Reinstall original OS and software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I have a Dell Inspiron One 2305 model. Is the "Drivers and Utilities" CD that came with the computer the disc I would use to reinstall the OS and original software that was bundled with the computer when new...Thanks..

Anthony

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
No, I haven't reformatted, but would like to wipe everything clean as there's a virus on the Dell that we can't seem to get off. Even a computer tech we went to couldn't get it rid of it.

All the data was backed up prior to the virus thankfully, so I'm not concerned about losing data, but the computer is totally unusable right now....So, I would like to reinstall the the OS and start clean..Thanks.

incantus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
if you bought the laptop first hand from dell you should have 2 cd's at least with it - 1 is usually red and has microsoft at the top and says intellipoint/drivers/utilities or something to that degree to make all your laptop specific parts work...function keys and mouse pad etc. the second should be your OS and have windows operating system on it. just put in the disk and reboot, it should be self explanatory. if you only have the OS then your drivers should be here

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/dd_segmenter?c=uk&l=en&s=gen

good luck

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Thanks.

The only two Disc that came with this All In One model Dell, purchased new last March, are "Drivers and Utilities" and one labeled "Application'"...which says for installing Dell TouchCam Software...I can give the "Application" CD a try when I get home if you think that will have the OS...

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello...

I received the OS disc from Dell yesterday...There's no instructions, just the Disc....Do I need to install the original OS in safe-mode to avoid the virus I have on my HD...Or are there any steps I take first to wipe the HD clean of all data, then install the OS (windows 7) on the blank Hard drive. I;'m not sure how to proceed..Thanks...

Anthony.....

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Thanks.

Quick question: Does booting from the CD drive and reinstalling the OS from Dell's CD automatically wipe the Hard Drive Clean of all data.....which is what I want to do (wiping all data off the drive and starting fresh is my objective)...Thanks..

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I did reinstall windows 7 using the CD that Dell sent me and windows seems to be running just fine. However, I can no longer get online using IE. Is this because I haven't installed drivers from the Dell drivers CD or perhaps some other reason......We have Fios, so hopefully I do not need to download drivers from Verizon to use their router, because I can't get online to do so....Thanks...

Anthony

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello,

Yes, I now got it working and running great w/internet.....Thanks to all who have helped. The only thing I lost after reinsatalling the OS from DEll's CD was the free limited version of MS Word that originally came with the computer. Other then that, the computer is back to its old self.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.