Sign in with
Your question

Question about disabling onboard graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 1:57:31 AM

Hey I recently installed a new video card and I am getting errors that say the amd driver stopped responding but then fully recovered, but other times it crashes completely. I am thinking of disabling the onboard graphics card and I read that you would have to do that through BIOS. I am kind of ignorant towards the process and looked up how to do it, and every time it says I should disable it BEFORE I install my new video card. I was wondering if it would be alright to disable it even after the new video card is installed?

Also, others recommend using DriverSweeper. Should I do both?
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 2:43:43 AM

It's either a Driver problem or Video card problem... When it comes to video card problem, it involve overheating and/or Core Clock isn't stable... What you could do is test another video card... You can disable the onboard by going into BIOS and I dont know the settings but it should be under advance or so... Just go into every menu and search for onboard video...
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 3:13:55 AM

most new mb will turn off the onboard video for you. one thing to check is the size of your power supply and the video card..look at the 12v rail. some power supply's have more then one. if it a ps with one rail check that your not pulling more currant then it rated for. also check that you have both power plugs on the video card plugged in, some cards have one and some have two.
if it not the power supply being under sized or close. try running memtest on your ram to see if you have a bad bit. there is a glitch with nvidia video drivers and flash and firefox. you have to update flash and firefox but also turn off hardware in flash.
i would also use gpu-z to check the gpu temp that the fan is working on the card.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 3:14:41 AM

are you getting any artifacts or discoloration right before the "driver stops responding but recovers" error happens? if so you most likely have a faulty video card.
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 5:13:39 AM

There is no reason to disable the onboard GPU. It is disabled automatically when a card is inserted(unless you turn it back on for multimonitor support), and doing so will just cause issues if your card goes bad since you wont be able to see to turn it back on.

If you actually installed the drivers for the onboard card then added a dedicated one without removing them that could cause issues. you should uninstall both then run driver sweeper, then just reinstall the dedicated drivers.

Otherwise its not related to the onboard GPU
m
l
May 21, 2012 5:12:30 PM

Hm getting lots of different replies.

The video card is a Sapphire 5770 1G, I also installed a new PSU with it thats 600W. Right now there is only one 6pin in it, wondering if I should put two 6pins in it? I dont thinks its an overheating problem, heres my GPU stats.

Thos are the stats for when I am currently running the program that caused the crash multiple times.

When the dude installed the new vid card, he just literally plugged it in along with the PSU, ran Catalyst (I think thats what its called) and installed the driver. Didnt do anything else.
m
l
!