how to control taskbar flash?

As you all know, whenever a background app has something important to
say, it flashes its taskbar button orange.

If your taskbar is normally hidden, this also covers up important status
lines and toolbars in your foreground window. And that the bright
orange flash is REALLY distracting.

I found out how to reduce the flash to just once.

I'd like to do the following, as well:

- cancel the flashing completely

- change the orange to something less in-your-face

- stop certain programs (especially Messenger) from EVER being allowed
to flash the taskbar for petty nonsense like some dummy from the next
office wanting to know whether it's raining outside your window too

- make the taskbar go back down again instead of obstructing my work.
Having the alert for a half-second would be enough!

The default flashing taskbar is, unfortunately, probably the single most
counterproductive 'feature' of XP's interface.

kelly

TweakUI/General/Focus

Prevent Programs from Stealing Focus - Undo (Line 66)

When a window that does not have focus is updated by its program, the
default setting prevents it from becoming the foremost (top) window,
instead, it flashes in the taskbar.

HeldUp is the easiest way to stop windows from disappearing behind other
programs. http://www.johnmacintyre.ca/HeldUp.asp

Programs May Start, Quit, Lose, and Gain Focus Randomly
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313176&Product=winxp

Customize Auto Hide Taskbar Settings (Line 190) Right hand side

In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Kelly wrote:
> TweakUI/General/Focus
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
>
> Prevent Programs from Stealing Focus - Undo (Line 66)
>
> When a window that does not have focus is updated by its program, the
> default setting prevents it from becoming the foremost (top) window,
> instead, it flashes in the taskbar.
>
> HeldUp is the easiest way to stop windows from disappearing behind other
> programs. http://www.johnmacintyre.ca/HeldUp.asp
>
> Programs May Start, Quit, Lose, and Gain Focus Randomly
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313176&Product=winxp
>
> Customize Auto Hide Taskbar Settings (Line 190) Right hand side

Thanks for these suggestions, but they don't seem effective. My taskbar
buttons still flash five times (though I set them to flash only once
using TweakUI) and they still flash in the same "LOOK AT ME!" shade of
orange.

The taskbar still stays in the foreground instead of going away after a
second or so.

kelly

Hi,

Did you see the previous reply about speech recognition causing this?

--

> Kelly wrote:
>> TweakUI/General/Focus
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
>>
>> Prevent Programs from Stealing Focus - Undo (Line 66)
>>
>> When a window that does not have focus is updated by its program, the
>> default setting prevents it from becoming the foremost (top) window,
>> instead, it flashes in the taskbar.
>>
>> HeldUp is the easiest way to stop windows from disappearing behind other
>> programs. http://www.johnmacintyre.ca/HeldUp.asp
>>
>> Programs May Start, Quit, Lose, and Gain Focus Randomly
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313176&Product=winxp
>>
>> Customize Auto Hide Taskbar Settings (Line 190) Right hand side
>

> Thanks for these suggestions, but they don't seem effective. My taskbar
> buttons still flash five times (though I set them to flash only once using
> TweakUI) and they still flash in the same "LOOK AT ME!" shade of orange.
>
> The taskbar still stays in the foreground instead of going away after a
> second or so.

swapnilgk

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I am also suffering from the same problem, looking at the date of the first post - Did you guys get any remedy to this?