Cheap digital camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 14, 2005 2:02:39 AM

Hi,

I am looking for a the cheapest camera which can do what I need:
I run a very small food shop and I need sometimes to take picture of
my products to use on web and sometimes get a print for hanging up the
wall. The print does not need to be very great. I have f.eks. printed
photos I have found on the net with good results. there are however
some specification which matters: the zomm should be between 50 mm to
90 or 120 mm (Equivalent). the camera should either have high ISO
(800) or if not possibility to use external flash, such taht I can use
a flash connected to camera by cable. Do you know a good camera, cheap
with similar spec?

Thanks

Mojtaba

More about : cheap digital camera

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:02:40 AM

Dangit, I just wrote a huge post and it died on me.

short answer then.

Canon EOS 300d w/ 18-55mm lens. This translates to 27-80mm appx because
of the 1.5x focal length multiplier. About $800 with lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

You can choose whatever lens you like though really. 50-75mm is best
because is leaves the subject in more true lifelike form. Lower makes
things look fatter, higher makes them look thinner. (that 10lbs TV
effect...)

A Konica Minolta DiMage A200 is about $550, has bad noise above 400
ISO. But you can use lighting or flashes and a lower ISO. This camera
is compatible with all of Konica's high end flashes.

You really need some continuous lighting, not flashes, for indoor
product shots.

Photoflex starlight tungsten soft-box. $300
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

Photoflex Multidic reflector set and holder. $200
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

At the very least you need to get a soft-box add-on for the on camera
flash.

Also some good muslin backgrounds would be a boon. But a fancy table or
setup world work also for food. Maybe a large backdrop behind the
table.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:02:40 AM

err..

that should have read "multidisc" not dic.
Related resources
August 14, 2005 2:59:27 AM

Mojtaba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a the cheapest camera which can do what I need:
> I run a very small food shop and I need sometimes to take picture of
> my products to use on web and sometimes get a print for hanging up the
> wall. The print does not need to be very great. I have f.eks. printed
> photos I have found on the net with good results. there are however
> some specification which matters: the zomm should be between 50 mm to
> 90 or 120 mm (Equivalent). the camera should either have high ISO
> (800) or if not possibility to use external flash, such taht I can use
> a flash connected to camera by cable. Do you know a good camera, cheap
> with similar spec?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mojtaba

Have a look at a Canon A400 or A510. Either should suit your purpose,
without costing too much. Be sure to look at the Steve's Digicams sample
pictures; the still life/candy shots in particular. They should give you
a good idea of what to expect for your food shots.

A400:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a400-...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a400.html
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psa400/index-e.html

A510:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a510_...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a510.html
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psa510/index-e.html
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:14:13 AM

I do food pics for a publication...I like to use slave flashes. I have a
couple of them that are set off by the cameras flash and they have bounce
reflectors on them. It takes a little practice buy once you get it right
once it is easy to repeat.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
"wavelength" <sbrisendine@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dangit, I just wrote a huge post and it died on me.
>
> short answer then.
>
> Canon EOS 300d w/ 18-55mm lens. This translates to 27-80mm appx because
> of the 1.5x focal length multiplier. About $800 with lens.
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>
> You can choose whatever lens you like though really. 50-75mm is best
> because is leaves the subject in more true lifelike form. Lower makes
> things look fatter, higher makes them look thinner. (that 10lbs TV
> effect...)
>
> A Konica Minolta DiMage A200 is about $550, has bad noise above 400
> ISO. But you can use lighting or flashes and a lower ISO. This camera
> is compatible with all of Konica's high end flashes.
>
> You really need some continuous lighting, not flashes, for indoor
> product shots.
>
> Photoflex starlight tungsten soft-box. $300
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>
> Photoflex Multidic reflector set and holder. $200
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>
> At the very least you need to get a soft-box add-on for the on camera
> flash.
>
> Also some good muslin backgrounds would be a boon. But a fancy table or
> setup world work also for food. Maybe a large backdrop behind the
> table.

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:27:52 PM

Is there some reason to want only a digital? Instead of paying for a
new digital, you can shoot with a film camera and send to to a
processor that would ordinarily develop and print for $7-8 who can give
you CD with images for $3-4 more. You can process a lot of film and
have it converted to CD for the price of a new digital!

If you really need to get a digital, you need to find one which has a
hot shoe for camera-mounted flash, you can get a hto-shot-to-PC adapter
unit which permits you to connect directly to studio flash unit. And,
of course, you will need to have the ability on the camera to set the
lens aperture manually to correspond to the light output.

The other alternative someone mentioned is to use the in-camera flash
unit to optically trigger slave flash units that go off when the
in-camera flash goes off.

-Wilt
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:31:35 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:02:39 +0200, Mojtaba <mojt@stwart.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a the cheapest camera which can do what I need:
>I run a very small food shop and I need sometimes to take picture of
>my products to use on web and sometimes get a print for hanging up the
>wall. The print does not need to be very great. I have f.eks. printed
>photos I have found on the net with good results. there are however
>some specification which matters: the zomm should be between 50 mm to
>90 or 120 mm (Equivalent). the camera should either have high ISO
>(800) or if not possibility to use external flash, such taht I can use
>a flash connected to camera by cable. Do you know a good camera, cheap
>with similar spec?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mojtaba
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:36:00 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:02:39 +0200, Mojtaba <mojt@stwart.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a the cheapest camera which can do what I need:
>I run a very small food shop and I need sometimes to take picture of
>my products to use on web and sometimes get a print for hanging up the
>wall. The print does not need to be very great. I have f.eks. printed
>photos I have found on the net with good results. there are however
>some specification which matters: the zomm should be between 50 mm to
>90 or 120 mm (Equivalent). the camera should either have high ISO
>(800) or if not possibility to use external flash, such taht I can use
>a flash connected to camera by cable. Do you know a good camera, cheap
>with similar spec?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mojtaba

Take a look at the Fuji Finepix F10. No personal experience, but I
have been watching info on this camera and am hearing good things. My
main point of interest is the high ISO capability. Take a look at the
sample shots at www.dpreview.com

HTH
Bill
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:24:06 AM

On 14 Aug 2005 12:27:52 -0700, "wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote:

>Is there some reason to want only a digital? Instead of paying for a
>new digital, you can shoot with a film camera and send to to a
>processor that would ordinarily develop and print for $7-8 who can give
>you CD with images for $3-4 more. You can process a lot of film and
>have it converted to CD for the price of a new digital!

Hi,
Gisle have already given several reasons why I am lookjing for
digital. I ahve already a film based system. i am simply looking for
speed. I don't live in America and here buying a film and processing
is expensive. At the end wehn yo get the pictures you see that litle
mistake. Normally a cheap process takes 4 days for me but digital
gives imidiate results. that's why I am looking for something not
expensive because I am not leaving film. Thank you for your reply.

Mojtaba

>If you really need to get a digital, you need to find one which has a
>hot shoe for camera-mounted flash, you can get a hto-shot-to-PC adapter
>unit which permits you to connect directly to studio flash unit. And,
>of course, you will need to have the ability on the camera to set the
>lens aperture manually to correspond to the light output.
>
>The other alternative someone mentioned is to use the in-camera flash
>unit to optically trigger slave flash units that go off when the
>in-camera flash goes off.
>
>-Wilt
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:34:11 AM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:36:00 -0400, carver33@bellsouth.net wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:02:39 +0200, Mojtaba <mojt@stwart.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am looking for a the cheapest camera which can do what I need:
>>I run a very small food shop and I need sometimes to take picture of
>>my products to use on web and sometimes get a print for hanging up the
>>wall. The print does not need to be very great. I have f.eks. printed
>>photos I have found on the net with good results. there are however
>>some specification which matters: the zomm should be between 50 mm to
>>90 or 120 mm (Equivalent). the camera should either have high ISO
>>(800) or if not possibility to use external flash, such taht I can use
>>a flash connected to camera by cable. Do you know a good camera, cheap
>>with similar spec?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Mojtaba
>
>Take a look at the Fuji Finepix F10. No personal experience, but I
>have been watching info on this camera and am hearing good things. My
>main point of interest is the high ISO capability. Take a look at the
>sample shots at www.dpreview.com
>
>HTH
>Bill

thak you Bill,

That seems to be an excellent camera only if it could get an external
flash.

regards,

Mojtaba
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:34:12 AM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:34:11 +0200, Mojtaba wrote:

>>> some specification which matters: the zomm should be between
>>> 50 mm to 90 or 120 mm (Equivalent). the camera should either have
>>> high ISO (800) or if not possibility to use external flash,

>>Take a look at the Fuji Finepix F10. No personal experience, but I
>>have been watching info on this camera and am hearing good things. My
>>main point of interest is the high ISO capability. Take a look at the
>>sample shots at www.dpreview.com
>>
>>HTH
>>Bill

> thak you Bill,
>
> That seems to be an excellent camera only if it could get an external
> flash.

But it meets your goal, since unlike other P&S cameras it can take
good pictures at ISO 800. You can always add an external flash to
almost any P&S camera. You just have to get a "smart" external
flash that detects and ignores the camera's pre-flashes. Canon
makes one that works with most of their Powershot cameras. Sony
makes one for their cameras, and Metz probably has a better, cheaper
remote flash that'll work with almost any P&S. Check out Vivitar
too. Since these remotes don't use cables (they detect the light
from the camera's flash) you can easily use 2 or more remote flashes
to get more power and/or more even light distribution. If you're
going to use flash anyway, the Canon A510 might be a better way to
go. It has some manual ability that the Fuji F10 lacks, and also
has a viewfinder :)  B&H has Canon's remote flash, but several
months ago it wasn't listed as an accessory for their cameras even
though you could find it on B&H's website if you knew the model
number to search for. Hopefully that's been corrected by now.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:56:48 PM

Mojtaba <mojt@stwart.net> writes:
> I am looking for a the cheapest camera which can do what I need: I
> run a very small food shop and I need sometimes to take picture of
> my products to use on web and sometimes get a print for hanging up
> the wall. The print does not need to be very great. I have
> f.eks. printed photos I have found on the net with good
> results. there are however some specification which matters: the
> zomm should be between 50 mm to 90 or 120 mm (Equivalent). the
> camera should either have high ISO (800) or if not possibility to
> use external flash, such taht I can use a flash connected to camera
> by cable. Do you know a good camera, cheap with similar spec?

I would say that almost any modern digital camera has the resolution
required for your project.

However, useable high ISO in inexpensive compacts still leaves a lot
to be desired, so if you really think you need that, you should get an
entry level DSLR such as Canon 350D or Nikon D50 - but these may be
outside your price range?

A cheaper alternative is a quality compact with a capability for
external flash. I am a big fan of cheap radio transmitters,
rather than cords, to control off-camera flash, so I would also
make sure that the camera has a hot-shoe (the master unit
of a radio slave must be hot-shoe mounted). With a radio slave
setup, you can control several flashes, so a more complex lighting
arrangment is possible if desired.

DPreview has a buying guide that lets you select features and
show you suitable cameras:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
The cheapest one I found there with a hot-shoe was the the
Olympus C-5000 (5 Mpx, approx. NOK 3000). At that, price, it
does not sound like a bargain to me - it is getting quite
long in the tooth, and should cost less than NOK 2000 now.
You might find a better price than me by shopping around, but
at NOK 3000, forget it. I think maybe DPreview is not really
into compacts - so its model database in that area is sparse.

One possible route is to find a model in the Canon Powershot G-series.
All these have a hot-shoe, better than average optics, and full
manual control.

I would say that the G2 (4 Mpx), G3 (4 Mpx), G5 (5 Mpx) and G6
(7 Mpx) would be good cameras for your project. The current model
(G6) is NOK 4734,-. I think it is a great camera for the price, but
probably an overkill for your project. You may be equally well served
with a G2 (well, maybe - it is getting old), or preferably a G3 or G5.
All these are discontinued models. If you can find these in a shop,
they should be available at clearout prices.

Second hand, you should be able to find a good second-hand G-series
Canon for less than NOK 2500 for the G3/G5, and less than NOK 1500 for
the G2. Check out http://foto.no/bruktmarked/ (one if the best place
to hunt for second hand cameras in Norway). Them off course there is
eBay, where the going rate for a good quality used G3 seems to be
US $ 240 (NOK 1600). With shipping and MOMS (VAT), that works out
as around NOK 2300 delivered at your local psot office.

For off-camera flash, I am a big fan of radio slaves rather than
cords. For one thing, they let you use cheap old auto flashes such as
the great Vivitar 283 and 285 without fear of damaging the camera.
I have a web page on the subject, check out:
http://folk.uio.no/gisle/photo/gt301b.html

Best of luck with your food photography, and greetings from Oslo to
Bergen!