Gaming build

pippip2469

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hello, I'm trying to get a cheeper gaming computer, so I don't want anything too fancy. I was planning on buying a dell inspiron 660 with an i-3 processor (3.3GHz) and 6 gb of ram. It comes with Intel integrated graphics, so I was just going to buy a video card and install it myself. The computer only has a 300w power supply, and I was told that most mid to upper level video cards would require at least 400w or more, which means I would need to upgrade the power supply. Also, I'm not sure what PCI ports on the video cards are compatible with my PCI ports. The computer comes with a VGA, HDMI, PCIe x16 Full Height Card, and PCIe x1 ports. The cards I'm looking at are the GeForce GTX 550 Ti (with PCI Express 2.0 port), XFX ATI Radeon HD6770 (with PCI-Express 2.1 x16), and H667F1GD Radeon HD 6670 (with PCI Express 2.1 x16). I'm totally lost on what to do for the power supply. I found some on Newegg for like 15 bucks, but that seems really cheep. How much would a reliable power supply cost? If you could post some ideas/links to some that would be great. So basically, what power supply and video card should I get? Or am I just going down the wrong road, and look at something else entirely? Thanks for the help.

pippip2469

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I'm not all that familiar with computer hardware, and wouldn't really be comfortable building from the ground up. I would rather get a pre-built and just replace a few things.