Need some card advice

lethalck

Honorable
May 20, 2012
hi,

i have been reading some reviews on video cards in reference to diablo 3 and compatibility. im am mostly concerned with running this game optimally, other games i will consider running are Team Fortress2, Counter Strike Source / GO when it comes out and possibly Super MNC

Im more or less torn between 2 options nvidia or amd

i want to max out my game play while keeping a decent budget and not putting stress on the card or my power supply and i wont upgrade again for a very long time

this is my computer exactly i haven't changed any factory settings:

HP Pavilion M9402F (FQ512AA) Desktop PC Phenom X4 9650(2.3GHz) 7GB DDR2 640GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6883107853

i might add im using my 37" LCD TV as a monitor i hope this doesn't bring up resolution issues

some of my conclusions as far as choices are:
Radeon HD 7750
Radeon HD 6790
NVIDIA 550

Im also reading that the nvdia gets great reviews on performance and the drivers are a breeze
but the amds seem to take the cake as far as performance

which do you think out weighs the rest and please feel free to suggest some other cards i havent named, im not looking to go higher than 150 although i will consider paying a little extra for performance

hope someone can shed some light

Solution
I think the 6790 is the fastest of the bunch by a tiny bit. The 7750 is a newer gen though, and I think the driver compatibility and the probable reduced heat for the performance might be worth it.

The TV might change things, is it a 720p or 1080p tv? All 3 of these cards should play D3 on maximum settings if it's 720p, and I think they'll do okay on 1080p but I don't know that for sure.

The link you posted doesn't work, so I don't know what PSU you have but I think more likely than not it can handle a 7750.

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I think the 6790 is the fastest of the bunch by a tiny bit. The 7750 is a newer gen though, and I think the driver compatibility and the probable reduced heat for the performance might be worth it.

The TV might change things, is it a 720p or 1080p tv? All 3 of these cards should play D3 on maximum settings if it's 720p, and I think they'll do okay on 1080p but I don't know that for sure.

The link you posted doesn't work, so I don't know what PSU you have but I think more likely than not it can handle a 7750.

Solution

lethalck

Honorable
May 20, 2012
also if upgrading to one of these newer cards would i have to go changing my power supply as well? im looking into the 7750 and its not telling me power requirements. also im a bit confused about the GB on each card the one im looking at has 1GB will this effect my performance at all?