WinTV GO cause win 2000 lockup @ startup

akula

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
Hello Good People

I have a problem with WinTv GO, It's lockup W2k at startup. But when i unplug the card, w2k works just fine.
Is the card is broken or i have to do something with it (e.g bios setting etc) ? Below is my comp details
I updated the bios and all the hard/w drivers are up to date.

Asus CUSL2-C (no audio/video built in) with 6pci (815EP)
LeadTak WinFast Geforce 2 Pro 32M
SB LIVE! X-Gamer (PCI slot 1)
Linksys lne100TX (PCI slot 3)
2 HD
2 dvd/cdrw
Windows 2000 with SP2 install (and dX8a)

Note:
1) I did send a prob report to hauppaugge, and he said that conflict with my geforce, so how i overcome this prob?
2) I did try every pci slot on my m/b (with sb live! on slot 1), NONE is working (except slot 2
where my comp keep restart @ startup until i pull wintv out.

PLEASEEEE HELPPPPP

Thanks in advance...

Akula M

G

I was just about to suggest moving it to another PCI slot, but it appears that you've done that =)

I have heard that the wintv go cards do not take kindly to increased bus speeds, which in turn run your pci slots out of spec. That's the only card that I've heard of that doesn't take kindly to it, but I'm sure there are others.

However, if you haven't overclocked your bus then I don't know what to tell ya. All I can say is that you do NOT want to get the ATI TVWonder or TVWonder VE because they lack win2k support. The only software/drivers for 2k are in beta, and ATI knowingly released them despite the fact that it will crash a 2k system after 45 seconds of capture. I was at their site last night because I myself am in the immediate market for a TV card. See this link for more information
<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/tv_wonder_ve/index.html" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/tv_wonder_ve/index.html</A>

The tvwonder ve looked good...it's more feature packed than the wintv go, but if the thing's not going to work then hell...

Ok I know you didn't come here to ask about an ati card, but just in case you were considering replacing your wintv go with the tvwonder which is similarly priced at Best Buy, I could at least save you some headache there.

I'll try to dig up some more info on the wintv go for you, and please post back with your progress, because I myself was thinking about getting that very card.

<b>edit:</b>
That link isn't the one I wanted...I'm still looking for the one where ATI says they released crappy drivers, something they seem to be rather well known for...still looking (thought I bookmarked it..grr)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SmlHrs on 08/03/01 09:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

akula

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
Hi SmlHrs, Thanks for the reply

About wintv....HMmm..it's dead. I did try it again, this time i unplug sb live! and plug wintv in slot pci 1. w2k does not even detect it.
And then i gave it to my friends computer with 98se. No good either.
i already throw it away an hour ago...there's goes my 50 bucks....

Anyawy, i will purchase a new tv tuner. My first choise is 3dfx voodooTV 100. Well i know 3dfx is dead, but for $29 on www.ubid.com and i read alot of good review on this card. 2nd choice is PinnacleSystems TV Tuner for $21. And may be Ati tv tuner card, but it's *a little bit* expensive (66 bucks in www.cnet.com).

Lastly, about the drivers, i would like to share with you. There's a website about this bt878 driver (tv tuner driver) for windows 2000, if you like to read.
http://www.geocities.com/amethman/
BE really carefull though.

Thanks again for the reply....