo but for the record to go with this rig my eye is on something like the EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Maybe I am shorting myself with this but compared to the crappy low end cards I have always used this is like the holy grail and with one card can bump me up from 2 to 3 monitors (a big plus for me).

Any Input at all would be great. Thanks.

More about : gaming rig cpu buy

July 13, 2012 9:34:33 AM

Go with the 3570K - its slightly faster clock for clock against Sandy Bridge processors. Use the $80 saved from skipping the 3770k and put it towards something else. The 3770K nor the 2700K's extra threads will do you any good for gaming.
m
l
July 13, 2012 11:08:37 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2012 11:14:31 AM

You should buy everything later.
m
l
July 13, 2012 11:22:29 AM

Buying everything now piecemeal when I am sitting at work for 8 hours a day with nothing better to do then look at newegg/tiger and can get things as sales and deals come out seems like it would at least be comparable to waiting the 4 mo and just buying everything at one though? I mean a rig today vs 4 mo from now would save what? $50 maybe? and I will be just grabbing things as I see good deals so I might actually get the rig overall for cheaper if I start now possibly.. or do you just think that 4 mo would really make a big difference?
m
l

Best solution

July 13, 2012 11:26:45 AM

Maybe if you keep your cool and look for deals on only the items you need and want.
July 30, 2012 10:01:50 AM

Best answer selected by Kiromishu.
m
l
!