Sign in with
Your question

Pre built OC'd bundle or Self Built

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2012 9:47:49 PM

Hi,
This is my first time actually posting on Toms hardware although ive been around here for a while (so apologies if this is in the wrong section)

Basically im stuck as to what to do for my next purchase. i could go ahead and buy a Pre-built overclocked mobo/ram/cpu/aftermarket cooler like the following with the following components

CPU+Cooler : i5 3570k (overclocked to 4.5ghz) + Arctic cooling freezer 13

MOBO: MSI Z77A-G45

Ram: 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600
for £359 (inc Vat)

now what im stuck with is, is it worth paying (works out roughly) around £50ish for the overclock and be reassured its tested and safe or should i build the pieces myself and spend an extra £50 on a better mobo (or something else, if so which mobo would you recommend) and do the overclock myself, bearing in mind ive never overclocked a cpu before and have only ever done minor overclocks to a gpu in the past so i would appreciate if you could tell me how close i could get to 4.5ghz and how simple/difficult it would be.
Thanks in advance.

More about : pre built bundle built

July 13, 2012 9:56:46 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
July 14, 2012 12:21:25 AM

Mousemonkey said:
This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey

oops. sorry, thanks for moving it to the right place.
Related resources
July 14, 2012 3:52:11 AM

"be reassured its tested and safe " tested yes, safe no. Running a CPU OC (or at high temps) eats into its lifetime. The tested part means its working. You need to find out what voltage and frequency they are pushing and google to see if it's in the range considered safe for your CPU.

If you get a pre-OC'ed system make sure you also get the non-OC setttings so you can choose to revert. Some OC'ed systems turn off turbo mode, speed step etc which means you pretty much run full frequency all the time with resultsing fan noise and power consumption. Make sure that the PC still has power saving mode active with the OC. (Ocerclocking not bad, I OC my video when gaming, but I revert it when not needed. CPU OC will give you benefits.)

worth browsing a few threads reading volts and temps. e.g. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708...
July 14, 2012 7:57:33 AM

tsnor said:
"be reassured its tested and safe " tested yes, safe no. Running a CPU OC (or at high temps) eats into its lifetime. The tested part means its working. You need to find out what voltage and frequency they are pushing and google to see if it's in the range considered safe for your CPU.

If you get a pre-OC'ed system make sure you also get the non-OC setttings so you can choose to revert. Some OC'ed systems turn off turbo mode, speed step etc which means you pretty much run full frequency all the time with resultsing fan noise and power consumption. Make sure that the PC still has power saving mode active with the OC. (Ocerclocking not bad, I OC my video when gaming, but I revert it when not needed. CPU OC will give you benefits.)

worth browsing a few threads reading volts and temps. e.g. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708...

Alright thanks, ill take a look at that.
!