US->EU

so i finnaly couldnt wait for blizzard to live up to their promise and
allow US cd-key users to "see" european servers, so i got a hold of EU
cd-key so i can play with some of my friends...question, i have us
retail version...how do i convert it to be safely played on eu
servers...i know there are like 2-3 things taht need to be changed, but
i am not 100% sure to what...so realmlist.wtf has to be changed to logon
to EU server and also interface.mpq wow.ini file to set correct region i
guess...is there a guide or something cause i dont wanna mess up stuff
and not be able to play :) tnx
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:56:38 +0200, RzR wrote:

    > how do i convert it to be safely played on eu
    > servers...i know there are like 2-3 things taht need to be changed, but
    > i am not 100% sure to what...

    When I tested this, I only had to change the realmlist.wtf file, and
    everything worked fine for me:

    set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

    If there are other things that need to be changed, I don't know of them. I
    had no problem using my EU characters with the US retail version after
    making this one change.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:56:38 +0200, RzR wrote:
    >
    >> how do i convert it to be safely played on eu
    >> servers...i know there are like 2-3 things taht need to be changed,
    >> but i am not 100% sure to what...
    >
    > When I tested this, I only had to change the realmlist.wtf file, and
    > everything worked fine for me:
    >
    > set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
    >
    > If there are other things that need to be changed, I don't know of
    > them. I had no problem using my EU characters with the US retail
    > version after making this one change.
    >
    > M.

    But it does require a US CD-key to make this work, right?

    Devast8or

    Devast8or wrote:
    > Michael Vondung wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:56:38 +0200, RzR wrote:
    >>

    >>>how do i convert it to be safely played on eu
    >>>servers...i know there are like 2-3 things taht need to be changed,
    >>>but i am not 100% sure to what...
    >>
    >>When I tested this, I only had to change the realmlist.wtf file, and
    >>everything worked fine for me:
    >>
    >>set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
    >>
    >>If there are other things that need to be changed, I don't know of
    >>them. I had no problem using my EU characters with the US retail
    >>version after making this one change.
    >>
    >>M.
    >

    > But it does require a US CD-key to make this work, right?

    u mean EU key right?

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:56:38 +0200, RzR wrote:
    >

    >>how do i convert it to be safely played on eu
    >>servers...i know there are like 2-3 things taht need to be changed, but
    >>i am not 100% sure to what...
    >

    > When I tested this, I only had to change the realmlist.wtf file, and
    > everything worked fine for me:
    >
    > set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
    >
    > If there are other things that need to be changed, I don't know of them. I
    > had no problem using my EU characters with the US retail version after
    > making this one change.

    u have used EU cdkey to do this right?

    so u had no problems from blizzard for this?

    thanks for replying

    RzR wrote:

    >>> If there are other things that need to be changed, I don't know of
    >>> them. I had no problem using my EU characters with the US retail
    >>> version after making this one change.
    >>>
    >>> M.
    >>

    >> But it does require a US CD-key to make this work, right?
    >>

    > u mean EU key right?

    Well, yeah in your case. In Michael Vondung's case (and my own) it would be
    the other way around since weøre in Europe.

    What I meant was to ask if I'm right in assuming that you need a key from
    the other side of the pond if you want to play on the side of the pond? Or
    if I could just make this change in my EU version and play on US servers
    without having to buy a US version of the game?

    Devast8or

CD-Rom Servers Video Games