Video card for new build

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Hey guys I've got a few questions for you. I'm thinking of three different options at the moment.

The first is this bundle from tigerdirect:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2628606&sku=B69-1417&SRCCODE=WEM3114TT&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3114-_-tigeremail3114&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3114

The second is this kit which I would pair with a gtx 480: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580503&SRCCODE=BIZRATE&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB5ObkkzCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=33-44267414-2

I think the 480 will out perform the 2GB gtx 560ti since I'm only using a single monitor at 1920x1080. What do you guys think? Also what do you guys think of the components offered in each bundle/kit? Is the 600w diablotek in the second kit capable of powering the GTX 480?

My third option which I was hoping to buy but exceeds my $800 budget is this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8Zcv

Which do you think is my best option?

Solution
Today, the 2500K is just as good for gaming as the 3570K
You would not notice any difference. The $75 spent on a graphics card would improve your gaming more.

In two years or so, Intel will launch a new architecture, and possibly 14nm construction.
It will require a new motherboard and chipset.
If you wait, you will wait forever.

As to planning for sli, I think it is a mistake for most.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking...
Your first and third links do not work for me.

On the second kit, It looks like they have included a cheap diablotek psu.

I really think I would price out the kits and see if you really are saving substantially compared to shopping individually for parts.
If you are near a microcenter, they will sell you a 3570K for $190, and an adequate motherboard for $60. Check it out.

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
It just seems like I won't utilize the 2GB VRAM of the 560ti and it seems overpriced for what you get... And the 480 is nice but I'm hesitant because of the heat and power consumption.. I will only buy nVidia though, what do you guys recommend?

I would not worry about the amount of Vram; it will be sufficient regardless.

If you can find one, look for a GTX670 if a $400 budget is not a problem. The 28nm construction makes it run cooler and quieter. It is possibly overkill for a single monitor, but I never regretted paying more for the best. I have often regretted paying less and getting less.

Otherwise, I would stick to the more modern GTX5xx series.

If gaming is your objective, spend more on the graphics card than the cpu.
Read this Tom's article on sub $200 gaming cpu's.
Note that the tests used a 7970 to eliminate the limitation of the graphics card.
The net is that the i3-2120 dual core held it's own against the 2500K and most amd chips.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-2.html

If you saved $100 on the cost of the cpu, and added it to the budget for the graphics card, you would have a better gaming experience. That added $100 gets you from a GTX560ti to a 7870 class card.

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I could drop down to i5-2500k and z68 board (they are compatible, right?) that would save me like $75 and would bring me back to my budget. Is z68 not as future proof as the z77?

Maybe then I can go a little over budget and get a better Gpu...hmm

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I heard it was best not to get the 448 since it may be a limited run card and may be harder to get down the road...then again I don't know if ill ever SLI. Is zotac a decent brand? Hows the reliability? Customer service? I've never had any experience with them and haven't anything about them either.

In the coming years EVERYTHING will be obsolete.
Perhaps not so much with cases, power supplies and monitors.

The 2120 has hyperthreading which will give you the appearance of 4 threads. Not as good as 4 full cores, but better than two. Game developers want the largest possible audience for their games. They have no incentive to produce games that will only run on high end hardware. Also, coding to handle many threads is considerably harder than coding for two. Developers will not eagerly do that if they do not need to. That is why most games use only one or two threads.
I will grant that there are some which can use more.

If your budget for a cpu is $240 or so, then the 3570K is as good as it gets.
It is not my choice to make; I only am suggesting an alternative option for your budget.

Today, the 2500K is just as good for gaming as the 3570K
You would not notice any difference. The $75 spent on a graphics card would improve your gaming more.

In two years or so, Intel will launch a new architecture, and possibly 14nm construction.
It will require a new motherboard and chipset.
If you wait, you will wait forever.

As to planning for sli, I think it is a mistake for most.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.

Solution

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Ok I've changed my parts picker list from 3570k to 2500k. What is a good z68 board to go with the 2500k, obviously the cheapest is most preferable, as long as I don't sacrifice reliability or performance. Also is a z77 board necessary for Ivy bridge? Thanks for the help so far guys I appreciate it :)

You need to provide links to the specific cards.

In general, they are all the same. But..

Some have different coolers. I prefer the dual slot direct exhaust coolers that send the heat directly out the back of the case.

Some will come with various levels of factory overclocks.

Some may come with more Vram. To my mind, extra Vram is mostly marketing.

Some will have different warranties.