What do you think of my 1st Gaming PC?

Valion

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hey guys

Been almost 2 months since i've built my first gaming PC and i hope i did well and what better way to know than to ask what other people think :)

I don't overclock and mostly play games with this rig and the occasional web browsing.

CPU: Core i5-3550
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600
GPU: eVGA GTX 570
Case: Cougar Evolution
PSU : Cougar CMX 700w

I know i need to add more RAM aiming at 8GB and planning to get a SSD + 1TB HDD to replace my current 500GB Seagate.

Is there anything else i could do to improve my rig?

Cheers!

Valion

Honorable
May 19, 2012
i appreciate the advice but as i said i don't overclock, i don't like it but thanks for the input though.

But regarding a better headsink should i opt for a after-market heatsink even if i don't overclock? currently my CPU idles at 39-41 degrees and around 50 to nearly 60 at load.

Valion

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Well i am asking what ppl think of my 1st gaming rig as the thread title says and if there is anything else i can do to improve it.....

Apparently that isn't allowed so ok then thanks for the time anyway

Of course, you can ask for opinions..

My suggestion would have been to spend $5 more on a 3570K wnich is a bit faster than the 3550, and you will preserve your option to OC in the future.

The second suggestion would have been to buy a 8gb kit up front. Ram is cheap.
Ram vendors will not support multile sticks of ram from different kits.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Enthusiasts tend to get uptight when it comes to heatsinks and PSUs. The truth is that a decent PSU doesn't need to cost a fortune, and the stock Intel heatsink is fine, especially if you're not over-clocking at all. If indoor temperatures reach 40°, then maybe your CPU will start to overheat.

My only advice: there's no point waiting to get more SDRAM. Prices have been basically stagnant for a while now, so there will be no benefit waiting any longer. Do it now. Obviously the longer you hold out the greater the risk that Corsair stops manufacturing that particular model of memory stick.

fiduke

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

The only thing I would have done differently is the PSU. It's not terrible, but it's not a good 700watt PSU. It apparently has issues over 560watts. So as long as you stay under, you'll be fine. By your specs you'll always be well under unless you decide to pick up another 570 down the road. If you do that I'd get a new PSU.