My new wireless extender antenna doens't work, PLEASE HELP :((

salam2009

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hey guys,
So yesterday I got 3 pieces of TP-Link wireless extender antennas (TL-ANT2415D) & their Extension Cables (TL-ANT24EC6N) & Pigtail Cables (TL-ANT24PT).
Anyway, I connected them as described here back to my TP-Link WLAN Router (TL-WR941ND) but I got no signal outdoor & weak one indoor even weaker than the standard antennas (3dBi)!!
Now, my questions are:
1) Did I miss something cause believe me I checked everything with no luck at all.
2) Which ports should I open on my router in general & where to put them (in virtual servers or port triggering)?
FYI, my TP-Link router has the latest firmware available yet
Thanks alot for the help
Salaam

khizerishtiaq

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello..

I just bought outdoor antenna tl-ant2415d and router-tl wr941nd... but since i am new to this wifi system... can you tell me how to link the two...i have tl-ant24ec6n cable too...

I also have an access point... how do i link the access point to router..

i'll be waiting for your reply...
thanks in advance...

Khizer

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
i cant see the links you posted and i to lazy to google them. my first thoght is that the router is not transmitting enough power to make use of the antennas. some single booster is required, a powered one.

salam2009

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

The router is at it's maximum power. I tried to connect one antenna & the signal went even worse!!
I tried everything with no luck at all. I think I've paid $500 for nothing :(
Thanks anyway

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
what did you spent 500 on? the router, antena, and cable are only 115 bucks together.

what access point do you have?
keep in mind that when you boost any signal you are amplifying interference as well as the signal. The cable should plug into one of the antenna ports, some routers will have a dedicated port for such an antenna so i would check the manual to see if this one does. make sure you are transmitting N not G. that antenna is a 15db boost, thats a hell of a lot of power to push out for a router that is only rated at 20db. the stock antenna are only meant for 3db. it might be required to buy an amp to boost the signal however with omni antennas i have rarely seen a good signal boost. normally the signal strength drops as the noise is amplified so high it causes interference. i have only had good luck amping wifi with dishes. im not sure what is around for residential amps, the ones i use to use were about 250.00 or so but i think you can get a bit lower end brands for around 120. might be something to look into.

salam2009

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

It's the price for 3 pieces of (antennas,extension cables,pigtail cables with the shipping rates outside usa) 3/pcs instead of 1 for more boosting, right?! (I tried 1 piece with the same result!!)
I use NanoStation5 to receive ISP signal which the router handles eventually.
I'm transmitting at N with router's max power!!
Is there any possible way to make it works?!
Thanks alot buddy :)