Upgrade existing or build new comp for around ~1100$

rebellod

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hi there,
First time posting, although usually browse forums for advice. I have a almost 4 year old system, and although it can run newer games on low to medium settings, I'm looking to upgrade it or build a new computer for the release of newer games. I'll post my current system to see what people think of it, and my thoughts so far on new components for a new system, or whether or not its worth it to integrate it into my current system, especially where it is outdated.The system I have atm is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 Ghz 6MB L2
Asus P5Q-E SLI S775 650i C2D DDRII GBLan 6-ch audio
OCZ Reaper4 GB (2x2GB) PC8500 DDR2-1066MHz RAM
Western Digital SATA2 750 GB hard drive, 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
BFG GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB GDDR3 PCIe dual DVI
Pioneer DVR-216 20x +/- Dual Layer SATA DVD Burner
OCZ Stealthstream 500W /Active PFC Power Supply

Approximate Purchase Date: Looking to upgrade or build new system as soon as possible

Budget Range: ~1100-1300 preferred, as I could sell my old system for around 500 to help offset costs

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming mostly, internet/university work/movies

Are you buying a monitor: No, have a 19" widescreen, and will be buying a 24" led as soon as I can find a good one with an HDMI port for my PS3

Parts to Upgrade: Everything if needed, I don't think most of my parts are any good in future-proofing a computer for the next 4 years at least

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Futureshop/Bestbuy, http://www.greenlyph.com/ (this is the company that built my last system for $1100)

Parts Preferences: Am looking for quality companies that have good track records and warrenties, like EVGA's lifetime warrenties on graphics cards, even for OC'ing

Overclocking: Maybe, but not essential

SLI or Crossfire: Not atm, but would like my CPU/Mobo to be able to handle SLI if I find 2 GTX 560 ti's for cheap

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900, but looking for a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 LED 24" if I can find a good one for cheap

Additional Comments: Just looking to future-proof my computer for the next couple of years and be able to run games on max settings again like I could when I first made my current build. Looking for some more cooling since lately my computer CPU has been overheating, as I didn't get extra cooling when I first built it as I didn't know much about computers then. Would like parts that can be upgraded, like a motherboard that will run the newer 3.0 PCIe (think I have that right, Z77 or something?) and an Ivy bridge processor for the next gen 3.0 GPU's (read about that somewhere, I could be mistaken) I play a lot of newer games like Skyrim, going to be buying the new Darksiders and Bioshock Infinite, and want to run new games coming out on max settings.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current computer is slow at times, and games crash occasionally when trying to play on higher settings

CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
Looking at the Ivy Bridge i5 3570, as I've read its all you need for gaming right now, and i7's are overkill. getting the Ivy Bridge since it's gonna support the PCIe 3.0

MoBo: I don't really know anything about motherboards, except that I read somewhere that you want to get a Z77 as its more future-proof? Have an ASUS one currently, and I've never had any problems with any ports on the mobo.

Memory: Looking at DDR3 8 Gb's of 1600 Mhz, don't know brands so was going to do some research on that part.

Hard Disk: Looking for a 1 TB HD or even 750 Gb is fine, as I'm going to buy a 3 TB external (Seagate most likely, as I heard they are good) to hold my media/games

Video Card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007708%2050001402%20600094002%20600107147&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20560%20Ti%20%28Fermi%29
was looking at the GTX 560 ti's as I've heard good things about them, and don't want to pay for the GTX 600 series, trying to stick with nvidia as I've always had nvidia GPU's. I don't know what the difference in these cards is as they're all 560 ti's, but some just have different clocking speeds, although I can OC easily with a downloadable program.

DVD drive: I don't know anything about dvd drives, and whether or not its worth to get a blu-ray capable one, since I have a ps3, and whether a blu-ray burner is necessary.

Power Supply: Was looking at getting around a 750 or 850W PSU in case I get an extra 560 ti to SLI, and just to have extra power in case I upgrade any parts. Or is my 500W enough power, or even getting just a 550/650W PSU

Cooling: I've only ever had stock cooling fans that have come with the case. Is a heatsink better than liquid cooling, or will just an extra fan do the job?
Also, what is CPU cooling and why do I see so many people getting them with their computers? I thought the CPU internal fans did a good enough job of cooling?

Just wanted to say a huge thanks in advance to anyone who may read/comment on this, and forgive my lack of knowledge/forum etiquette if I did something I was not supposed to. I may have missed out on some crucial part perhaps too.
I'll probably end up looking for the parts on the greenlyph website that I specified as they're the local computer shop that builds the computers, as I don't know if I could built it myself without breaking anything on the mobo/CPU
Thanks, David

Solution
Looking at the Ivy Bridge i5 3570, as I've read its all you need for gaming right now, and i7's are overkill. getting the Ivy Bridge since it's gonna support the PCIe 3.0

That is correct.

MoBo: I don't really know anything about motherboards, except that I read somewhere that you want to get a Z77 as its more future-proof? Have an ASUS one currently, and I've never had any problems with any ports on the mobo.

Z68 won't work with the 3570K out of the box as you'll need a Sandy Bridge CPU installed in order to update the BIOS. The Z77 will prevent that from happening and it unlocks PCI Gen 3.

Memory: Looking at DDR3 8 Gb's of 1600 Mhz, don't know brands so was going to do some research on that part.

What RAM you...

g-unit1111

Titan

That is correct.

Z68 won't work with the 3570K out of the box as you'll need a Sandy Bridge CPU installed in order to update the BIOS. The Z77 will prevent that from happening and it unlocks PCI Gen 3.

What RAM you get is determined by what motherboard you get - as long as the speeds and voltage match you should be fine. Crucial, G.Skill, PNY, and Kingston are all top tier manufacturers.

was looking at the GTX 560 ti's as I've heard good things about them, and don't want to pay for the GTX 600 series, trying to stick with nvidia as I've always had nvidia GPU's. I don't know what the difference in these cards is as they're all 560 ti's, but some just have different clocking speeds, although I can OC easily with a downloadable program.

If you wait a bit the 660TI should be released and it will be priced in the $250 - $300 range.

DVD drive: I don't know anything about dvd drives, and whether or not its worth to get a blu-ray capable one, since I have a ps3, and whether a blu-ray burner is necessary.

I like Lite On DVD burners - they're solid and get the job done. You don't need BD-R if you're not going to be watching movies or doing intensive backups.

Cooling: I've only ever had stock cooling fans that have come with the case. Is a heatsink better than liquid cooling, or will just an extra fan do the job?
Also, what is CPU cooling and why do I see so many people getting them with their computers? I thought the CPU internal fans did a good enough job of cooling?

Air is always - *ALWAYS* safer than liquid. CPUs get hot and they require special cooling if you're going to be putting them to intensive use - like games for instance. The cooler will also allow you to safely overclock your CPU to a certain speed depending on which cooler you get.

Solution

rebellod

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
After looking around at some parts, a friend advised me on the following:

Mobo: $122.25
GIGABYTE S.1155 INTEL Z77 MATX-4D.DDR3,PCIE
X16/X4/X1/PCI,VGA-+DVID+
HDMI/GBLAN,4XUSB3,RAIDGIGABYTE Technology, Inc $

RAM: $55

rebellod

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
After looking around at some parts, a friend advised me on the following:

Mobo: $122.25
GIGABYTE S.1155 INTEL Z77 MATX-4D.DDR3,PCIE
X16/X4/X1/PCI,VGA-+DVID+
HDMI/GBLAN,4XUSB3,RAIDGIGABYTE Technology, Inc $

RAM: $55
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
Memory Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1600 MHz
DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 - Non-ECC - 240-pin DIMM8 GB (2 x 4
GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1600 MHz DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 - Non-
ECC - 240-pin DIMMKingston Technology Co

HD: $87.30
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1 TB 3.5" Internal Hard
Drive - 1 Pack - SATA/600 - 7200 rpm - 32 MB Buffer - Hot
SwappableSATA/600 - 7200 rpm - 32 MB Buffer - Hot
SwappableWestern Digital Corporation

He also suggested going with a 120 Gb SSD for an extra $125, but I don't know if that's going to be worth it.

DVD Drive: $19.90
LG GH24NS90 SATA 24X DVD-RW-DRIVE, BLACK, INTERNAL,-
BULK, NO CABLE, NO SWLG Electronics

Heatsink : $85
Zalman CNPS12X Pure COPPER/ALUMINUM High Perf Triple 1
Fan CPU Cooler LGA2011 1156 1155 1366 FM1 AM3

Video Card: I asked about getting a Nvidia 660 ti, but he said that the Radeon 7850 would be the most bang for my buck so looking at that one atm, $276.83
Asus HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 Graphic Card - 1
GPUs - 870 MHz Core - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI-Express 3.0
x16 - 1210 MHz Memory Clock - 2560 x 1600 - CrossFireX - Fan
Cooler - DirectX 11.1, OpenGL 4.2 - HDMI - DisplayPort -
DVI1210 MHz Memory Clock -

PSU : $80
ANTEC EARTHWATTS 650W GREEN-PSU-0761345-27654- 1
2Antec, IncOur Part #: 2983876

Case: $90
Cougar Evolution Black ATX Full Tower Gaming Case 6X5.25 1
1X3.5 4X2.5INT USB3.0 No PSU

CPU: decided with the i5-3570k, $256
Intel Core i5 i5-3570K 3.40 GHz Processor - Socket H2 LGA- 1
1155 - Quad-core (4 Core) - 6 MB Cache - 5 GT/s DMIQuad-core
(4 Core) - 6 MB Cache - 5 GT/s DMIIntel Corporation

any thoughts/input would be great, as am going to put the order in by next week,
Thanks David