Intel HD Graphics 4000 or Radeon HD 7660g

Okay, I got these two laptops for christmas, both are HP Envy 15.6", but here's the thing...

One of them has Intel Core i5-3210m 2.5GHz-3.1GHz with 8GB DDR3 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000, and the other one
has AMD A10-4600m 2.3GHz-3.2GHz with 6GB DDR3 SDRAM and Radeon HD 7660g Discrete-Class Graphics

I want it for medium settings gaming to play like Crysis or Call of Duty MW3 or Blackops 2, games like those...

I cant spend more than 500 bucks on the lap, and the one with i5 costs exactly 500 bucks, and the one with AMD costs 600 bucks.

Do you have any recommendations on any other laptops or between these two?
13 answers Last reply
More about intel graphics 4000 radeon 7660g
  1. The i5 will beat the A10 in cpu power, while the 7660g will beat the HD4000 in gpu power.

    I would go for the A10 and see how it goes.
  2. I just got the Envy with the AMD processor. The 7660g is much better then the HD4000, which is why I got it. Check out http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7660G.69830.0.html for more information on the 7660g.For Black Ops 2 you should be able to do 61fps on low and 42fps on med. Just a quick note that is with 4gb of ram you will have 6gb and you can always add more so it will run BO2 or any other game much better. THat site also shows the performance of the 7660g on other games.
  3. yes the 7660g is miles better than the HD4000 so the get the well balanced AMD laptop.
  4. If games are important then go with the AMD laptop.
  5. jaguarskx said:
    If games are important then go with the AMD laptop.


    Sooo... you are basically telling me that RAM doesn't improve my fps such as the graphics card does?
  6. Games generally do not use more than 1.1GB - 1.4GB of RAM based on games like the Crysis series, Mass Effect series, Fallout series, and GTA 4. Unless of course the game has a memory leak issue. The 1st Crysis had a graphic memory leak issue.

    4GB of RAM is all that is necessary for the average user. If you work with large images in programs like PhotoShop and I believe 3D rendering software, then more RAM the better.

    Both Intel HD 4000 and the integrated Radeon HD 7660g suck compared to desktop graphic cards, but we're talking laptops here. The Intel HD 4000 is basically equivalent to a desktop Radeon HD 5550 while the Radeon HD 7660g is about the same as a Radeon HD 5570. In the desktop world both are considered merely media cards good enough for watching movies and simple flash games.
  7. Get the 7660g it will be better in gaming /thread
  8. If the graphics is the only thing that matters then get the 7660g it is much, MUCH better than intel HD 4000 from personal experience.
  9. GiancarloGianola said:
    Okay, I got these two laptops for christmas, both are HP Envy 15.6", but here's the thing...

    One of them has Intel Core i5-3210m 2.5GHz-3.1GHz with 8GB DDR3 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000, and the other one
    has AMD A10-4600m 2.3GHz-3.2GHz with 6GB DDR3 SDRAM and Radeon HD 7660g Discrete-Class Graphics

    I want it for medium settings gaming to play like Crysis or Call of Duty MW3 or Blackops 2, games like those...

    I cant spend more than 500 bucks on the lap, and the one with i5 costs exactly 500 bucks, and the one with AMD costs 600 bucks.

    Do you have any recommendations on any other laptops or between these two?



    Which computer did you end up going with? I am looking at the same exact ones. Only difference is that it will be used mostly for photo editing. My gut says to go with the Intel with more RAM. Thoughts?
  10. Well thanks for your suggestion but I decided not to buy a PC anyways lol, too much pressure, I decided to keep my actual PC and buy a Samsung Galaxy S3
  11. GiancarloGianola said:
    jaguarskx said:
    If games are important then go with the AMD laptop.


    Sooo... you are basically telling me that RAM doesn't improve my fps such as the graphics card does?



    RAM is useful until you have no need for more, at which point more RAM is superfluous. As jaguarskx pointed out, most games do not need more RAM than 4 GB. The only reason many people say 8 GB for gaming rigs, is so that if you're multitasking, you have enough RAM that your game doesn't have to use a pagefile.
  12. I'd say smth different. HD 7660g (384 shadder pp) vs intel HD 4000 (12 shadder pp): here's the fact. Go for 7660g for gaming and a better performance in gpu.
  13. 8350rocks said:
    GiancarloGianola said:
    jaguarskx said:
    If games are important then go with the AMD laptop.


    Sooo... you are basically telling me that RAM doesn't improve my fps such as the graphics card does?



    RAM is useful until you have no need for more, at which point more RAM is superfluous. As jaguarskx pointed out, most games do not need more RAM than 4 GB. The only reason many people say 8 GB for gaming rigs, is so that if you're multitasking, you have enough RAM that your game doesn't have to use a pagefile.


    I have 8gb and still have to have a pagefile. :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel HD Graphics