Sign in with
Your question

Compatibility for mostly gaming machine

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2012 12:24:37 AM

Hey guys, about to pull the trigger soon for the rest of the parts for the computer I'm building. Just wanna double check and make sure everything will work alright in theory before I find out I did something wrong.

1 Processor:
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125 W, 8 Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 Motherboard:
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3 AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
3 Computer Case:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
4 Ram:
No specific Ram in mind, looking for deals when the rest is taken care of.
5 Graphics Card:
Saphire Radeon HD 6970
6 1.5 TB Hard drive
7 Using previous Optical drives from old computer.
8 Power Supply:
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

The Processor and the Graphics card are two things on the list that can't be changed. I already have those, found them for a price I couldn't walk away from so that's that. Anything look out of line?

Side note, I am a bit concerned about the phsyical size of my Graphics card being able to fit inside my new case. Still being new at this and all, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Advice?
July 20, 2012 1:32:42 AM

One question...what are you gonna be using this build for? List from most important to least important...
July 20, 2012 1:57:05 AM

too bad you got a fx chip. they suck in games. if you got it for the price of a i3 2120, then id say its a good buy

for the GPU, id get a gtx670 or a 7850 if you are on a budget
Related resources
July 20, 2012 2:09:34 AM

TheBigTroll said:
too bad you got a fx chip. they suck in games. if you got it for the price of a i3 2120, then id say its a good buy

for the GPU, id get a gtx670 or a 7850 if you are on a budget

Yeah, for the price he paid for the 6970 he probably could have got a 7950. Also, FX processors are something for budget workstations. For a gaming build he should have went with a quad core. oh well.
July 23, 2012 11:23:33 PM

Well I got my graphics card for about 180 from a friend and the processor pretty damn cheap too. Its important for my computer to be able to run 3D modeling programs, video editors, and all my multimedia needs. Gaming comes second to be honest but for once in my life I'd like a machine that actually gamed pretty damn well.

So yeah, Processor and Graphics card is here to stay. How's the rest looking? Compatible at least? Anything better you guys have in mind?
July 23, 2012 11:38:54 PM

for the power supply, id recommend at xfx xxx 750w psu. semi-modular and pretty cheap. selling at us.ncix.com for 104.99 after MIR

for the case, id just get a antec 302 since its cheap and has all the needed features

for the ram, id get some gskill ares 1600mhz 8gb 2x4gb kit. there is a orange kit and there is a blue kit. if you want a red system, get gskill ripjaw x instead
July 23, 2012 11:58:43 PM

I'm gonna recommend this PSU...

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M

They get great reviews, it's semi modular, 80+ bronze certified, and it's not that much more than the xfx PSU.

RAM...
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB

And that antec 900 would be a great case. Either that or this...
COOLER MASTER HAF 912
July 24, 2012 12:05:56 AM

i dont see the point of getting the corsair version when the xfx is made by the same company and is more efficent

the tx750m is barely modular. only the pci-e cables from what i know are detachable
July 24, 2012 12:11:58 AM

the xfx xxx 750w is the same thing as the pc and power cooling mk2 series. somebody opened it up and saw that the xfx unit uses the same pcb as the mk2 series. plus that the xfx unit has semi-modular cables

he definitly doesnt need 950w. 750w is more than enough
July 24, 2012 12:17:40 AM

How about let him decide? Perhaps he'll want to add upgrades in the future. Why not buy a beasty PSU now? You won't find a PSU like that for under $100 anywhere else for a while. If he gets it now, he won't have to worry about it later. Then he can focus on either getting a better GPU, or get another 6970 for crossfire.

Once you start adding upgrades to your computer, that "semi-modular" PSU is gonna be a waste of money. Those cables on the non modular power supply can be routed elsewhere until needed.
July 24, 2012 12:23:34 AM

be logical: he wont be tri-firing 6970s (i dont think he can anyways). 2 6970s at most will probably use 425w. a 950w will be a total waste and he isnt building very high end stuff anyways

modularity does help even if you tri-fire. no one really uses 8 sata plugs or use 8 molex plugs either
July 24, 2012 12:43:24 AM

I apparently have some options and some thinking to do with the power supply. In terms of case I'm leaning towards Deus's suggestions simply because the design itself sticks out a bit more. I'm willing to pay that extra bit of change for having a computer that at least compliments my room a bit more. RAM is something I don't see myself buying more then 8 gigs worth.

Is there anything else I should be looking into more such as fans and things of that nature or will my current products alone with the suggested items keep things relatively cool on there own?
July 24, 2012 12:48:09 AM

You might want to grab a couple more 120mm case fans. It's not needed, but it should help with air flow.

Not sure what size will fit on top though. I think it's a 200mm fan. You may want to grab a couple 200mm fans. I'd put 1 200mm fan as an intake in the front. Then place one on top as an exhaust. Then I'd put the other 120mm fans elsewhere if there's room. Not sure where all the fan mounts are in that case.
July 24, 2012 12:52:11 AM

750w is suited for 2 way crossfire or sli. 650w isnt very safe for crossfire given that it is older gen and that he is using a fx chip

950w doesnt make the psu better if you dont use up the wattage. its like me buying a 1000w psu from some cheapo brand and me buying another psu that is 500w and made by seasonic and saying the 1000w is better because it has more wattage
July 24, 2012 12:58:07 AM

TheBigTroll said:
750w is suited for 2 way crossfire or sli. 650w isnt very safe for crossfire given that it is older gen and that he is using a fx chip

950w doesnt make the psu better if you dont use up the wattage. its like me buying a 1000w psu from some cheapo brand and me buying another psu that is 500w and made by seasonic and saying the 1000w is better because it has more wattage

PC power and cooling PSUs are 80+ silver certified. You're blowing things way out of proportion. Horrible analogy.
July 24, 2012 1:40:00 AM

yes i know i blew up the porportion by a lot. it still gets my point of spending more better features rather than pay the same for less features but for more wattage

the xfx is a pc and power cooling mk2 but it has modular connectors making the extra bit worth it. not everyone has all the space in the world to hide the cables. espcially with a 750w or a 950w psu, there will be a pretty big bundle of cables. modularity minimizes that
July 24, 2012 1:57:52 AM

The HAF 912 is fairly roomy inside...
July 24, 2012 2:11:09 AM

the back doesnt have enough space to store all the cables. there will always be a lump in a drive cage and it doesnt look too great. spend the little extra for the modularity.
July 24, 2012 3:45:29 AM

I've made my decision gentlemen. Thank you for your time. I appreciate the counter opinions giving me more insight into what I was buying.
!