Making Printer Wireless using 2nd Router???

bokerjoker

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hello,

I hope someone may be of assistance. I have 2 main questions.

First of all, I have AT&T U-verse connected with the 2Wire wireless router/modem in my bedroom. I have my HP Photosmart C4280 All-in-one printer connected via USB to my older SMC Barricade Wireless Router in the living room.

The SMC Barricade router is not hooked up on my network yet. My goals are two-fold right now. I am trying to be able to print wirelessly from anywhere in my apt using either my MacBookPro (early 2008), iPad2, and/or iPhone 4. How do I add the second router (SMC Barricade) on my network so the printer can be recognized? I see an IP address for the printer but it is not working... Please help. My second goal is hooking an external harddrive to the SMC router...

Thanks in advance.

is the IP of the SMC of the same IP scheme than that of the 2wire?

if you connect the Mac to the SMC via network cable and make sure you are not connected to the 2wire, can you print?

If YES, the only thing that you might be able to do is connect the SMC as a AP (Access Point) via a network cable to the 2wire.

bokerjoker

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for the prompt reply. The answer is yes to both q's...But the problem is that the routers are in separate rooms. The purpose of doing it this way is I only have room for the printer in the main room where the SMC is.

Any other ideas??