Sign in with
Your question

Can graphics card damage mobo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 20, 2012 5:32:11 PM

i have nvidia 8400 gs...i had a problem couple of months ago that my pc doesnt boot sometimes....fan runs but nothing displays....no log on sound...when i remove the ram and puts it again...it runs...i took it to where i bought it(local comp shop)....they told mobo is weak...they replace it with new one....but same model(intel dg31pr)...after installing everything..the same problem happened...he send that also and got a new one...he didnt put the graphics....he told the graphics may have short circuit....it is now running smoothly...but i'm not able to play latest games coz i dont have a graphics card...can i test the same graphics once again...or will it damage the mobo again...i have a 400W mercury psu with 2 12V rail with 13A and 14A in each...is this psu good for 8400 gs...is the psu the problem....
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2012 7:32:23 PM

Get a new GPU and try again; if it was the GPU you don't want to screw up a new motherboard.

IMO sounds more like a RAM issue if it boots sometimes and not other times.

If it is running fine now; then i think you should just get a new GPU.
May 21, 2012 4:05:40 AM

bobusboy said:
Get a new GPU and try again; if it was the GPU you don't want to screw up a new motherboard.

IMO sounds more like a RAM issue if it boots sometimes and not other times.

If it is running fine now; then i think you should just get a new GPU.

do you think that graphics card made the problem...can graphics cards damage a mobo....
Related resources
May 21, 2012 4:36:20 AM

is my psu enough for 8400 gs....
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 1:12:26 PM

I think it is possible the if incorrectly installed that you could short circuit the mother board.

That said the computer never would have booted to begin with. So I believe that if some times it was working and some times it wasn't. There was either an issue with your GPU or the RAM.

If it's working perfectly now with out the GPU in it then it was an issue with the GPU not the motherboard or RAM.

yes a 400 watt should be more than enough for a 8400s
!