Sign in with
Your question

Will my systems give me the full power of these two GPUs?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 12:02:18 AM

Over the last year or so I've been buying parts for two different computers, primarily based around the processors they had in them at the time. Both computers were AMD and I figured I'd just upgrade the motherboards and other components while keeping the processor, so if I ever needed to upgrade the processor, I could. Now, I'm looking to buy two new graphics cards for the machines. I don't want to bottle-neck my machines but I also don't want to buy a card FOR the computer, provided the bottleneck isn't going to completely cripple my experience. In other words, I'd rather have more than enough GPU than not enough for a future CPU upgrade or something.

Computer 1 (Mine) -
Mobo: Asus M5A99X Evo
CPU: Phenom II X4 970 BE (4.0Ghz)
Ram: 8GB Crucial Somethingoranother DDR3 1333
HDD: 1TB Hitachi
PSU: 750W
GPU: Radeon HD 7950 OC (Thinking Sapphire's make)
Games: BF3, Grand Theft Auto 4, MW2, Sim City, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Guild Wars 2

Computer 2 (Wife) -
Mobo: Asus M5A97 EVO
CPU: Phenom II X4 820 (2.8Ghz)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
HDD: 1TB Hitachi
PSU: 650W
GPU: Radeon HD 7850 (Asus' make)
Games: Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft

Will those two configurations perform well enough for the games listed for each? If not, what type of experience will I have... lots of stuttering, shutting down, artifacting, etc. Also, what will need to be changed in each system?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

More about : systems give full power gpus

May 21, 2012 12:13:21 AM

They should be fine depending on what PSU you both are using. You have enough wattage but if its a cheap PSU it may not supply stated wattage.
m
l
May 21, 2012 12:59:30 PM

Thanks vrumor - Both of the PSUs are modular OCZ ZTs. I'm not sure how to tell if the PSUs, without any additional OCing, would fare with the the video card. Is there a way (via software or something) to tell if the PSU is providing enough power?
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 1:03:40 PM

What sort of monitors do you use? More specifically, what resolution and refresh rate?

Low resolutions means the GPU's are bottleneced by the CPU, high resolutions means they aren't.

Actually, the be more accurate, low resolutions means it'll bottleneck more often. All systems get bottlenecked occasionally, depending on the game.
m
l
May 21, 2012 1:05:08 PM

Both monitors are 23" somethings, with resolution set to 1920×1080 with 60Mhz refresh.

Edit: They're made by HP and I'm not sure if they support higher resolutions. We purchased them a few years back and the only distinguishing features of the monitor is a clear trim that goes around the edge, and a clear power button (that glows blue, when on) -- which sits on the top of the monitor, on the right corner.

At this refresh and resolution, do you think I'll experience any problems?
m
l
May 22, 2012 1:33:02 AM

OCZ is not known for selling quality PSUs. If ever in doubt or if you want to do research, www.jonnyguru.com. Reviews hundreds of PSUs and hes good.
m
l
!