Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A10 5800k heat problems, other questions

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 24, 2012 5:12:34 AM

My a10 seems to be overheating and throttling itself at stock speeds. Is this abnormal?

HWmonitor reads a max of 79C under load, and a min of 45C, with basic web browsing at mid 50's

This seems crazy high. I had a spare generic copper base/heatpipe cooler, threw it in and got same temps with silver compound paste.

My second question pertains to bios settings. Is there anything I need to change in the BIOS other than memory profiles out of the box for a trinity set up? My MSI board has all this graphical crap and is an extreme pain to navigate. I'm worried that I missed a selection for the radeon "on board" graphics or an option that assigns memory to the video.

Thirdly, should my cores be reading 4Ghz across the board at idle? I thought it down-clocked if not in demand?

I'm kind of disappointed that this setup is choking on basic games, and wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

I appreciate your time and any help would be appreciated!

----

Edit: I wanted to add that I just ran 3dmark11, and the scores seem very low end comparatively.

P1597
Graphics - 1460
Phys - 3953
Combined - 1348

With a peak temp of 82C during the test (YOW!)

I think something is wrong.
a c 140 à CPUs
November 24, 2012 5:20:40 AM

helfrichi said:
My a10 seems to be overheating and throttling itself at stock speeds. Is this abnormal?

HWmonitor reads a max of 79C under load, and a min of 45C, with basic web browsing at mid 50's

This seems crazy high. I had a spare generic copper base/heatpipe cooler, threw it in and got same temps with silver compound paste.

My second question pertains to bios settings. Is there anything I need to change in the BIOS other than memory profiles out of the box for a trinity set up? My MSI board has all this graphical crap and is an extreme pain to navigate. I'm worried that I missed a selection for the radeon "on board" graphics or an option that assigns memory to the video.

Thirdly, should my cores be reading 4Ghz across the board at idle? I thought it down-clocked if not in demand?

I'm kind of disappointed that this setup is choking on basic games, and wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

I appreciate your time and any help would be appreciated!

Thats kind of hot, are you using the stock cooler or aftermarket cooler?
November 24, 2012 5:26:59 AM

rds1220 said:
Thats kind of hot, are you using the stock cooler or aftermarket cooler?

Right now Im using a Deep Cool cpu cooler with copper heatpipes. It's not the best but I figured it would be better than the stock one.
Related resources
a c 140 à CPUs
November 24, 2012 5:41:47 AM

I would make sure the heatsink is on right and re-apply thermal paste, you might have used to much or to little.
November 24, 2012 3:50:18 PM

Here's what i've discovered.

I originally used an intel overclock profile in the bios to get my ram at 1866mhz. This was a bad idea. I reset the defaults, and manually set the frequency through another option. The memory overclock profile was causing my turbo core to stick on max clock all the time.

Ran a benchmark and hit 82C again, but lower idle temps.

now im thinking I need a competent cooler, so i bought the hyper 212 on amazon prime. In the meantime, I turned turbo core max down to 3.8 Ghz, and my idle temp is sitting at 32C-34C.

Think this is right?

Best solution

a c 140 à CPUs
November 24, 2012 4:05:59 PM

Yes that seems fine for now. See if the new cooler does anything. Also when you apply thermal paste you only need a small amount, a small dod 5-5.5 mm's in size (about the size of a pea) will be fine.
November 24, 2012 7:47:29 PM

Best answer selected by helfrichi.
!