Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes at various points

Last response: in Components
November 24, 2012 2:00:57 AM

Hello,
My computer was locking up during boot and/or start-up. Sometimes I would not even get video, other times I would get to the Windows splash screen. I replaced the motherboard, processor and memory. Got the same results. I tried a video card that I know was working, got the same result. I tried a working hard drive, got the same result. I have essentially replaced everything except the case and power supply.

Could the power supply cause this problem?

thanks
November 24, 2012 9:24:27 AM

This is a bit of a long shot but your CPU could be overheating if the heat sink is too clogged up with dust and/or the thermal paste has dried and is no longer as effective.

If the PSU is not providing enough power for what ever reason then that could definitely be the problem so if you have a spare PSU laying around then you should definitely try using it.

Honestly I don't know much about PSU but to me that's what I would blame here.
m
l
November 24, 2012 9:31:13 AM

Could you please explain what you mean by "I replaced the motherboard, processor and memory" ?

Did you buy new hardware or just dismantled the PC and put things back in ?

My answer below is based on the assumption you purchased new parts.

I'm guessing by changing all those parts, there shouldn't be any dirt clogging your Heat Sink or Case Fans.

Obviously you have changed every possible thing without any success so you might as well do the PSU to finish it up.

If nothing changes after replacing the PSU, we'll move on to other areas then.

This is a classic scenario where I would have started with PSU.

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 24, 2012 9:35:47 AM

Which is your hardware configuration, and PSU brand and wattage?
m
l
November 24, 2012 11:29:09 AM

2697045,3,1089100 said:
Could you please explain what you mean by "I replaced the motherboard, processor and memory" ?

Did you buy new hardware or just dismantled the PC and put things back in ?

I did buy new motherboard, processor and memory. There is no dirt or dust. The case fan spins freely and has no build-up.

I will try changing the PSU and see what happens.

thanks!
m
l
November 24, 2012 12:18:18 PM

Keep us updated after PSU change
m
l
!