Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading old computer. Advice?

Last response: in CPUs
November 24, 2012 3:20:16 PM

Hey guys, I would like to upgrade my older PC a little bit. It is serviceable so I don't want to splurge and buy a completely new computer (but it 'hangs' a lot, which is really annoying). However, I haven't followed PC hardware for a long time.. anyone able to give me an idea of what CPU I should get for my motherboard? And if there are any quick/cheap upgrades I could do with it?

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (Socket 775) Conroe 65nm
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 1.80GHz
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 201MHz (4-4-4-12)
20MB GeForce 8800 GTS (nVidia)
298GB Seagate (SATA)

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2012 3:42:45 PM

It would be useful if you could provide details of what you use your computer for, and the country you live in. This will help people suggest things that are much more specific and helpful to you.

Speaking purely in general terms, you will struggle to find cost effective performance upgrades as everything compatible will have been discontinued. You might get lucky and find something useful here and there, but usually you'll have problems.

Some stuff that might be useful-
http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-po...

CPU support list for the three versions of your motherboard (you'll need to check which version it is). Basically, a lot of the newer socket775 processors might not be supported.

My advice? Keep saving. If that PC satisfies your needs while just being a little sluggish, then more or less anything new will do the job. Either look out for sale prices, or look at putting together something cheap in the near future. Upgrading that machine is probably going to be expensive for minimal gains, and probably a fair amount of hassle.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2012 5:08:07 PM

Hi :) 

More RAM is all you could do with that system...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
November 24, 2012 6:23:13 PM

Hi I have some practice with old PC so what i did to my PC
1) changed CPU, in your case for you i recoment Intel pentium extreme edition or Intel Core 2 Quoad
2) add some RAM it always gives you some performance
3) new CPU needs more power so change your PSU!
4) Add new HDD or SSD :D 
5) Change optical disk drivers
6) Give some cooling by adding better or more Fans
7) if you can new GPU

My PC is made 7 years ago but i can still play new games LIKE GTA IV on medium!
thnx to new parts! and overclocking :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2012 9:44:55 PM

Wow, that's a hell lot of upgrading to do. More like buy a new PC

Ox-49's Idea is not a bad one but I will go with "Brett928S2" and suggest you add more RAM, then see the difference
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
November 24, 2012 11:07:36 PM

A fresh OS installation cures many ills.

Not sure that would fix the *hang* though ...

m
l
!