Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Desktop 'sometimes' turns on

Last response: in Components
November 24, 2012 10:38:55 AM

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a strange problem with my desktop. About 60% of the time when it either goes to sleep or shut's down, it won't boot up again until I've unplugged it from the wall and left it for about a minute or so. The mother board lights are always on whenever the PSU has power but sometimes neither the main power switch or the onboard power button respond.

I've done a little research on this and it's likely to be either the PSU or motherboard but I haven't seen someone else have exactly the same problem as me. Before I dole out any cash, does anyone have any idea if it there is any strong evidence it is either the PSU or motherboard?

My specs are:

ASUS M4A79t Deluxe
Phenom II 955 Black
8gig DDR3 RAM
ATI 4890
1000W (unknown brand) PSU
3, 1.5TB 7200RPM HDs

Thanks!

More about : desktop turns

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2012 10:54:05 AM

Well you could try updating the bios, I had a similar issue on another build where the computer was unresponsive during sleep and it went away with the latest bios update.
November 24, 2012 5:16:56 PM

Just flashed the BIOS and it's not fixed anything unfortunately. =(
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2012 6:16:41 PM

Well try updating the video driver and see if that does anything.
Also try removing the video card (power off the computer first and then take it out) and put it to sleep and see if it wakes up.

With that done and if the video card is not at fault then it removes it out of the problem. Your motherboard does not seem to be the problem as well since you did update it. If all else fails then I would go with the power supply for the blame.

Also read this:
http://tips4pc.com/computer-repair/computer_will_not_wa...
November 24, 2012 9:32:14 PM

When did this start happening ? Any software updates or hardware upgrades prior to the issue ?

The issue could be the power button on the case. Do you hear any clicks when you press it ? Turn it off, disconnect the power and then try pressing the power button to see if you hear any clicks or feel anything weird.
November 24, 2012 10:15:51 PM

Nedal0 said:
When did this start happening ? Any software updates or hardware upgrades prior to the issue ?

The issue could be the power button on the case. Do you hear any clicks when you press it ? Turn it off, disconnect the power and then try pressing the power button to see if you hear any clicks or feel anything weird.

It started happening about a month ago and since then I've given my PC a completely fresh install of Windows.

The motherboard had it's own set of on/off/reset buttons on the board and these also don't respond when the main power button doesn't respond. I haven't tried 'jump' starting the mobo yet however annoyingly, my PC hasn't suffered from the original problem today so I haven't had a chance to trouble-shoot!
November 24, 2012 10:31:51 PM

It is definitely a hardware issue. Most probably PSU on its way out and sending spikes to the motherboard. It might end up destroying your board if it indeed the PSU.

Do you best to have a look at it sooner even if it means using a lesser watt PSU to test
November 24, 2012 10:36:14 PM

Nedal0 said:
It is definitely a hardware issue. Most probably PSU on its way out and sending spikes to the motherboard. It might end up destroying your board if it indeed the PSU.

Do you best to have a look at it sooner even if it means using a lesser watt PSU to test

Ack, well I've got a new PSU on the way now. The only other PSU is about 6 years old and I can't remember why I took it out (or why I still have it!). Unfortunately I won't see the new one until Monday but once I get it I'll post the results. I never like leaving a thread like this open.

Thanks for the help =)
November 24, 2012 10:46:34 PM

Always welcome and good luck !
November 29, 2012 5:55:09 PM

Apologies for the slight bump, but I have confirmed that it was the PSU causing the issues. Thanks for the help all =)
!