Power supply minimum

I have a 500 watt power supply, and I just ordered a evga gtx 560 ti 448 core classified ultra (012-P3-2078-KR) from newegg. The only problem is that the "minimum" power supply warning for this card is 550 watts, 50 watts above my ps. When I plug my specs into extreme ps calculator, it says i only need a 450... so do I need to buy a new ps?
specs:
i5 3570k NOT OVERCLOCKED (yet, might go to 4ghz later)
2x4gb (8gb) of crucial ballistix
seagate 1tb 7200 etc etc its like the most popular hard drive right now i think you know which one im talking about
lite-on 17 dollar cheap cd/dvd burner just to get by (works fine btw, dont hate, its not an important part of the computer really)
pci-e 1x wireless card
2x 120mm fans (one is the rear exhaust and the other is the cpu fan)
1x 140mm front intake
thats about it... i think.
SO THE QUESTION IS, IS IT WORTH 75-100 or more DOLLARS TO GET A 600+ WATT POWER SUPPLY?
10 answers Last reply
More about power supply minimum
  1. Oh i forgot, my motherboard is a asrock z77 extreme4
  2. Better question is what PSU you have. Not all PSUs are created equally.
  3. wattage(TOTAL) is only part of the story, How much 12 volt current do you have?

I have seen 450 watt power supplies with 420 watts @ 12 volts and others with 200 watts @ 12 volts(the rest is on the 3.3 and 5).

12 volts is what video cards and cpus crave.

EDITed for clarity
  4. ok so my power supply is a corsair cx 500.... brand new... works good right now
  5. 456 watts(38A) at 12 volts should be all good.

The card should draw about 150 is most demanding games and about 200 TOPS with furmarks.
  6. ok so i have 150 dollars left in my budget, is it worth it to get a 600+ watt power supply and would you suggest? would like to keep sli as an upgrade option if i upgrade my power supply. also! would anyone like to buy my cx500? 2 weeks of usage, handled carefully, all parts included etc etc
  7. 40 dollars
  8. kotimex said:
    ok so i have 150 dollars left in my budget, is it worth it to get a 600+ watt power supply and would you suggest? would like to keep sli as an upgrade option if i upgrade my power supply. also! would anyone like to buy my cx500? 2 weeks of usage, handled carefully, all parts included etc etc

Hi - If you are going to SLI then you do need more power than the cx500. Are you able to return, sell, or trade it?
    However, most 600w units only include 2 pci-e connectors, if either of the GPU's you SLI with require more than
    1 pci-e connector, you'd be out of luck (unless you use adapters - not recommended). Just keep that in mind when deciding.

Tom

For far less than $150 (if you are in the US) you van get a quality 750w unit which would assure you
    of enough pci-e connectors.
  9. kotimex said:
    ok so i have 150 dollars left in my budget, is it worth it to get a 600+ watt power supply and would you suggest? would like to keep sli as an upgrade option if i upgrade my power supply. also! would anyone like to buy my cx500? 2 weeks of usage, handled carefully, all parts included etc etc

An outstanding price/value unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021 Seasonic built - nets to $60 after mir

and includes 4 pci-e connectors
  10. @toyftw why thank you! good information indeed
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product