Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Nvidia's GTX 570, or a newer, more expensive card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 2:27:43 AM

Hello. Now that classes are over, I'm finally free to splurge a bit on some gaming upgrades. For a while I've been eyeing the GTX 570, such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the Radeon 6970. I've heard various things about both cards, such as that the 570 is better but pricier, or that the Radeon has a better ratio of price/performance. Anyways, I'll break down my needs so as to better assist any advice.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 2 months

BUDGET RANGE: $0-$300 (give or take 20 dollars or so)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (99%), maybe the tiniest bit of amateur video editing. The games I'm wanting to run are pretty straightforward: BF3, Arkham City, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim (I have BF3, BM:AC, Diablo 3 and Skyrim currently) I'm looking to run them at relatively high, if not max settings, at a steady framerate ^30 fps.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon 5670 1 GB from Gigabyte and Coolermaster 650W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (CPU: Intel i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66 Ghz ,MOBO: EVGA P55 FTW 200, SLI LGA 1156 ,Intel P55 ATX, Memory - Corsair XMS 3 DHX 4GB, 240-pin, DDR3, SDRAM 1333 (2x2), CASE: Thermaltake Mid-tower case
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer well-known Nvidia or Radeon brands, such as EVGA, Sapphire, etc.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (if safe) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Only if it's very worth it

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Main concern is whether the 570 is too outdated: it's been a year or so, to my knowledge, and now that the 600 series and the radeon 7xxx series is out I'm wondering if in the long run it might be worth it to pick one of those up now. Is the 680 worth the ~ 200 dollar increase? Likewise is the 7xxx series worth it, and is it comparable to the 600 series in terms of performance and price? I'm not aiming to run these games at max settings, preferably a good mix of high and very high at a nice fps. Thanks in advance for the help!
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 2:35:00 AM

bgdiner said:
Hello. Now that classes are over, I'm finally free to splurge a bit on some gaming upgrades. For a while I've been eyeing the GTX 570, such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the Radeon 6970. I've heard various things about both cards, such as that the 570 is better but pricier, or that the Radeon has a better ratio of price/performance. Anyways, I'll break down my needs so as to better assist any advice.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 2 months

BUDGET RANGE: $0-$300 (give or take 20 dollars or so)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (99%), maybe the tiniest bit of amateur video editing. The games I'm wanting to run are pretty straightforward: BF3, Arkham City, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim (I have BF3, BM:AC, Diablo 3 and Skyrim currently) I'm looking to run them at relatively high, if not max settings, at a steady framerate ^30 fps.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon 5670 1 GB from Gigabyte and Coolermaster 650W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (CPU: Intel i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66 Ghz ,MOBO: EVGA P55 FTW 200, SLI LGA 1156 ,Intel P55 ATX, Memory - Corsair XMS 3 DHX 4GB, 240-pin, DDR3, SDRAM 1333 (2x2), CASE: Thermaltake Mid-tower case
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer well-known Nvidia or Radeon brands, such as EVGA, Sapphire, etc.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (if safe) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Only if it's very worth it

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Main concern is whether the 570 is too outdated: it's been a year or so, to my knowledge, and now that the 600 series and the radeon 7xxx series is out I'm wondering if in the long run it might be worth it to pick one of those up now. Is the 680 worth the ~ 200 dollar increase? Likewise is the 7xxx series worth it, and is it comparable to the 600 series in terms of performance and price? I'm not aiming to run these games at max settings, preferably a good mix of high and very high at a nice fps. Thanks in advance for the help!

For $400 you can get the 670 which is MUCHHHHHHHHHHH faster than the 570.

The 670 and 680 are very similar in performance, the only difference is that its $100 more ~!

m
l
May 21, 2012 2:39:16 AM

The 570 is a terrible deal at $300. Your best options (depending on what you want to spend) are:

Radeon HD 7850 @ $240-260
Radeon HD 7870 @ $320-350
GTX 670 @ $400-410

The 7850 and 7870 overclock like monsters. A 7850 OC will match or beat a GTX 570, and the 7870 beats it at stock and then overclocked gives way more performance. Obviously GTX 670 beats them all.

At 1440x900, I recommend the 7850. No reason to spend over $300 on a GPU to play games at that resolution :) 
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 2:39:41 AM

At 1440x900 any of those cards will max the games you talk of with > 60 fps (lowest). 670 is the best value right now however, so if you plan on upgrading your monitor resolution definitely look at that.
m
l
May 21, 2012 4:01:24 AM

Yeah, I do plan on upgrading to a better monitor at some point down the line, though I'm not sure when that will happen.

Another question to supplement the first: what's a good mobo for around 200 (give or take)? My current one had some problems fitting in the smaller 5670, and I know the next card I get probably won't fit. I don't know much about what makes a mobo "good," so do you guys have any recommendations for a mobo for a big card?

Also, thanks for the replies pertaining to the graphics card. I'm leaning towards the 670 right now.
m
l
a c 204 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 5:27:52 AM

most of the newer gigabyte boards now are made for sli. the 3 and 5 series for the z77.
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...
as long as the newer mb vendor space the two slots apart from each other and the case slots and hard drive bays dont line up to one of those slots. you should be able to fit any two slot video card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 5:40:23 AM

You will be needing a new CPU if you upgrade to a z77 chipset motherboard.
m
l
May 21, 2012 6:04:46 AM

Gamer-girl said:
You will be needing a new CPU if you upgrade to a z77 chipset motherboard.

yeah, though it's on my list (in addition to the monitor), I'd like to keep the CPU I have now. Are there any other motherboards compatible with my CPU that'll fit a GPU such as a 670 (which is like 11 inches I think)? Thanks
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:18:31 AM

if gaming is your biggest priority, then i would save an extra $100 for a gtx 670. the boost is huge, and imo it's the best value for what it gives right now!
i know your budget is tight but ivy bridge just came out - i'd try and save for a z77 motherboard (asus, gigabyte, asrock?) + an i5-3507k or something like that.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:22:02 AM

This is your motherboard right?
http://www.evga.com/articles/00502/ftw200/

Seems like a long graphics card would fit there are you worried about that black heatsink to the right of the PCI-E slot? It won't get in the way, most motherboards have the same design. You just have to check the space available in your case.

The reference GTX670 is 9.5 inches and the Gigabyte version with triple fans is 11 inches.
May 21, 2012 7:23:12 AM

The 670 is the best deal right now! And I would read toms reviews about IVY BRIDGE and the 670 before upgrading. Your current CPU might bottleneck a 670, but I could be wrong...
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:31:48 AM

Gamer-girl said:
This is your motherboard right?
http://www.evga.com/articles/00502/ftw200/

Seems like a long graphics card would fit there are you worried about that black heatsink to the right of the PCI-E slot? It won't get in the way, most motherboards have the same design. You just have to check the space available in your case.

The reference GTX670 is 9.5 inches and the Gigabyte version with triple fans is 11 inches.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it. I'll remeasure it tomorrow, but I think I recall that when installing my smaller 5670 it was a tight squeeze, and I think this might be wider (not sure though). If not though, that'll be a relief. In reference to the original post, I've decided for the most part that I'm going to splurge (more so :p ) on the 670. Even though it's brand new, and I've definitely had my share of early-adoptee woes over the years, it seems generally well proven so far, and customer support from most of the 670 manufacturers is pretty good from what I've heard.

Thanks to all who gave their advice. I appreciate the help on these forums; anyways, have a good night!
m
l
May 21, 2012 1:32:56 PM

Most any mobo will handle a long graphics card - your case is almost always the limiting factor for how large a card you can fit. Your motherboard looks like it would handle the long GPU just fine.

Anyways, an i5-750 isn't gonna bottleneck a GTX 670 - at least not enough to say "don't purchase it until you get a new CPU".
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:28:28 AM

Best answer selected by bgdiner.
m
l
!