WindowsXP Built-in Zip Program Problems

jw

I received a zip file from a software manufacture. It has a total of 15
files in it. When you open or extract the files using the WindowsXP
Built-in Zip Program, it only shows 14 files in the folder window and will
unzip only 14 files.

When using a third-party zip program such as WinZip or PowerArchiver both
shows all 15 files in the folder window and will unzip all 15 files.

The file name is "M5 Pages, Components and Help.msi" which is unusual in
that it has a comma in it.

Why will the WindowsXP Built-in Zip Program not see this file? Is there any
way to correct this problem other than to buy a third-party zip program?

Thanks

JW

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uhfwv7TMFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
jw <jw@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> I received a zip file from a software manufacture. It has a total of
> 15 files in it. When you open or extract the files using the
> WindowsXP Built-in Zip Program, it only shows 14 files in the folder
> window and will unzip only 14 files.
>

> When using a third-party zip program such as WinZip or PowerArchiver
> both shows all 15 files in the folder window and will unzip all 15
> files.
>

> The file name is "M5 Pages, Components and Help.msi" which is unusual
> in that it has a comma in it.
>

> Why will the WindowsXP Built-in Zip Program not see this file? Is
> there any way to correct this problem other than to buy a third-party
> zip program?
>

> Thanks
>
> JW

There is no need to buy one.

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/downloader/fwzip.html

I hear good things about 7-Zip. There's a lot of them for free right there.

Galen